• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Shaft bearings SHOT!!! Now stuck shaft...ugh!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Murf'n'surf -Curious why you are shipping them to Riva and not just going to a local Yamaha Dealer.....pressing on bearings can't be that hard with the right tool. Wouldn't shipping be more than the labor? Or is your local dealer (there's one in Osprey near my parents old house) not a safe place to get work done?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My local dealers are crap!! If I dropped them off today, I would be lucky to get them back in the next 2 weeks and pray they were done right. I drive EVERYTHING to Riva because they do it right and do it fast. Naples is good for old farts, beaches, weather and old farts!

Shipping was $28. I might upgrade my props too. You guys have any suggestions on what pitch?

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So y'all have a few old farts in Naples?!! Lol

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Ok murf...I see the tools, describe the heroics. Great job!

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok murf...I see the tools, describe the heroics. Great job!
Yesterday I was beating on wood, today I used those galvanized dock lag bolts. I stuck them through the intake grate and centered the blow on the impeller collar. That was all I needed! I guess the wood softened the blow just enough that it wouldn't work.

Rigger

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not much help here but I did this a few years ago to change out impellers to SOLAS. I pulled the shafts right out and while I had e'm out I figured it wouldn't hurt to pop the cones of and just take a look. Good thing I did as some water had certainly made it's way in. I dumped the grease, cleaned out the housing as best I could and "repacked" with Island Racings magical formula which they make in house. Stuff is slicker than snot!

Cowboy Casey

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nice, atleast you got it off... do you think you will have to replace the shaft?

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I didn't install a zerk. What I did was take some advice from the PWC crowd and convert the cones to an oil bath. It was easy and now it makes it easy to change the oil once a season without taking it all apart. Now I run Amsoil 80W90 synthetic gear lube. The plug is a fill plug so to drain it I have to take the pump off, which I do once a year anyway. I fill them about 2/3 full. So far it has been good. Cam
Bearing Housing Oil Plug 2.JPG

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Sorry I found this thread late but loctite makes a freezing spray now that shrinks metals slightly for such things. We use it at work all the time for stuck bearings. Works like a champ!

Rigger

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Rigger I've heard of this lube. Does he sell it?
He does! Just ask for the "Island Racing Bearing Grease". It's a crazy combo - it's now more like an oil bath for the bearings then the factory grease. Far superior if you ask me.

Rigger

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I didn't install a zerk. What I did was take some advice from the PWC crowd and convert the cones to an oil bath. It was easy and now it makes it easy to change the oil once a season without taking it all apart. Now I run Amsoil 80W90 synthetic gear lube. The plug is a fill plug so to drain it I have to take the pump off, which I do once a year anyway. I fill them about 2/3 full. So far it has been good. Cam
View attachment 1013
Nice!!!!

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The example that I copied the idea from was done in plastic. I also read that you can make your own super-lube by mixing amzoil 80W90 gearlube with amzoil synthetic grease to make a slurry. They call for APO#0 grease which is very thin. I think the idea is that it flows more than regular grease and therefore can get into the bearings. The APO#0 was impossible to find in my locale other than a 5gal bucket. My cones each had a tablespoon of water in them. I started to make the super-lube but then put in the plug and used only the oil. Not a mod for everyone, but I liked the oil bath idea since seadoo PWC and every outboard motor uses this method. Cam.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Sorry I found this thread late but loctite makes a freezing spray now that shrinks metals slightly for such things. We use it at work all the time for stuck bearings. Works like a champ!
Would it work for freeing bolts that have had the heads broken off. I'd spray the loctite on the bolt and then start drilling with my reverse/left handed bit?

primedoc

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ouch! Yeah, water penetration and it will toast them. We had a member...speaking of, anyone hear from Cam? We need to drag him here...sorry, I was saying, a member, Cam I think, installed a zerk on the cone!
What is a "zerk?" Is that something that goes on a plane? :)

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Would it work for freeing bolts that have had the heads broken off. I'd spray the loctite on the bolt and then start drilling with my reverse/left handed bit?
We have never used it for that application but I wouldn't see it wouldn't work.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I used plenty of PB blaster and then I used a bolt/nut setup that I threaded through on the outside of the jet pump. When I screwed the bolt in it pressed up against the back side and forced the jet pump off. I worked each side a little at a time, alternating screwing the bolt in. I would have to send you a pic but I understand you have the job done.

What did you do to finally get this off.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Post up the pic for future members who might reference this thread in the future.

I used a long bolt to reach through the intake grate and tapped the impeller collar until it broke free.