• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

ShoreLand'r Trailer Recall May 17th 2024

Patricko315

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking at these bunk photos and the recall notice, I’m unclear what’s scratching the boat? Can somebody post a picture without the boat on the trailer and show what bolt or brackets to look for.

GAboater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
My FSH 222 Sport E was hard to get up on the trailer due to the front chine dragging down the middle of the bunk. You can see the grove in the picture. We have deep boat ramps here so I would think where others have more shallow ramps it would be even worst.

IMG_7706.jpeg
IMG_7702.jpegIMG_7704.jpeg

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
Looking at these bunk photos and the recall notice, I’m unclear what’s scratching the boat? Can somebody post a picture without the boat on the trailer and show what bolt or brackets to look for.
For some it was 5he design if the rear bunks in conjuction with shallow ramps that is causing damage to the chines. On others there are screws sticking up through the carpet.

highway76

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
Just to clarify, the space between the bunks where the chine should ride is too narrow. On the old style bunks, the wood is held to the bracket with screws through the side of the board. In some situations (ramp angle too shallow, ramp uneven, trailer not deep enough, approach angle into trailer wrong, etc) it is possible for the edge of the chine to grind along the sides of the bunk, hitting the mounting screw head and causing major damage. Like @GAboater mentioned, this is exaggerated by shallow angle ramps.

Why were the bunks put that tight on the 22 models? To accomodate the ballast filling holes on the wake models and possibly the livewell pumps on the FSH, though I havent ever looked at where they are.

The solution is a new bracket style that removes the side screw so there is no metal to hit, but this will not alleviate the dragging down the middle of the bunk. In my case, the dealer moved the bunk outward a few inches, and now the chine really has no chance of hitting that bunk. On the wake models I don't think this is possible, so curious to see what the solution is. I've launched 3-4 times with the new bunks, it centers much easier and havent seen any damage to the bunks or boat. I don't really see this as a voluntary recall, you should definitely get them swapped and adjusted. I didnt notice any damage or rubbing until this summer, and thats probably because the lake level is down from last year, causing a more shallow angle at my ramp. You could end up with some scuffing like me, or tearing through the gel coat into fiberglass like others. I wouldn't risk it.

MNJets

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SD
Boat Length
Just brought mine home for some minor adjustments. I see that the bunks have been moved from the original location already. I purchased it in March of this year. View attachment 222835
I did the 10 hour service on my new 222XD last week and took a photo of the boat on the trailer. My trailer falls under the recall notice but based on your pictures Vs. my setup I don't see why I need to take the trailer in. I never thought about laying on the ground to get shots of the boat's underside... that would have been a good idea to document my boat.July 2024 photo of boat in trailer.jpg

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I did the 10 hour service on my new 222XD last week and took a photo of the boat on the trailer. My trailer falls under the recall notice but based on your pictures Vs. my setup I don't see why I need to take the trailer in. I never thought about laying on the ground to get shots of the boat's underside... that would have been a good idea to document my boat.
This is exactly the reason this is not a recall. (even though folks are not reading the paper correctly) Everyone effected should go back to the first page or read the document sent. This is a "Voluntary Service Bulletin" The same as the type that Yamaha issues for all powersport products with less severe issues.

A recall is more serious and is telling the customer that if they do not bring the product in, the MFG is not responsible for losses or failures and will cover correcting the issue.

A service bulletin is a notice to the owner that they may experience an issue, and you can voluntarily bring it in and the mfg will repair or replace the failure if you are actually experiencing it. But it may not be experienced by all. Sometimes, they will correct it even if it has not failed, but it is at their discretion. (sort of like the timing chain SB that was issued almost 10 years ago, it was never a recall and they did not have to honor it to anyone other than the primary owner)

These are, in fact, legal terms and both are for CYA purposes on Yamaha/Shorland'r's part. With powersports, a service bulletin many times does not mean the MFG has to do anything at all, if you are not experiencing the documented issue. That's why the owner is not calling the shots on a Service Bulletin, and it many times voluntary. But a recall is pretty much telling the owner, bring it in or we are not responsible for the outcome.

Some MFG's take it a step further and issue a stop ride/stop sale, where serious outcomes may occur without the recall being performed. All three need to be understood that you may not experience the issue/failure. So in this case, inspect and take the appropriate action, but you are not required to.

highway76

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
This is exactly the reason this is not a recall. (even though folks are not reading the paper correctly) Everyone effected should go back to the first page or read the document sent. This is a "Voluntary Service Bulletin" The same as the type that Yamaha issues for all powersport products with less severe issues.

A recall is more serious and is telling the customer that if they do not bring the product in, the MFG is not responsible for losses or failures and will cover correcting the issue.

A service bulletin is a notice to the owner that they may experience an issue, and you can voluntarily bring it in and the mfg will repair or replace the failure if you are actually experiencing it. But it may not be experienced by all. Sometimes, they will correct it even if it has not failed, but it is at their discretion. (sort of like the timing chain SB that was issued almost 10 years ago, it was never a recall and they did not have to honor it to anyone other than the primary owner)

These are, in fact, legal terms and both are for CYA purposes on Yamaha/Shorland'r's part. With powersports, a service bulletin many times does not mean the MFG has to do anything at all, if you are not experiencing the documented issue. That's why the owner is not calling the shots on a Service Bulletin, and it many times voluntary. But a recall is pretty much telling the owner, bring it in or we are not responsible for the outcome.

Some MFG's take it a step further and issue a stop ride/stop sale, where serious outcomes may occur without the recall being performed. All three need to be understood that you may not experience the issue/failure. So in this case, inspect and take the appropriate action, but you are not required to.
I agree about it not actually being a recall, 100% not required to, but why wouldnt you take it in and get it swapped? I think the difference is this isn't a situation where your trailer or boat might not experience the damage, its solely dependent on the ramp you are using. For example, if you have a 22' boat and go to my ramp, its only going to get a little scuffed up. If I took my boat to the guys ramp whose chine was destroyed, it would 100% destroy mine also, no question. One of the ramps nearby is steep enough to not experience any chine dragging. If I only used that one, I would think my boat wasn't affected. If I took my boat to a more shallow ramp next year and trashed the chines, I'd be paying out of pocket.

FWIW my local dealer is swapping all of their new 2024's now before delivering.