• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sick to my stomach - Need guidance

bgood188

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
Today I thought I would get a couple hr's on the water between calls. I had a bone head move and hit a dock that was not in place yet. So, it had a diamond plate hanging down which I did not see when I swing the back end in.Scar1.jpgScar2.jpg

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not meaning to be funny here, but congrats on getting the first scratch out of the way....

Now lets get it fixed! Is the damage into the fiberglass or just the gelcoat, it looks like its into the glass from here.....

Did the wound puncture the hull, or make it soft and pliable to the touch? If so we may need to go at this from both sides, if not we can fix it from just the outside...

Can you get access to a gelcoat patching kit from the dealer that will match the color exactly, or get the color-code at least?

A little glass/gelcoat putty, some wet-sanding and color-matching and you'll be good as new.....Or you can just have it done!

Also shoot @Glassman a message, he might have better info!

Good luck and "Welcome to the First Scratch Club!" ---There are many of us here! :winkingthumbsup"

jetboat623

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Axis
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Is it cut deep? Looks pretty smooth in the picture. If its not cut into deep. I would start with a clay bar to remove any debris left behind and prevent further damage. I would then get some gel goat rubbing compound and a DA polisher. That should get some of the white out and probably bring back a lot of the red.

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Beautiful boat by the way!

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
nice effing cover by the way. Is that Yamaha or after market?

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If you don't feel comfortable fixing the scratch yourself a good marine shop can fix it in a day and make it look as good as new. My guess it would cost you about $100 to have fixed.

bgood188

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
you want that fixed, or just hidden?
I'm new to boats (as you can tell) so fixed or hidden is confusing to me. I want the boat in the best shape possible. The white in the middle is pretty solid and is not spongy to the touch. I looked inside and cannot tell or see the damage ( no softness).

I'm open to being coached through the first scratch on my boat.

Magic it is funny but it still sucks :)

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you don't feel comfortable fixing the scratch yourself a good marine shop can fix it in a day and make it look as good as new. My guess it would cost you about $100 to have fixed.
Only thing is...A "Good" shop may fix it in a day (probably two-three), but they are usually booked a month out so that day or two could be a month from now. So that's why a lot of people unknowingly end up at "Not-so-good" shops.
They ain't busy! :cool:

Fortunately the boat hasn't had too many days in the sun so color matching shouldn't be an issue and the wet sanding and buffing to blend the color should be minimal.

If it's stored outdoors and you are going to think on it a while, cover it with Saran wrap or something to keep it clean and dry.

bgood188

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
I'm comfortable fixing it myself. It's stored in doors and only has about 6 hr's on it. I just need to figure out where to buy the gelcoat.

I will start with my dealer.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
bgood....fixed means just that - like it never happened. What most would want.
Hidden = sealed, but looks not so good so you put a sticker over it. Don't laugh, I see it done all the time. Along the lines of what most guys do when they install a Keel Guard. Just patch it and cover it.

You probably want a proper job, I would.

But I would never blow smoke and tell you that you can do it without any experience.... you could probably come darn close, if close is good enough.

If you want to tackle it, just let me know.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

bgood188

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
Close is good enough. A sticker is not a choice so I now under stand why I was confused. Hidden is not me.

Yes, I want to tackle it.

bgood188

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
Glassman You rock. I have the 2014 maple red. I will place the order today so when I get back from my week of travels I may have something to work with. Any other items I should order to help with the process?

Sanding supplies I have and thats not an issue.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You need to make sure that it is the right color but I believe that this YAMAHA MAPLE RED 14
patch kit, a little bit of very fine sand paper and some elbow grease will take care of it.

I edited the post to link to the correct Maple Red Color

Last edited:

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Not plain sandpaper, you will need wet sand paper and all the way to 600+ grit would be good. Even finer if you want, just makes the buffing go easier. @Glassman is the resident expert and he can lead you on this better than I...I have only done white. Red is going to be a challenge and it will show if it isn't perfect I would think. Take pics and keep us posted! And...good luck on the repair!

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Plenty of paper towels, latex gloves, a few popsicle sticks and small Dixie cups

-Vinyl-ester resin and MEK
-Sand Paper (80 grit/ coarse)
-Sand Paper (180 grit/ medium)
-Sand Paper (360 grit/ fine)
-Sand Paper (1200 grit/ ultra fine) All above is wet/dry
-2-inch Masking Tape
-Gel Coat hardener
-Gel Coat (color matched)
-Acetone (Patch Aid in humid climates)
-Polishing Compound
-Electric or Air Buffer
-Spray gun (touch-up gun) small craft type air brush will work
-3M Finesse-It II Finishing Material
-Marine Paste Wax

I would use a tiny amount of resin to seal the exposed glass, but it isn't 100% necessary...just the way I do things. It may be cost prohibitive to buy it for such a tiny area.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Glassman, where would you get the color matched Gel Coat?