• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SkiSafe Insurance "Navigational Limits"

King

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Been getting insurance quotes and came across something that looks a little weird. In filling out all of the little boxes and what not on the SkiSafe quote generator page I clicked "Both" when it asked; Salt, Fresh, or Both. We live close to Florida and have a desire to hit the the waters down that way at some point. Here's the weird part. On the conformation "buy now" page at the very bottom in the legal print area I see the statement below...

1659447378672.png

I went back and checked Fresh Only and it ended the statement at Canada. Salt Only looks like what's pasted above. Am I reading that correctly? If insured through SkiSafe we won't be covered between Fernandina Beach and Brownsville? That just seems weird to me. I mean, I knew some insurers wouldn't cover the Bimini crossing or other international waters type of activities. But damn near the entire southern coast line of the United States? No Crab Island, no Marco Island, no Florida Keys?

As a side note, Progressive tells me that their coverage extends out 75 miles 90 miles, if I remember correctly. I specifically asked about Bimini and it's covered with Progressive. I guess Flo likes to get her Bahamian Beach Thing on.

EDIT: Found my Progressive quote and their costal navigation limit is 75 miles, not the 90 that I thought it was.

1659453189209.png

Last edited:

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I quoted both with my 252SE, I got better coverage for same price at Progressive.

King

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I quoted both with my 252SE, I got better coverage for same price at Progressive.
So far they've been the price leader on this end as well. I'm 99% sure that'll be the route we take. Everything else we have is insured through them.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So after reading this post, I decided I would reach out to my agent regarding coverage and Navigational Limits. Here is what he responded with: AAA Insurance

Hello Charles,

Unless you intend to go way way out into the Atlantic or Gulf of MX you are all set.

Our agent guide only states that “Boats or PWC registered or principally docked, moored, or stored in Florida, Georgia, and Tennessee are unacceptible.”

Since your boat is registered in MI and principally stored in MI you meet this requirement.

The policy itself (attached, please look it over) only mentions “territory” once from what I saw, see page 16 lower left side. And the requirement is fairly straight forward, have an active policy and stay within 75 Nautical Miles of the USA or Canada. But you could drop the boat in the Detroit River and make your way to South Padre’ Island and remain insured.

Attachments

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Been getting insurance quotes and came across something that looks a little weird. In filling out all of the little boxes and what not on the SkiSafe quote generator page I clicked "Both" when it asked; Salt, Fresh, or Both. We live close to Florida and have a desire to hit the the waters down that way at some point. Here's the weird part. On the conformation "buy now" page at the very bottom in the legal print area I see the statement below...

View attachment 184342

I went back and checked Fresh Only and it ended the statement at Canada. Salt Only looks like what's pasted above. Am I reading that correctly? If insured through SkiSafe we won't be covered between Fernandina Beach and Brownsville? That just seems weird to me. I mean, I knew some insurers wouldn't cover the Bimini crossing or other international waters type of activities. But damn near the entire southern coast line of the United States? No Crab Island, no Marco Island, no Florida Keys?

As a side note, Progressive tells me that their coverage extends out 75 miles 90 miles, if I remember correctly. I specifically asked about Bimini and it's covered with Progressive. I guess Flo likes to get her Bahamian Beach Thing on.

EDIT: Found my Progressive quote and their costal navigation limit is 75 miles, not the 90 that I thought it was.

View attachment 184347
Capitalized “Salt Water” is a defined term somewhere in your quote - what does it say for that?

King

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Capitalized “Salt Water” is a defined term somewhere in your quote - what does it say for that?
Nice catch there. I didn't even notice that.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Also ski safe wont cover theft in FL
My policy with Ski Safe makes no mention of Florida exclusion for theft, it does have a higher theft deductable however. I believe I had to have them add it however, I dont remember exacty but I had to call to have something added, it was 2 years ago..

Also this is whats stated for my navagational limits:l Navigational Limits:Inland and coastwise waters of the United States and Canada.

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
My policy with Ski Safe makes no mention of Florida exclusion for theft, it does have a higher theft deductable however. I believe I had to have them add it however, I dont remember exacty but I had to call to have something added, it was 2 years ago..

Also this is whats stated for my navagational limits:l Navigational Limits:Inland and coastwise waters of the United States and Canada.
Its the reason i cancelled it, no therdt protection in Fl, i found out after it was mentioned by another member

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Its the reason i cancelled it, no therdt protection in Fl, i found out after it was mentioned by another member
SkiSafe confirmed my theft coverage for Florida. The deducable for theft is 3 times regular deductible. They are still the best quote I have received for Miami area.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They theiving boats like that down in Florida?

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The theft rate is high, if not he boats then the motors and electronics. I havent had any isuses in my storage facility (knock on wood)

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Outboard theft was/is a fairly common thing. Mercury 400s or similar aren't hard or tough to steal, and are fairly expensive.

Inboard or jet is a lotnless common, but insurance paints with a large wide brush.