• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Solar charging and dual banks?

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm SURE someone has done this already so I figured I'd ask about it

Thinking that I want to have a small solar panel setup to keep the batteries topped up, I've got 2 house batteries and a single starting battery. Dual circuit switch, ACR, that kinda stuff as well. I've seen that this works with shore power and a 2/3 bank noco charger, but what about if I'm gonna charge off a solar panel?

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I'm SURE someone has done this already so I figured I'd ask about it

Thinking that I want to have a small solar panel setup to keep the batteries topped up, I've got 2 house batteries and a single starting battery. Dual circuit switch, ACR, that kinda stuff as well. I've seen that this works with shore power and a 2/3 bank noco charger, but what about if I'm gonna charge off a solar panel?
Forget about using a 120v charger like a Norco. Its not worth the effort and expence to make those run off solar as you will need a battery bank and inverter.

You have 2 options. Fist is to get 12v solar charge controller and connect to your House bank, let the ACR control keeping the start battery charged. I do this with my setup 100w panel and 12v charge controller. It has kept everything charged for 2 years now.

2nd option is to get a 2 bank 12v charge contrller and connect one bank to House and one bank to start battery. MMPT charge controllers are most effeciant but cost a little more.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was kinda wondering if the ACR would just kinda take care of it all. In theory it'd link the two banks when the solar charger was working as it would be over the voltage requirement. A 2 bank solar controller might be better though, a since the banks wouldn't be identical.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I was kinda wondering if the ACR would just kinda take care of it all. In theory it'd link the two banks when the solar charger was working as it would be over the voltage requirement. A 2 bank solar controller might be better though, a since the banks wouldn't be identical.
I have a newer boat with the DVSR and my solar charger is connected to the house battery. As soon as the sun comes out the DVSR engages parallel the batteries, Once the batteries are charged the solar charger will just apply float voltage to keep them full, the DVSR it still engaged for that.

Finding out what voltage your ACR engages at will tell you if it will work, most likly it will though.