• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Solar panel and battery disconnect

Nauticajetter

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So it's confirmed by me seeing the red light on my DVSR when both battery switches were turned off. It does charge both batteries when switches are off. Fantastic. Thank you so much for figuring this out.

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
It appears that way.
In addition to the call I received a response to an email I sent:

From: "AMAUK BEP.App.Engineering" <BEPAPP.Engineering@powerprodllc.com>

Date: Sunday, June 25, 2017 at 16:07

To: "coheeba@gmail.com" <coheeba@gmail.com>

Cc: Shared Mailbox - Marinco Technical <AMNPA.technical@marinco.com>

Subject: RE: BEP Contact Us Message

Hi Rick,

Thank you for your enquiry. The DVSR is ‘Dual Sense’ unless the ‘Red Wire’ has been cut on the rear and wired to Ignition.

The unit engages at when it detects 13.4 VDC on either terminal immediately. It dis-engages when it detect s 12.8VDC after 20 seconds.

Best regards,

Kiel More

Application Engineer APAC

+64 9 448 0027 direct

+64 21 879 688 cell

kiel.more@powerprodllc.com

kmore@bepmarine.com

id:image001.png@01D29F04.F14FCC70

BEP Marine Ltd

42 Apollo Drive, Rosedale, Auckland, New Zealand.

P.O. Box 101739, North Shore Mail Centre

www.powerprodllc.com <http://www.powerprodllc.com>

id:image006.png@01D29F04.F14FCC70

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
One more thing, the tech said when you have the boat in long term storage (winter) and not on a charger, that is what cutting the red wire is designed for. The switch does consume a little power so it will eventually draw the battery down.

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
When the DVSR senses a charge voltage 13.4v it in effect parallels the batteries. The problem is if your house battery is down 12.ov and the start is 12.8 when the DVSR parallels them the start wants to charge the house at a high current. This is not optimal and will shorten the life of the battery. IMO if you hook up solar panels directly (fused) to each battery you remove the DVSR from the equation and the panel trickle charges both whenever the solar panel is activated. I am not a rocket surgeon so if so of the more electrically inclined @Mainah @David Analog could weigh in and give an opinion it would be helpful.
I also checked with my battery guru and he said that paralleling two lead acid batteries with a 1 v difference is not a problem, LIPO's is a different story.

afdouble

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If I have shore power (genius dual bank), should I hook it to the same dvsr prong as the solar panel? Is it safe to hook to the batteries direct with the solar panels?