• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

(Solved) Help needed - multiple comms issues - Connext went haywire - 2015 242ltd s

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Alright, I'm 90% sure it's the transducer. BTW, start and house batteries tested good today, with both above printed CCA ratings.

Re-wired the batteries good and tight and cleaned up all the connectors. Put the boat in the water for sunset cruise; all good. Returned to the lift, some water had collected in the bilge which settled toward the back as the boat raised up on the lift (I have my lift a little higher at the bow end so as to move water towards the back toward the bilge pumps). Instantly the lights started flashing, joystick, etc. and errors left and right on the Connext were displayed just as shown in my video previously. I popped open the engine hatch, disconnected the transducer. Sure enough, everything went back to normal (except depth comm error of course). Plugged it back in, everything starts going haywire. Disconnected again, good to go. Repeated a few times and it happened every time.

I'm inclined to say my transducer is shorting out and taking the CAN bus down with it. It was replaced just 1.5 years ago, by my "local" Yamaha dealership 2 hours away. Yamaha parts warranty is only 1 year.. Don't want to spend $500 on another cruddy transducer... anyone have recommendations for one that works better than the thru hull that comes stock (F2D-U8K1W-01-00)? I don't care if it's also $500, I just want it to actually work, and this one never really read depths well.
Sounds like you found it. I can confirm that any n2k depth and temperature transducer will be compatible with Connext (may want to avoid the dst ones though). You may need to wire on the correct plug. The existing thru hull however will only fit airmar 800 series.

Best of luck with finding a suitable replacement.

cyclops

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Awesome- I really hope that’s everything!

Before we fully declare victory- I would like to root out whether this bad transducer was the cause or merely a symptom of a larger issue

Would y’all be so kind as to review the attached image, and tell me if anything looks off compared to your boats? Low current (no alarms, just shown in the diag page), and only 10.7ish volts on a number of items where I would have expected 12? Are your boats like this?6E6CC738-7439-41B2-9AFF-E5CA64708231.jpeg

Last edited:

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Awesome- I really hope that’s everything!

Before we fully declare victory- I would like to root out whether this bad transducer was the cause or merely a symptom of a larger issue

Would y’all be so kind as to review the attached image, and tell me if anything looks off compared to your boats? Low current (no alarms, just shown in the diag page), and only 10.7ish volts on a number of items where I would have expected 12? Are your boats like this?View attachment 164702
Not sure what mine usually reads. I will check next time I head out on the boat. Work is keeping me really busy right now. I will say that most nominal voltages should read 0v, 5v or 12v. The 0.xxx voltage readings are likely board level i/o not pulled to ground. I recommend fully disconnecting the batteries after surface charge is depleted and testing with a multi meter. From the factory for this year only one battery was being read by the spu for volatge even though displayed separately (known issue documented on this site). If one battery dropped a cell then may cause what you are seeing. Also possible that something went bad in the transducer internal circuitry causing the odd voltage reading.

cyclops

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not sure what mine usually reads. I will check next time I head out on the boat. Work is keeping me really busy right now. I will say that most nominal voltages should read 0v, 5v or 12v. The 0.xxx voltage readings are likely board level i/o not pulled to ground. I recommend fully disconnecting the batteries after surface charge is depleted and testing with a multi meter. From the factory for this year only one battery was being read by the spu for volatge even though displayed separately (known issue documented on this site). If one battery dropped a cell then may cause what you are seeing. Also possible that something went bad in the transducer internal circuitry causing the odd voltage reading.
Ok thanks let me know! Love to see a pic of yours

cyclops

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Anyone manage to get a pic of their SPU-25 diagnostics screen?

cyclops

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Also possible that something went bad in the transducer internal circuitry causing the odd voltage reading.
Worth noting that this pic of my SPU-25 diag screen is with the transducer disconnected. Same readings with or without the transducer.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just remembered that I took a quick snap of my screen this weekend before I fired up the engines. Not the greatest photo with the sun wash out. The same 4 readings at 10.9v for me and no issues with my boat.

Attachments

cyclops

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just remembered that I took a quick snap of my screen this weekend before I fired up the engines. Not the greatest photo with the sun wash out. The same 4 readings at 10.9v for me and no issues with my boat.
Thanks! That’s great news for me

cyclops

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length