• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Spark plug stuck in AR 195. Can anyone make me smarter on this

Wishfull1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree with PB Blaster. Although, I have never had any trouble with my `18 SX195, I have used PB in the past. A couple of heat cycles and also attempting to further tighten "ever so slightly", then loosen. Repeat many times, usually works it way out.

Maybe it is a salt water vs fresh water thing, but here are my original `18 SX195 plugs after 100 hours. No anti seize, but pulled at the end of `18,`19,and `20 to fog the cylinders. Easy out, easy in. Tighten them up slightly without going gorilla on them and ready to rock for the next year.

If the dealer did previous maintenance, maybe they thought tighter was better? :rolleyes:

Attachments

Last edited:

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I was given an estimate of $2300

I damn-near passed out

I’m in Key West, does anyone know of anyone besides the Yamaha dealer in Key Largo that would maybe charge less for this? Thank you
@Keys_Coastie ..... stuck plugs have been very, very rare in all my years of experience with marine engines. Stripped and cross threaded plugs (particularly with aluminum heads are far more common) and usually the result of someone with poor skills working on an engine. When it has happened some fellow boaters have heated the block around the plug then removed it. Neither I nor any of my acquaintances will use thread ease as it causes more head damage than stuck plugs. I change my plugs yearly, use a torque wrench to install them to Yamaha specification. Proper torque is more crucial now than ever as many plug threads are metal going into aluminum. I assume that your 2018 is out of warranty. I have a five year warranty so I follow Yamaha guidelines for spark plug installation. It is very easy to tell if plugs have been over tightened thus voiding warranty. On today's technologically-advanced engines gone are the days of doing things just by feel. The chances of over tightening plugs and causing them to bind or the stripping the threads is far greater than in the past. That said, I can not understand why you would be charged $2,300.00 for a spark plug removal. :cool:

Last edited:

Brad460

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Where is the OP?! MIA?

No response back to all these questions and suggestions?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I agree with PB Blaster. Although, I have never had any trouble with my `18 SX195, I have used PB in the past. A couple of heat cycles and also attempting to further tighten "ever so slightly", then loosen. Repeat many times, usually works it way out.

Maybe it is a salt water vs fresh water thing, but here are my original `18 SX195 plugs after 100 hours. No anti seize, but pulled at the end of `18,`19,and `20 to fog the cylinders. Easy out, easy in. Tighten them up slightly without going gorilla on them and ready to rock for the next year.

If the dealer did previous maintenance, maybe they thought tighter was better? :rolleyes:
Now this picture is exactly what I was referring to, look at the end of the threads and the void at the very end , see the difference in color.
Somehow that part of the plug is usually where the corrosion or dirt collects. Now if the end gets water on it and corrodes more I believe this is where the problem comes from. Reading posts on facebook the stuck plug syndrome is becoming more common.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
QUOTE="Wishfull1, post: 495145, member: 13300"]

@Wishfull1 ..... the problem is with the non-technical installation of spark plugs. Steel into iron wasn't too difficult. Plugs with the "compression rings" you could "feel" seat wasn't too difficult either because they were still steel into iron. Now we have steel threads going into aluminum heads and weekend technicians trying to "feel" when their plugs have been torqued-down properly. I often hear, "I turn it until I "feel" it seat then I qive it a quarter turn". I wonder if these same guys would torgue their heads down by "feel" or would they use a torque wrench and follow the torque setting and pattern? Over torquing can not only spin the threads but also result in cracked heads. Thread ease (anti seize) is a disaster waiting to happen. You can't even get any "feel" with that $hit. If you change your plugs frequently enough (I'd say at 6 months or 100 hours) you'll be fine - IF they were set to the right torque. If you absolutely have to coat them with anything then get some fully synthetic oil, put some on a microfiber cloth and spin the plug in the cloth wiping off any excess. That way you can still achieve proper torque and the synthetic oil will allow the plug to break free. Its extrememl high flash point will not burn off in 6 months or 100 hours use. Stay away from anti seize as sooner of later it will get you into trouble.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Or do what I do put some anti seize on the end of the threads tighten the plug until you feel the washer compress and then turn it 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn further add some dielectric grease to the plug boot to keep it from sticking to the plug. been working for me for thousands of hours of use in several 1800 engines. But always do what is comfortable for you as I said I have numerous posts about how I set up my stuff for salt water, how I rinse the engines out etc. in Florida I run in salt water all year long it may get cold and the water may go down as low as 60 degrees in January but I just wear a shirt with sleeves and enjoy the day. There is an old saying that there is more than one way to skin a cat. If I didn't believe that I would not own 5 US patents. I think Hitler was one of those do it my way it's the only way type of people, I just share things and let you choose after all it's your boat.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Thanks!!! That’s a good point!! Appreciate that! They did say they had it soaking. And yes, it was routine maintenance
@Keys_Coastie ..... you mention 100 hours. You own a 2018. Have the same plugs been in your engine for two years or is this a second set. Did the dealer install the plugs? If you have left the plugs in your engine for two years without R&Ring them I doubt you have recourse against the dealer. If the plugs have been replaced one or more times since 2018 and the dealer has done this I would be going after them. :cool:

Lpennington

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got it. Thanks ... need to get on R&R’ing the spark plugs in my own 2018 (3 yrs old this month) before winter is here.

OP, good luck. Hopefully, you can get a local jet ski mechanic to handle at a fraction of the cost.

Wishfull1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Since the OP has yet to respond, we might as well carry on.

Along with Yamaha, NGK has specs. on torque into an aluminum head. Spark Plug Installation | NGK Spark Plugs
NGK also has guidance on both use of torque wrench and without. NGK.com: Plug Torque Settings

As @Cobra Jet Steering LLC stated, it seems once seated finger tight, then 1/2 turn is acceptable. However, this is only with a *new plug* with gasket. I would never go 1/2 turn on a used plug. I treat it much like a tapered seat plug.

If you are plus 1/2 turn on a used plug, you are certainly asking for trouble.

Attachments

Last edited: