• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Starboard engine slow crank

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
This starboard engine will be the death of me. Noticed yesterday before I took the boat out the starboard engine seemed to crank a bit slow when starting. Thought maybe it was just a low battery as it had sat for a week, decided to head out and give them a good run to charge up. Ran for about 30 mins, stopped for a few hours. Then re-started the engine, slow crank again.

Another 30 min run back to dock, pulled the boat, took to storage and hooked up the flush, slow crank again. The engine starts eventually after about 4-5 cranks, but the cranks are way (noticeably) slower than the port engine.

The battery itself seems to be fine as there are no issues with the port engine. I have noticed some corrosion with battery cables recently. The DVSR ground was completely corroded and broke off I had to strip it back and put a new lug connector on it.

I replaced the starter relay about a month ago for a separate issue. Plugs are about 60 hours old.

I checked the pumps as much as I can from the cleanout, can't feel anything stuck in there but thinking I will pull them to double check.

What are some other things that I should check?

This starboard engine will be the death of me. Noticed yesterday before I took the boat out the starboard engine seemed to crank a bit slow when starting. Thought maybe it was just a low battery as it had sat for a week, decided to head out and give them a good run to charge up. Ran for about 30 mins, stopped for a few hours. Then re-started the engine, slow crank again.

Another 30 min run back to dock, pulled the boat, took to storage and hooked up the flush, slow crank again. The engine starts eventually after about 4-5 cranks, but the cranks are way (noticeably) slower than the port engine.

The battery itself seems to be fine as there are no issues with the port engine. I have noticed some corrosion with battery cables recently. The DVSR ground was completely corroded and broke off I had to strip it back and put a new lug connector on it.

I replaced the starter relay about a month ago for a separate issue. Plugs are about 60 hours old.

I checked the pumps as much as I can from the cleanout, can't feel anything stuck in there but thinking I will pull them to double check.

What are some other things that I should check?
@FLJetBoater ....could there be any ground continuity problems between the keyed ignition switch - battery - starter. Sometimes a corroded battery cable, ignition wires etc. can cause multiple cranking situations.

I would recommend a) completely cleaning off any corrosion and reseating any connections after the corrosion is cleaned and 2) change the plugs.

As others have stated, plus battery health and condition , also connections would be of primary concern.

Thanks! Bit new on electrical issues - any way to test the ground aside from visual inspection and cleaning and reseating?

You can pull the negative lead off your battery and test with an ohm meter back down to your starter. anything below .3 will be a good measurement.

But really, cleaning and reseating is what you should do anyway, no matter what the ohm meter says... You are eliminating the cheap, easy fixes first. Otherwise you spend a lot of time and money chasing ghosts.

But really, cleaning and reseating is what you should do anyway, no matter what the ohm meter says... You are eliminating the cheap, easy fixes first. Otherwise you spend a lot of time and money chasing ghosts.
I will be doing it tomorrow morning. I’ve read just baking soda in water with a toothbrush is the best approach?

It is a good one (but don't get overzealous and pour it anywhere--dip the toothbrush in the solution and scrub the terminals. If you get it into any of the cells (where the liquid is) it will kill the cell). I usually just use a wire brush. I got a little internal/external one from the auto parts store for $5 a billion years ago and it works quite well. Be sure you pull off the wire, do the wire side and the battery side, then put it back and secure it nicely.

Just getting to cleaning the terminals and noticed there is a ground from the house to start. Is that normal?

Attachments

• DA388E39-14EA-41C3-B66A-EB26EF89A79E.jpeg
    DA388E39-14EA-41C3-B66A-EB26EF89A79E.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 27
Yes. Grounds are connected permanently, and that's OK. As Designed.

Thanks....so I don’t think that’s it. Cleaned them up pretty good and still has a slow crank. It seemed to be cranking a bit faster on land so put it back in the water to check and it was definitely slower in the water. I checked the impeller and couldn’t see or feel anything stuck in there at all.
Next steps? Should I pull the pump is it worth it? Should I change the plugs or check crank without the plugs in? They’re only about 65 hours old.
Also, I tried to trace the wires to the starter but it seems to be buried down in the engine compartment, how can I get my meter on it?

Once it starts does it behave any differently? If the pump was involved I would expect some difference while it runs too.

Once it starts does it behave any differently? If the pump was involved I would expect some difference while it runs too.
No once started it runs fine

Although... I have heard of times when a swollen wear ring in the pump caused slow (and then non) starting. It may be that you are just starting to hit the wear ring and it is slowing the turning of the shaft. Certainly worth a look. Pulling the pump is usually pretty easy (or should be, if there is no ring contact and the splines are not stuck). Give us a photo of the wear ring and the impeller if you do that--should be able to tell from those two whether you are having contact.

Although... I have heard of times when a swollen wear ring in the pump caused slow (and then non) starting. It may be that you are just starting to hit the wear ring and it is slowing the turning of the shaft. Certainly worth a look. Pulling the pump is usually pretty easy (or should be, if there is no ring contact and the splines are not stuck). Give us a photo of the wear ring and the impeller if you do that--should be able to tell from those two whether you are having contact.
I’ve pulled that pump fairly recently, should be easy enough to do again. I’ll do that and report back.

Interesting observation......I pulled the plugs out tonight right after docking and the stbd wear ring almost burned my hand it was so hot. Only on the bottom side of the wear ring. Didn’t have time tonight before dark to pull the pump but will do it tomorrow morning. I don’t feel any up or down, left or right play in the shaft. Only a slight turn as I’ve reported before.

Interesting observation......I pulled the plugs out tonight right after docking and the stbd wear ring almost burned my hand it was so hot. Only on the bottom side of the wear ring. Didn’t have time tonight before dark to pull the pump but will do it tomorrow morning. I don’t feel any up or down, left or right play in the shaft. Only a slight turn as I’ve reported before.
After flushing I checked both, both were hot but the stbd seemed MUCH hotter. I usually check for weeds before I flush so I can’t say I have anything good to compare to. Interested to hear others experiences.

I stand corrected. I would have expected some effect to running also, but it sure sounds like the pump may be a factor.

Back