• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Steering gearbox

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok, 06 SX230, steering has a bit of a dead zone, or slop in it. Initially I figured it was the linkage back at the jets, which I will address with bushings, but when I opened the helm, and looked directly at the arm coming off the gearbox (pitman arm?), it stayed completely stationary while I reached up and moved the steering wheel back and forth about an 1” - 1 1/2”. I’ve searched the forums, but it seems the cables and linkage at the jets are the only common issue. Is there an adjustment? Is that common? On my truck, I am able to adjust that “slop” out of it, hoping to do the same here, but daggone, that helm compartment isn’t made even for little dudes like me.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My steering had a bunch of slop
It turned out the nut that holds the cable end to the pitman had loosened up and fallen off
Take another look and make sure you see both cables have their nut tightened

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That’s a good thread, I’ll double check into loose hardware this eve. I got a visual on things last evening, when I was tinkering on stuff, but didn’t put a wrench on anything. It would have to be the main pivot nut for the pitman arm, because as I mentioned, the whole arm stays stationary, while the steering wheel moves back and forth. I sure hope it’s just a loose nut.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well, grabbed a wrench, and checked the pitman arm to the steering gearbox, and it is tight. Still have at least an inch of circumferential play before it even starts to push/pull on the pitman arm. If it's normal, so be it, just seems excessive to me.

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the same boat and the same issue, everything is tight with a 1” to 1 1/2” play in the wheel

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah, I’ve come to the conclusion it’s just simply gearbox lash. Maybe it’s from wear, maybe it’s normal. I even peeled back the tilt steering column boot, and tightened the coupler in there, but it didn’t help anything to speak of. It’s fine, just a little annoying. Still wish it would have a means to tighten things back up, like some vehicles do. But thanks for the heads up, at least I don’t have to wonder if somethings about to let go inside.