• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

STEERING ISSUE 2021 210 FSH SPORT

Bowmax

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hey guys I am having an issue with my steering in my 2021 Yamaha 210 FSH Sport. I took it out for the first time two days ago and noticed that there was a steering issue. I noticed right at the dock that when I turned left, I was only getting about 1/2 to 3/4 the turning "radius" that I should have. I could turn right no problem. When I got home and out of the water, I noticed that the jets would turn fully to the right but when they turn left like I said previously, I am only getting about 1/2 to 3/4 the movement that I should be.

To try and figure the issue out, I disconnected the connecting arm from the rudder to the right jet outlet and the issue was still there. I thought maybe the rudder was sticking so I have removed that from the equation of being an issue. I then disconnected each steering cable from its Jet outlet, turned the steering wheel both directions and the issue was still there. I am thinking that it is my steering rack under the center console or the steering cable(s) have already seized up from ONE season on the water. When I turn the steering wheel left it goes around 3/4 of the way, hits a hard stop and then will go slightly more with a little more pressure and then stops turning completely.

I plan on taking it to the dealer this weekend but wanted to see if anyone else has had similar issues.

Have a good spring & summer on the water.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Does the movement you have feel stiff or is it moving without resistance?

Bowmax

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
It feels smooth in both directions until I hit the "bump" and then it goes a little further and stops. This is why Im thinking its an issue with the steering rack that connects to the steering wheel.

Last edited:

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
It feels smooth in both directions until I hit the "bump" and then it goes a little further and stops. This is why Im thinking its an issue with the steering rack that connects to the steering wheel.
Sounds like its the rack. Are you 100% positive it was not that way last year? Yamaha could have assembled so the rack was not centered so the travel area is off.

Bowmax

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I am 100% sure it wasnt that way last year. Im thinking there was a gasket or something that wasn't installed properly during assy that caused corrosion to form in the steering rack. Ill let you know what they say in a few weeks after taking it to them today.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
With the nozzles disconnected from the steering cables you can rotate the wheel all the way to the right from there it should go just over 1 full turn to the left the helm is made to turn from center just over 1/2 turn . for a full right or left turn. so if you center the wheel and have one spoke pointing down to the floor and then have someone hold a straight edge against the open nozzles to hold them even. now adjust the steering cable ends to meet the hole in each nozzle steering arm replace the small spacers and install the bolt then reattach the rudder making sure it is at a 90 degree angle from the back of the boat use the tie rod to set it correctly then try the boat in the water it should have the same amount of movement either way .

619Ryan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bowmax did you ever figure out what the issue was and how it was fixed? I‘m having what appears to be the same issue with my 2019 AR240. During my 10 hour break-in service last year, the dealer installed new steering cables because they said there was an issue, which I didn’t really notice (under warranty, so didn’t cost me anything) … after my first trip out, I did not have any issues that I noticed, and then on a second trip, I started to notice the boat was pulling hard (can’t remember which way) to where I would have to hold the wheel slightly over to keep it straight. This was the first time I noticed that problem and then when cleaning the boat, I noticed the range of motion between port and starboard was off. I can go further to the right, to what seems like full turn, and only about 2/3 to the left … please let me know how your problem was resolved. I’m on a waitlist to get into my “authorized” dealer, but would like to troubleshoot on my own.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Probably just need to re-center the wheel and readjust the nozzles and center the rudder.
First you disconnect the steering cable couplers at the ends of the cables where they attach to the steering arm also be careful not to loose the small bushings where the bolt goes through the steering, arm I believe this web site sells those if they are bad or missing. with the steering cables disconnected turn the wheel all the way to the right and place a piece of tape on top of it, then turn it all the way to the left and place a piece of tape on top of the wheel again both times the tape needs to be put on the highest point of the wheel, now rotate the wheel so both pieces of tape are evenly pointing to the floor and place a piece of tape on the top of the wheel again and find the closest wheel spoke that is pointing to the floor and center it pointing down,

Now have someone hold the wheel in that centered position or tie it of so it does not move .
Next take a long level and with the reverse hoods lifted on both nozzles , place the level across the openings and hold it tight so that it touches all 4 of the nozzle edges at the same time, now get someone to hold that in place while you readjust the cable ends to line up with the holes in the steering arms and place the small bushings in the holes with the coupler and the bolt and secure the nylock nut but do not overtighten it where it bends the arms of the coupler. Do this to both nozzle cables and the nozzles are now even and the wheel is now centered, so the last thing is to adjust the tie rod between the right nozzle and the rudder so the rudder is at a 90 degree angle with the back of the boat, once this is accomplished your boat should track straight however since your Yamaha has 2 engines and they are not counter rotating you may experience a slight pull to the tight if so and you want to address that you can adjust the left nozzle cable to point the left nozzle out to the left a bit , or you can use the rudder and angle that out to the left a bit to compensate for the slight right hand pull.
also check the reverse buckets and be sure both are even and out of the way of the nozzle openings as well as even when in neutral so the neutral is even as well. Oh and don't forget to remove the pieces of tape .

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I will add, sometimes there is an amount play in the steering box which will have you steering slightly off center. Especially if you are fighting a current while trying to maintain headway, and also wind to a lesser degree. That has been my experience. But now Cobra jet has me thinking about checking my alignment🤔

2015 SX210

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m going to attempt this fix this week as my boat also turns hard to the right but takes half the lake to make a left turn/circle. Does anyone have any pictures to post of what I’m loosening/tightening/removing in order to do this? Everything is being manipulated back by the jets except for the steering wheel, correct?

I’m also replacing the dreaded triducer this week as I lost depth, temperature, and speed last week.

Sccala

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hey guys I am having an issue with my steering in my 2021 Yamaha 210 FSH Sport. I took it out for the first time two days ago and noticed that there was a steering issue. I noticed right at the dock that when I turned left, I was only getting about 1/2 to 3/4 the turning "radius" that I should have. I could turn right no problem. When I got home and out of the water, I noticed that the jets would turn fully to the right but when they turn left like I said previously, I am only getting about 1/2 to 3/4 the movement that I should be.

To try and figure the issue out, I disconnected the connecting arm from the rudder to the right jet outlet and the issue was still there. I thought maybe the rudder was sticking so I have removed that from the equation of being an issue. I then disconnected each steering cable from its Jet outlet, turned the steering wheel both directions and the issue was still there. I am thinking that it is my steering rack under the center console or the steering cable(s) have already seized up from ONE season on the water. When I turn the steering wheel left it goes around 3/4 of the way, hits a hard stop and then will go slightly more with a little more pressure and then stops turning completely.

I plan on taking it to the dealer this weekend but wanted to see if anyone else has had similar issues.

Have a good spring & summer on the water.
Hey there. Did you ever fix this issue? I ask because I am currently experiencing the same thing with my 2011 to 42 Limited. But in the opposite direction of yours. When I turned the wheel to the left… Perfect turning sharp and Highbanks. But when I turn to the right… It’s sluggish, and it makes a larger radius turn than when I go to the left. Upon getting to the sandbar, I had my wife turning the steering wheel left and right while I dug my head under that swim platform to see what was going on. When the wheel turned to the left, both nozzles moved in unison as they should. But when she turned the wheel to the right, the left nozzle stayed, put in only the right nozzle moved as it should. Sounds like you have the same issue… Or had the same issue, that I am currently experiencing, so I’m wondering what the problem was and how you fixed it. Thanks

Steve

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Grab the left nozzle with the boat on the trailer and see if it is able to move both ways and move the other nozzle as well it sounds like the steering cable for the left side broke, it will turn to the left because it is pushing but not to the right because it is pulling and not in one piece.

Sccala

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I actually did that with the boat in the water. I did grab the left nozzle and moved it to straightaway center, and then it turns to the left when the wheel turns to the left, but when the wheel turned the other way, they stayed in position. So, it sounds like you said is correct… pushing but not pulling. The research I’ve done, this doesn’t look like it novice job. My mechanical inclination on cars stops at changing tires, changing lights, windshield wipers, that kind of thing. I don’t think I’m confident in changing the steering cable on a Jetboat. I ordered one from Partzilla this morning. hopefully it comes in a timely fashion and one of my four local jet mechanics in the area to take it on

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
At least now you know what needs fixing so go do some research and figure out how to do it yourself.