• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Stick wedged in impeller/housing

Smitty244

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Help, I sucked up a branch that is wedged between the impeller and housing. I limped it in but I have no idea how to remove it. Is there a way to rotate the shaft counter clockwise or anything to try to remove the debris or will it need take. To the shop and have them pull it apart? I’m praying I didn’t do damage to the impeller or the housing as far as tolerance goes.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Can you reach it from the clean out port? If not, you can try from below but that seems like a long shot.

Otherwise, pull the pump and you’ll be able to access it easily. Only 4 bolts holding it in. Might seem intimidating at first but it’s really pretty easy. Loads of threads on on to do it

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Smitty244 Pulling your pump is something every jet boat owner should know how to do. It is not difficult. You can do it.

Smitty244

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I can see it wrapped up looking at it through the intake grate. It’s a tight between impeller and housing. So where do I even start. If I remove bolts do they need lock tire? Torque? My dad and I are mechanical but seems sketchy when you are unfamiliar. Yeah hat said it’s gonna be a beautiful weekend but my dealer is 1.5 hrs away and the boat is under warranty. Kinda freaking out because idk what to do lol. Even if I pull the jet nozzle then what happens, it’s still wedged between impeller and housing, it’s beyond the clean out port I can see it from underneath towards the stern.

Smitty244

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What is even considered the pump? The nozzle on the ass end side of the impeller?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Smitty244 , the pump design has changed slightly since this video was made ( by my dealer) on a 2013 boat but the basics are the same. Remove the 4 bolts , pull the pump , clear the obstruction , reassemble ! As others have stated , every jet boat owner has either done it , or should . Where are you located ? Maybe a member could help you ? I would if you were in my area.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yep. As I recall the FAQ even has a video.

As to the loctite, probably is supposed to be on there, but I have never put more on there when I removed (but I do check them periodically--never had one loosen yet). No issues so far. Torque probably has a spec, but I do mine, 'tight' (about as tight as it was when I took it off). As others mentioned, it sounds intimidating and like it is a big deal. Then you do it and realize it really is not (and you start kicking yourself for not doing it sooner).

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When it happened to me, I let the wood dry out and shrink a bit over night and was able to remove it grabbing with pliers.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you want to boat this coming beautiful weekend don’t wait for it to dry out. I’d be out there right after work until it got done dark. Should not take more than an hour. Bring a breaker/cheater bar just in case.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Take the admirals hair dryer and heat it until it gets dried out then remove it .

Smitty244

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What about a gasket or it looks like silicone maybe between the pump and housing. No need to worry putting it back together?

Smitty244

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I took the 4 bolts off and it definitely doesn’t just pull off

Smitty244

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok now what, this is nothing like the video. Video shows pulling that off and the the impeller and everything sliding out, doesn’t look like my case here at all

Smitty244

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Apparently the 2021 are a lot different because there is no pulling off the next piece. Looks like I’d have to pull bolts out near the transom next and no longer feel comfortable with this

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can someone whom has pulled it on this model chime in?

Sidarousmg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
i'm no yamaha expert, but it looks to me like you just removed the bucket. the pump is still attached with what appears to be 10 or 12 mm bolts (with blue marks, i see 2 at the top in your picture, probably 2 more below the pump). once those are removed, pump and impeller should be free to come out...

Smitty244

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah the video just shows taking four bolts out of the bucket and then the pump sliding apart so they have definitely changed something