• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Stick wedged in impeller/housing

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Isn't there a seal right there where you took the bolts out and you need to break that loose? Hang in there someone whom has done it on your engine/model will chime in soon I am sure.

Smitty244

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It’s all one piece so it looks like I’ll need to break those next bolts loose now. Just nervous because it looks like everything has silicone and I don’t want any leaks or anything afterwards and I don’t know how tight is tight

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The 21's changed design, so that is what you're seeing.
There are 5 more bolts you need to remove. The top two you see in the pic, the smaller one on the Port side in the pic and two more underneath that you cant see in the pic.
It is a little tougher than previous years because the pry point is no longer there and the silicone holds it in place.

Remove the 5 bolts and pry that sucker loose from the transom plate. Putting it back together I would add silicone to the surfaces that have them when you put it back together. No need to lather it in silicone, use sparingly.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
You just removed the forcing cone and the nozzle you have to remove all the bolts holding the pump to the boat and there are pry points to get it to come loose and in some instances I have had to use a special slide hammer I built to get the housing out . should have gone in from the intake grate, a lot easier. when you put it back together use silicon sealer there is no gasket except for the o ring on the cone and you are not removing that hair drier would have been more fun and less work.

Smitty244

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My next question, how tight is tight enough

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I had a really hard time pulling/prying the port pump off, Yamaha used a lot of the black sealant on that mounting surface. I had to use a heat gun to warm the sealant then I finally got it off. The Strb pump wasn't nearly as bad. After I got both off, I cleaned off the sealant and didn't reapply any sealant, didn't want to deal with that again. I have put 100 hrs without re-sealing and have not had any issues. One more thing do not over tighten the small bolt, I did, it broke and then I had to deal with that 😒

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure the torque on those, dont have a service manual handy.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Please show photos of the pump when removed and what you had to do! Didn't know they changed the pump bolts! This is something we need to document!

A quick video loaded to youtube would be awesome too!

Torque spec on the older pump is (cant imagine they changed it - and although they call for Gasket maker on the pumps....EVERY dealer video online doesn't have them putting gasket maker on when they reattach the pump-I never have....but purist would add it):
1628265994923.png

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Smitty244 C'mon, be honest. How good does that feel right now :)

Smitty244

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So basically I had to take the nozzle/bucket off, then as shown in my second picture it is now all one piece and I had to take 5 more bolts out and then that part comes out of the transom with impeller and housing. All that for those two little sticks that I couldn’t get out through the clean out or the intake grate. Thanks for everyone’s pointers. I ended up using brake cleaner to remove the old silicone and using blue rtv and then also blue loctite on all the bolts. Hopefully my seals are all good with the new rtv

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Smitty244 Welcome to the ease of Yamaha maintenance. Feels intimidating until you get in there and get it done. Nice job getting it torn apart and corrected. And don't fear, this is usually a rare case that you have to pull the pump. Put 30 hours on my boat so far this summer and haven't had to remove anything from the impellers yet.

poordealguy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Watching very closely...have already had a stick and a large bottle cap in our '21 AR190 that thankfully came out with some wrangling from underneath :)

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I keep enough tools in my boat tool bag to take mine off at the ramp if needed on the trailer. That way I don't have to waste a full day or a trip.

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I keep enough tools in my boat tool bag to take mine off at the ramp if needed on the trailer. That way I don't have to waste a full day or a trip.
I do the same 👍

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
ok now before reattaching the pump be sure to apply bees wax to the long stainless bolts so they do not get dissimilar metal corrosion sitting in the aluminum .

Smitty244

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Damn you guys are good if you can do it quickly at a ramp. Maybe next time I’d be ok but still took a lot of time getting off old silicone and then reapplying it