• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Struck Submerged log

granpachuck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We got out on the lake this Friday to doing some wakeboarding when there wouldn't be too many boats out. After we got a few good rides in, we went cruising, checking out the area by Vista point on Jordan Lake. We had hung out in this particular area a few times this year.

We were in about 15 feet of water moving along on plane when we felt a pretty good jolt . No question we impacted something. Port engine stalled, I killed the starboard engine, tossed an anchor, and starting looking . Bilge seemed clean, no water intrusion, gates and rudder seemed ok, but when I pulled the cleanout plugs, the port impeller was jammed with wood.

Limped home on one engine, and putting the boat on the trailer was when I got my 2nd big surprise of the day. You can see the object we hit had pierced the hull, and there was material still wedged in at the entry point. The ride plate, or impeller grill, is broken and missing a piece. Wondering if that piece is lodged in the impeller.

Whatever it was , it had to be facing at the perfect angle for this to happen, and big enough not to get shoved aside as we passed over it. I was feeling bad that I had not yet installed a keel guard, but that would not have helped in this case.

I spoke to my carrier, I am not expecting any issues from them, but this is my first claim ever with a boat. Dropped her off at Chatlee. I think I am done boating for awhile. We just booked a long weekend at Lake James end of September. Not going without a boat, that's for sure.20200828_144225.jpg20200828_144230.jpg

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
The scratches make me think Tree Stump! Like the hull skidded right over it until the weight of the boat made it caught. The puncture has a circular edge like a stump. Probably hopped and landed on the grate to break it. Damn lucky it didn't go right in the grate!! That probably would have stopped the boat on a dime and ejected you!!!

We have a few spots in some lakes around me where they cut the trees right below the surface of the water. It is literally my worst nightmare! Well that, and having the hood of my car fly open on the highway. Both are poop your pants moments!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ouch. You will need a new intake grate for sure. Did you check to see if the part that broke off is stuck between the back of the impeller and stator / the part after the impeller with stationary fins angled opposite those of the impeller? you are right about the keel gaurd not being helpful as it wouldn’t be that far back. Food luck with your insurer i hope they get your claimed processed quickly and a shop can get you in right away. Maybe you can still do some boating in October, weather permitting.

Last edited:

granpachuck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yikes! Glad your ok but DAYUM! That’s one hell of a strike!
Thanks ! We were thankful as well. We were talking about somebody hitting this while boarding , tubing etc. Really scary.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have seen large tree trucks/branches just under the top of the water. If you hit them on the end it would guess it would be like this. Glad nobody was hurt including the earlier wakeboarder.

granpachuck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The scratches make me think Tree Stump! Like the hull skidded right over it until the weight of the boat made it caught. The puncture has a circular edge like a stump. Probably hopped and landed on the grate to break it. Damn lucky it didn't go right in the grate!! That probably would have stopped the boat on a dime and ejected you!!!

We have a few spots in some lakes around me where they cut the trees right below the surface of the water. It is literally my worst nightmare! Well that, and having the hood of my car fly open on the highway. Both are poop your pants moments!
I think that scenario makes a lot of sense, but scary to think about. Also makes me think I need to set up a longer lanyard on the kill switch so maybe I will actually attach it.

granpachuck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ouch. You will need a new intake grate for sure. Did you check to see if the part that broke off is stuck between the back of the impeller and stator / the part after the impeller with stationary fins angled opposite those of the impeller? you are right about the keel gaurd not being helpful as it wouldn’t be that far back. Food luck with your insurer i hope they get your claimed processed quickly and a shop can get you in right away. Maybe you can still do some boating in October, whether permitting.
I only took the time for a quick inspection and a few pics. Was hustling to drop off the wife, pull the boat to the dealer, and call the insurance company. I did not see any pieces of the grate on either end , but I would not be surprised if they find some when they disassemble.

Hoping no damage to the shaft, or the many other possible issues. I did have a check engine light and alarm. I am not familiar with how this connects to the episode, but I am guessing the impeller immediately seized and triggered the alarm and light.

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I think that scenario makes a lot of sense, but scary to think about. Also makes me think I need to set up a longer lanyard on the kill switch so maybe I will actually attach it.
I bought a Yamaha wrist strap like the PWCs have. Comfortable and I hang it on the throttle when I don’t use it!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I picked up a couple one to use and one spare. Works great. Except when you hold your arm up and wave the the sherrif, it disconnects, boat stops and you get pulled over because everyone in your boat almost fell down/over for a sobriety test :) He laughed a bit when I told him what happened, he says it happens a lot when people wave to them with wrist kill switch connectors. So I also bought a longer cord.

granpachuck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That's pretty funny, I could see that happening. Which is why I don't think I would attach it to my wrist.

Going to buy that longer lanyard though, even if I wind up attaching to the current one. Guessing I have several weeks to plan this out. :(

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ouch! Good luck w insurance and repairs. The glass-half-full view: very fortunate there were no injuries. Cheers and keep us informed as it plays out.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thats scary, you hit that thing hard!

Does insurance definitely cover things like that?
I’ve never thought about damage in an accident like that, I guess I was imagining theft or fire or hitting another boat.

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ouch! Good luck w insurance and repairs. The glass-half-full view: very fortunate there were no injuries. Cheers and keep us informed as it plays out.
Yes, let us know about the insurance claim and repair cost for us for future reference. Major strikes like your’s
are tragic but knowing a path toward repair helps everyone here at the forum and gives the unfortunate a bit of comfort.

granpachuck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yes, insurance should take care of it . They call it SSO, here is good article on what to do it it happens ,

My deductible is 375 dollars. It's a common claim they tell me. Boatus links this article as well, saying it is the 2nd most common claim, and has nothing to do with years of experience. Which made me feel slightly better...

It may be a week or 2 before they even start looking at it, so I will be practicing patience !

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Interesting stuff. I have hit things even big logs floating but not with major damage.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, I just had my first claim for hitting a something like that (also BoatUS insurance). Very good experience for me getting it fixed. Sure, was without the boat for a bit, but no issues with the repair or the process (other than the fact that the GEICO website won't let you upload photos where it says you can--you need to email them).

Good luck with the repair and glad no one was hurt. Here in Texas, those lanyards are now the law (so I have been trying to be better about wearing mine). Guess this is a good reminder, as that could have gone very wrong. Keep us updated on your progress!

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
where's vista point? There are definitely some areas where flooded timber are common.

SandfleaDDH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wow! Glad you are all ok. Man that blows. Reminds me of my first ride in another Yamaha product. A Rhino. Driving in snow and this branch was at juuuuuuussssst the right angle to come right up threough the floor and stop us dead. It was. S.Y.P moment for sure. 1598835009695.png