• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Submersible waterproof wireless trailer camera - has anyone found one that works?

Daren and Heather

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just bought a wireless 4 camera system for my trailer, looked really solid, worked well, and said it was waterproof, IP69K rated.

So I tested everything, then did a really professional install wiring everything up, worked great... then backed up into the water for the first time, maybe 2 feet of water for less than 19 minutes and the camera died. I emailed the seller who despite listing it as "waterproof" and IP69K which is the highest rating, then said they aren't capable of being submersed!!!

Has anyone here successfully found and installed a waterproof wireless trailer camera that gets submerged every time you launch and hasn't had issues?

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Someone on here has a camera system, though I’m not sure it’s wireless. I don’t believe an RF signal passes through water very well. I‘m not the final authority on that by any means. Search for trailer camera up above, I think you’ll find it.

Daren and Heather

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't need the camera to transmit while it's underwater, I just need it to survive being submerged. I don't want to mount it to the boat or waketower, because then I need to supply a power source all the way up there while in transit. Just looking for a waterproof camera that I can permanently mount to the back of a boat trailer and wire to the trailer lights.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Ah gotcha. Yeah check the search feature, I believe it was last year someone tackled that.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Can you mount the camera on top of those rookie rod trailer post guide things?

Daren and Heather

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can you mount the camera on top of those rookie rod trailer post guide things?
That would be my last resort if I can't find an actual waterproof wireless camera, yeah.

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I mounted my camera on top of my guide post - not wireless though so I also ran a coax cable up the tube and up to the sender unit which I have mounted on the bow bracket so the sender stays above water. Wi-Fi then from sender to my phone It works well but freezes once in a while for a few seconds. Very helpful though

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’ve tried at least three different wireless models over the years and all of them had issues which caused me to return them. This is my second WIRED dual (One for the rear of the boat trailer the other for the front of the tow vehicle, previously the rear for hook up purposes) camera system. The trailer mounted camera on both systems are truly water proof/ submersible, within reason. The second time around the trailer camera developed condensation on the inner lense and the seller send me a Replacement immediately after I sent him a pic of the faulty camera. It has been problem free since. Again this is a wired system but it’s a single cable with four leads including power and signal to the display. It’s not hard to install the extension cable to the trailer but installing the cable from the display to the rear of the tow vehicle may take a little work (removal of inner panels to hide the cable under). I recommend this system for a number of reasons over a wireless system. Regardless of the system used, if you mount the camera on the center bar of the trailer the glare from headlights makes the system (at least for that camera) useless at night. One alternative is to mount the camera on top of a guide pole instead, so the headlights of the cars behind you don’t beam directly into it. Good luck I your continued search for a wireless system.
37797EEE-CE18-46AB-A8D6-C554B2D67A03.png

Last edited:

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Last edited:

Daren and Heather

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@zipper, I think you're right - thank you. Wow, these IP ratings are really misleading. You would think that since "the IP69K rating is the highest protection available" and the latest thing, that it would be as good as IP67 and IP68, and better? However there is nothing about the test that states it must survive being dunked in water.

6Protected against heavy seas or powerful jets of water.
7Protected against the effects of short term immersion (under defined conditions of pressure and time).
8Protected against submersion (under conditions specified by the manufacturer).
9kProtected against close-range high pressure, high temperature spray downs

So all these sellers on Amazon, including the one I got (don't buy the below product if you want it in water), are probably technically able to claim IP69K ratings if it survives a pressure washer and loosely use the term "waterproof", even though their cameras will immediately die if they get dunked in a tiny bit of water. AAhhhh that's frustrating!!!

Yakry YA27S HD 1080P Digital Wireless 4 Backup Camera for RVs/Trailers/Trucks/Motorhomes/5th Wheels 7''Monitor with Highway Monitoring System IP69K Waterproof Super Night Vision

So I guess I need to find one that specifically says it is both IP68, AND IP69K rated. Or just IP68. Which at first glance on Amazon, I can't find any of these systems that say IP68, they're all IP69k. : /

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length