• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • JetBoaters.Net 2nd Annual SeaDoo Switch Group Buy Sponsored By JetBoatPilot Is Live Now. Save 25% Off Select SeaDoo Switch Gear through October 31st.

Click Here to go to the Jetboatpilot Seadoo Group buy

You can delete this notice with the "X" in the upper right>>>

Surf Board recommendation .... for smaller waves

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
My setup: AR195, about 850lbs of ballast on the stern.

I've been able to surf ropeless for most of last summer, but my push zone is relatively short, I couldn't get much speed on the board, a spin would result in falling out of the push zone. You can see that just to keep up with the boat, my weight is fairly far forward. I'm 210 lbs...

Board: Hyperlite Shim 5'3"

Any recommendations as to a board that could carry more speed? Although the shim has a lot of volume, it doesn't have a lot of surface area for that volume (it's thick).

I'm looking at Slingshot Boss Hoss maybe?

20200523_110554_HDR.jpg

I'm no expert on boards, but I can certainly recommend warmer water.

The water was probably around 15 deg C that day ... 59 F. At least it's glacier fed and perfectly clean. No need to bring water bottles to the lake, just take a sip directly ;) Warmest it got on the warmest day in July was about 20C/68F .... and that's only the top 3 inches. It's about 500 ft deep. Any strong winds and the it turns over and we're back to cold water.

When we start in late March / early April, water is around 8C / 48F.

Mad respect for braving that frigid water. At the same time nothing like the pristine water of the north. I use to brave similar mountain fed water in Maine but I relocated to South Carolina.

I have experimented with many boards. Best all around board for all wakes IMO is the slingshot coaster. I have riden this behind a jetski (not ropeless) and behind a flagship v drive (near effortless and ropeless). If you like stepping on the gas and thrashing a lot the doomswell neo will work but it takes a lot of skill, great physical shape, great balance, and a lot of work on smaller wakes. The first one I tried was a hyperlite landlocked. It now hangs as a decoration above the stairs in my home because it drives like a bus and kids have a hard time pushing it down on starts. No idea how these compare to what you already have.

@Jrad has likely received a lot of feedback on what he sells plus he rides. He should have some good input.

Best of luck in your hunt for the best board for you. Now jump in the hot tub and get the blood flowing again.

I've been able to surf ropeless for most of last summer, but my push zone is relatively short, I couldn't get much speed on the board, a spin would result in falling out of the push zone. You can see that just to keep up with the boat, my weight is fairly far forward. I'm 210 lbs...

Any recommendations as to a board that could carry more speed? Although the shim has a lot of volume, it doesn't have a lot of surface area for that volume (it's thick).

View attachment 140258
Yeah the new Boss Hoss is a solid option, with a 19’ I would recommend this over the Coaster.

Total respect for riding in that temp..:winkingthumbsup" I'm looking at full lengths to get more out of my seasons, if you have any recommendations let me know.
I'm an old school long board surfer from long Island, so I laughed when @Mainah said he had his on the wall..My favorite board is the Landlock 5'9" and most of my guest riders also...I'm 6' 215lbs
I also have the Slingshot Coaster from @J-RAD who is awesome to deal with and has some great review videos and insight. Transom Watersports | Wakeboard | Wakesurf | Vest | SUP
Everyone that rides the Slingshot says its funner and definitely more versatile around the wake, but IMO takes more talent/work/balance to ride ropeless. They all come back to the landlock to ride ropeless. I also have the Ronix Koal longboard 4'10" very easy to ride and kids love it..talk about a lot of volume.
I've had my eye on a Jetpilot Perch...Good luck in your journey to find the ultimate ride..
FD0EE85E-ADAF-4DFD-9490-2E0BFAC0689E.jpeg

Mad respect for braving that frigid water. At the same time nothing like the pristine water of the north. I use to brave similar mountain fed water in Maine but I relocated to South Carolina.

I have experimented with many boards. Best all around board for all wakes IMO is the slingshot coaster. I have riden this behind a jetski (not ropeless) and behind a flagship v drive (near effortless and ropeless). If you like stepping on the gas and thrashing a lot the doomswell neo will work but it takes a lot of skill, great physical shape, great balance, and a lot of work on smaller wakes. The first one I tried was a hyperlite landlocked. It now hangs as a decoration above the stairs in my home because it drives like a bus and kids have a hard time pushing it down on starts. No idea how these compare to what you already have.

@Jrad has likely received a lot of feedback on what he sells plus he rides. He should have some good input.

Best of luck in your hunt for the best board for you. Now jump in the hot tub and get the blood flowing again.
I have family in ME. and learned to water ski on Notch Pond in Gray where my aunt and uncle have an A frame. My parents live their. have an Airbnb rented this summer and will be on Sebago and Long Lakes.

@marcham, your 195 wave looks pretty great! And I have to add my respect for braving the cold waters as well.

I can't speak to how the H/L Shim performs from first hand experience. I can say with a surety that not all 5'3" boards are made alike. It would be valuable intel to see how it compared side by side. The Coaster has a little extra volume according to the charts and I've been impressed with its abilities. I've ridden a very modest wave on the 5'0" even. My guess is it would be an improvement for you. I was just offered a deal to bring in some 2020 and a couple 2019 Coasters from Slingshot's EU (European Union) warehouse. Those will be available soon for a good price. The Coaster has been our best selling board since it was introduced.

The new Boss Hoss is a big board and high volume board. It should do well on your wave, allowing you to go ropeless quite easily. It will not be as sporty as the smaller Coaster but, the ease of its ability to keep you in the wave will be a good time. The majority of my inventory won't be in the first of May, although they're available now and I've been able to bring a few in for customers as needed.
Screenshot_20200928-102530_Drive.jpg
Here's a pic of the Boss Hoss and 5'3" Coaster side by side (Yamaha branded versions)
Screenshot_20200813-072814_Chrome.jpg
Let me know if you have any questions. If you're interested in either, shoot me a DM and I'll hook you up with a pre-season discount. ??

Total respect for riding in that temp..:winkingthumbsup" I'm looking at full lengths to get more out of my seasons, if you have any recommendations let me know.
I'm an old school long board surfer from long Island, so I laughed when @Mainah said he had his on the wall..My favorite board is the Landlock 5'9" and most of my guest riders also...I'm 6' 215lbs
I also have the Slingshot Coaster from @J-RAD who is awesome to deal with and has some great review videos and insight. Transom Watersports | Wakeboard | Wakesurf | Vest | SUP
Everyone that rides the Slingshot says its funner and definitely more versatile around the wake, but IMO takes more talent/work/balance to ride ropeless. They all come back to the landlock to ride ropeless. I also have the Ronix Koal longboard 4'10" very easy to ride and kids love it..talk about a lot of volume.
I've had my eye on a Jetpilot Perch...Good luck in your journey to find the ultimate ride..
View attachment 140297
The JetPilot Perch would be a fun long board to try. I haven't brought one in to try yet, but I'd love to!

Have you seen the new Slingshot Mothership? It would be a rad long board option to consider.
Screenshot_20210118-082021_Dropbox.jpg
Screenshot_20210118-082054_Dropbox.jpg

Slingshot's sister brand Ride Engine has wet suits too. I have access to selling them. Inventory has been very low for months, I'm just waiting for my size to become available. You might fit the MT size that's still available though... there's a size chart if you click in the suit that interests you.

View attachment 140258

Before you spend the money on a new board, what's your surf setup? On your current board, do you have all three fins in?

@marcham, your 195 wave looks pretty great! And I have to add my respect for braving the cold waters as well.

I can't speak to how the H/L Shim performs from first hand experience. I can say with a surety that not all 5'3" boards are made alike. It would be valuable intel to see how it compared side by side. The Coaster has a little extra volume according to the charts and I've been impressed with its abilities. I've ridden a very modest wave on the 5'0" even. My guess is it would be an improvement for you. I was just offered a deal to bring in some 2020 and a couple 2019 Coasters from Slingshot's EU (European Union) warehouse. Those will be available soon for a good price. The Coaster has been our best selling board since it was introduced.

The new Boss Hoss is a big board and high volume board. It should do well on your wave, allowing you to go ropeless quite easily. It will not be as sporty as the smaller Coaster but, the ease of its ability to keep you in the wave will be a good time. The majority of my inventory won't be in the first of May, although they're available now and I've been able to bring a few in for customers as needed.
View attachment 140371
Here's a pic of the Boss Hoss and 5'3" Coaster side by side (Yamaha branded versions)
View attachment 140370
Let me know if you have any questions. If you're interested in either, shoot me a DM and I'll hook you up with a pre-season discount. ??

JRad - is that board holder available for Yamahas?! I'd love something like that!

JRad - is that board holder available for Yamahas?! I'd love something like that!
It's a Yamaha product, but it's specific to the FSH t-top. I'm not sure if it could be modified to fit the biminis of other models.

It's a Yamaha product, but it's specific to the FSH t-top. I'm not sure if it could be modified to fit the biminis of other models.
That is legit. Like the surf pockets on the tow boats. I prefer pockets over racks. Don't have to mount to the tower as removing and putting those racks on is impossible not to leave some sign something has been bolted there.

I have a couple ocean surfboards from growing up. 6'1" rusty, and a 6'8" santa cruz. Anyone every tried an ocean board?

That is legit. Like the surf pockets on the tow boats. I prefer pockets over racks. Don't have to mount to the tower as removing and putting those racks on is impossible not to leave some sign something has been bolted there.

I have a couple ocean surfboards from growing up. 6'1" rusty, and a 6'8" santa cruz. Anyone every tried an ocean board?

Yeah, I really like having the pockets up top. I hate the big arse surf board mounted to the tower. Ocean boards work but I think they're harder to start on. You could probably hang 10 easily though!

Yeah, I really like having the pockets up top. I hate the big arse surf board mounted to the tower. Ocean boards work but I think they're harder to start on. You could probably hang 10 easily though!
back before wake surfing was a thing I used to take my surfboard out and get towed behind our old trihull boat. There wasn't really much of a wake to ride, so it was basically the equivalent of wakeboarding as I was 60ft behind the boat. LOL! I'd get up like you would ocean surfing. It worked ok.

Exactly, not sure why they have not made these available.

We just got our 255XD and are looking for recommendations for surf boards. We have a 10 year old landlock and lighter riders that were skilled (like my daughter) could go ropeless riding it behind our 08' AR210 without ballasts -- but it's just a cruising board and a bit big for my youngest boy that's 5'6" and 13 years old.
I'm thinking about getting two boards -- one for riders 100-175 lbs and one for riders over 200 lbs -- what would you recommend for surfing behind our new boat? TIA

back before wake surfing was a thing I used to take my surfboard out and get towed behind our old trihull boat. There wasn't really much of a wake to ride, so it was basically the equivalent of wakeboarding as I was 60ft behind the boat. LOL! I'd get up like you would ocean surfing. It worked ok.
We did the same thing on the Great South bay of L.I. 1968 Wellcraft/cuddy/115 Evinrude. Before wakeboarding we would surf behind the boat with the ski line over to Fire Island anchor and go surfing in the Ocean. Some of the surfer/relatives still bring the full size board to surf behind the boat.

Something else to try is the long rope with the wake surf board we have the Sling shot coaster and the doomswell neo . The doom swell has a longer skegs just over 4'' and carving around on this is really fun the lower speeds are very easy on your body. The longer skegs help the board track when crossing the wake the coaster gets loose in the tail end. From twenty years of wakeboarding I get bored in "the pocket" and the long rope wakesurf is a blast.

Message @J-RAD (Slingshot). He answered all my question and hooked me up with the board he thought would be best for me.

Back