• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Surfing question

Yoki

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I wonder if there is a good ratio to boat size and ballast weight. I've been looking for some additional weight to my 18footer, but I don't think it will hold 3k worth of water weight. Anyone have any thoughts on suggest ballast weight to boat size?

Blenderhead

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I wonder if there is a good ratio to boat size and ballast weight. I've been looking for some additional weight to my 18footer, but I don't think it will hold 3k worth of water weight. Anyone have any thoughts on suggest ballast weight to boat size?
I believe the key is 2 things - 1. clean up the jet wash 2. Get the Surfside rear corner deep enough into the water to displace water and create a decent wake.

Since jet boats have a shallow draft you need to sink/list it enough with enough ballast. With your size boat it could be significantly less weight than 3k lbs

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What board is that in the video? We're thinking of getting a different board.
@scokill it's a hyperlite of some kind. . . . Not near it at the moment but will update once I can figure out which one. We love it.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is a pic of our wave from last weekend... heading out again this weekend... any suggestions to help go ropeless? Set up was 1180# bag under port seat 400# bag under starboard seat. I have 750# in the center locker we didn't use... if I understand it right that would make the wave smaller giving it less push but further from the boat. Am I understanding that right? We prob had another 1000 pounds on the boat in people all on surf side except driver. Thanks for your input guys!
Fill that other 750, not only will it push the wave a little bit farther back but it will also make the wave bigger. That bag will add to the overall displacement and displacement is what gives the wave its size.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Fill that other 750, not only will it push the wave a little bit farther back but it will also make the wave bigger. That bag will add to the overall displacement and displacement is what gives the wave its size.
Another thing to consider when doing this is the swim platform area. Ballast in the locker will push the nose down and jets up. . . .ballast on the swim platform will help keep the jets deep so they don't wash out the wave.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@scokill it's a hyperlite of some kind. . . . Not near it at the moment but will update once I can figure out which one. We love it.
I would like a shorter/fatter, more maneuverable board. Finally had a driver and enough people for me to surf this weekend. I can cruise as long as I want but I like to try and have a little fun. I think I could pull a spin with the right board.

Just a couple of short vids with only 800 lbs on swim deck, 450 surf side seat and boat full of people. I had 800 more lbs which would have made a great wave but was trying to make the boat comfortable for 10 people.

Brad Dunn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We have our 242x dialed. I think. Lol
Wake wedge and 750 on rear seat and 400lb on the swim deck. Only one on boat and one driving.
Actually one driving and one surfing. The one with friend on top of wake there were 8 on boat.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We have our 242x dialed. I think. Lol
Wake wedge and 750 on rear seat and 400lb on the swim deck. Only one on boat and one driving.
This with full factory ballast, too, right? Are you able to fill the factory bags all the way?

--

Brad Dunn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This with full factory ballast, too, right? Are you able to fill the factory bags all the way?

--
Yes factory bags full. The ski compartment we find if we fill it alone first it gets full. If we hit fill all it only gets 75% full. You can go into system and manually fill. Then when full. Click on save. Hard to explain.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@scokill . . . in the GIF I have all 3 fins on. . . . but you can take one or 2 off to give you ore maneuverability if desired.

Hyperlite Broadcast Wakesurf Board - 2015
Select Board Length

5'4"
SKU 22022

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would like a shorter/fatter, more maneuverable board. Finally had a driver and enough people for me to surf this weekend. I can cruise as long as I want but I like to try and have a little fun. I think I could pull a spin with the right board.

Just a couple of short vids with only 800 lbs on swim deck, 450 surf side seat and boat full of people. I had 800 more lbs which would have made a great wave but was trying to make the boat comfortable for 10 people.

The Space Pickle is made for cruising. You need more of a skim style board for tricks. We have a pickle for cruising and a CWB ride for fun. Plus the skim boards are way easier to store in the boat than the pickle

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The Space Pickle is made for cruising. You need more of a skim style board for tricks. We have a pickle for cruising and a CWB ride for fun. Plus the skim boards are way easier to store in the boat than the pickle
How would you know. . . . . Didn't I buy all of your ballast? ; )

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's exactly the info I was looking for!

geohil

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yes factory bags full. The ski compartment we find if we fill it alone first it gets full. If we hit fill all it only gets 75% full. You can go into system and manually fill. Then when full. Click on save. Hard to explain.
This brings up a good point and something I've noticed too. If I fill the bags individually on the '17 212X they fill much more than if I hit the "Fill All" preset. Do all the pumps use a common input line - are we overloading how much water that can supply if we run them all at the same time?

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
True. I still surf just with no ballast. Doesnt change the facts about the board style though!

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Not sure if anyone else has mentioned or not, but notice how close to the boat the sweet spot of the pocket is in Devildogs gif. Many beginners avoid or are hesitant to get in close to the boat.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure if anyone else has mentioned or not, but notice how close to the boat the sweet spot of the pocket is in Devildogs gif. Many beginners avoid or are hesitant to get in close to the boat.
The GIF is actually a bit deceiving. . . . . . The pocket is further back then you might think. I will try to re-shoot from a different angle this weekend.

Here's a vid from the surfers perspective.

Pisgah Pilot (2016 212X)

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The GIF is actually a bit deceiving. . . . . . The pocket is further back then you might think. I will try to re-shoot from a different angle this weekend.

Here's a vid from the surfers perspective.

I love this video man!!! What angle do you think you have the wedge at? Have you tried to stretch out the wave with adding some front ballast?

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The edge of the wedge should be right about at the top of the jet assembly. From there it's small adjustments.