• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Surfing question

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I put a 540 on the floor over the ski locker. I started with it all the way at the back and have moved it forward so about 3/4 of the bag is on the locker. I'll need more weight on the stern before I can move it forward any more. I currently use a 540 on the swim deck and an 800 on the port seat.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I love this video man!!! What angle do you think you have the wedge at? Have you tried to stretch out the wave with adding some front ballast?
Thanks, glad you liked it. Yes, I have played with ballast up front. I've had 400 in bow area in addition to the 400lbs in the ski locker. What I've found is its better for the wave to sink the jets as much as possible. When you load up the front it tends to want to level out.

nate kennedy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

After watching your videos comparing to mine it looks like I need more weight. In this video I have 1180# full port side 400 starboard side and prob 400 in ski locker... there was also probably 700-800 pounds passangers all surf side except driver. Should we be looking at adding an external bag on the swim platform? I was trying to avoid that I liked them all hidden. Any other thoughts let me know!

Thanks!!!

Brady

Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautic Star
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Hello I'm ready to buy a jet boat! My main thing I want to do is wakesurf! Budject under 12,500$ any suggestions of what to get/look for?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If I fill the bags individually on the '17 212X they fill much more than if I hit the "Fill All" preset. Do all the pumps use a common input line - are we overloading how much water that can supply if we run them all at the same time?
There is only one input line on the 242x, but the boat is only filling one bag/tank at a time. On the new 212x with rear tanks, there are TWO input lines...one for the ski locker, and one shared between the two rear tanks. I wonder if on the 212x there is a power draw issue when you run both at the same time?

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello I'm ready to buy a jet boat! My main thing I want to do is wakesurf! Budject under 12,500$ any suggestions of what to get/look for?
With a budget of $12.5K you don't really have any options in a surfable jet boat IMHO.

Brady

Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautic Star
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I could go 15k

AJR1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
To surf "ropeless" behind a jet boat you will need about 2500lbs of ballast and a wake wedge ... Add that cost $1300-$1500 to your budget

geohil

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I could go 15k
Since surfing is all about displacement you need a 19' boat or better. The cheapest Yamaha I've seen was a 21' for $24,500. After that you are still going to need a couple hundred dollars in external ballast bags (if you buy the less expensive ones) and a $800 wake wedge.
You might be able to find a cheaper Seadoo Utopia but I'm not up on what it takes to get those to surf.

You might be better off to find an old inboard and get some bags? I've seen a couple Mastercraft's around here for under $10k, but then you have the maintenance of a carbureted American V8.
Sorry man.

Last edited:

nate kennedy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Can't go ropeless or find any push, but I can enjoy it with family at least!

Attachments

Blenderhead

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
There is only one input line on the 242x, but the boat is only filling one bag/tank at a time. On the new 212x with rear tanks, there are TWO input lines...one for the ski locker, and one shared between the two rear tanks. I wonder if on the 212x there is a power draw issue when you run both at the same time?
I run all my pumps at the same time, as well as run the additional pump I installed to fill my Flyhigh bags on my rear swim deck. No power draw issues noticed.

Attachments

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I run all my pumps at the same time, as well as run the additional pump I installed to fill my Flyhigh bags on my rear swim deck. No power draw issues noticed.
Interesting, when showing me the 242x the Yamaha engineers said the pumps ran in series not in parallel. Based on that, the new 212x should run 2 pumps at once, but not 3. The reason the engineers gave was that the water inlet couldn't keep up with the demand from more than one pump. Perhaps they increased the inflow size?

The 242x (2016) has only one inlet
The 212x (2017) has two inlets (one for ski locker and one shared for under seat tanks)

Blenderhead

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Interesting, when showing me the 242x the Yamaha engineers said the pumps ran in series not in parallel. Based on that, the new 212x should run 2 pumps at once, but not 3. The reason the engineers gave was that the water inlet couldn't keep up with the demand from more than one pump. Perhaps they increased the inflow size?

The 242x (2016) has only one inlet
The 212x (2017) has two inlets (one for ski locker and one shared for under seat tanks)
All I know is that I press "Fill All" ballast and press the rocker on my additional pump and they actively fill up at the same time.... now this of course is referencing the fill indicators on my screen that all show active filling at the same time. Of course my ski locker bag takes longer to fill but, as far as I can see they are filling quickly and simultaneously.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
All I know is that I press "Fill All" ballast and press the rocker on my additional pump and they actively fill up at the same time.... now this of course is referencing the fill indicators on my screen that all show active filling at the same time. Of course my ski locker bag takes longer to fill but, as far as I can see they are filling quickly and simultaneously.
Cool...when I do fill all, they start filling one after another...so the newer system is WAY better!

geohil

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Cool...when I do fill all, they start filling one after another...so the newer system is WAY better!
I think it is a mixed blessing. I was playing last night with the "Fill All" vs. filling individually. When I use "Fill All" my rear tanks make it to maybe 80% and my ski locker bag makes it to maybe 75%. If I fill individually I get closer to 90% on all. Wish it was easier to adjust the timers in Connext to correct this issue.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian my boat is still one intake and fills all 3 at the same time, but I can see where my port bag would be starved

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian my boat is still one intake and fills all 3 at the same time, but I can see where my port bag would be starved
Ok.....perhaps they've changed it....or my memory is fouled up! I've not watched mine. But I do recall a discussion with the techs about filling one at a time....might be how they max out filling them?

Last edited:

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Ok.....perhaps they've changed it....or my memory is fouled up! I've not watched mine. But I do recall a discussion with the techs about filling one at a time....might be how they may out filling them?
I doubt it, your memory is darn good, I bet they just changed it.