• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Surfing setups, ballast, etc.

Tommy Bierly

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hi! I’ve been reading posts on surfing all morning, so i know there are plenty of posts about it, but a lot of them were dated, so I thought I’d start a new one.

what’s your current setup? Where and how much ballast do you run? Pics of wave? What you plan to try next?

setup: 2012 242 LS, thrust vector wakes, perfect pass, 4’6” board, speed - 10.5-11.5

ballast: 750 fatsac in ski locker, 850 fatsac on surf side/transom
Future plans: longer board (Connelly - Ride), add jet wash deflector, looking at ballast bag for bow...I heard weight up front makes the wave longer)...might try to permanently hard wire the ski locker bag.

Attachments

capt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have an 07 sx230 with tvw's and perfect pass usually 11 mph
I have been using the 21 ft transom bag surf side and then a 800 lb bag on the cockpit deck and a couple people in the bow.

I want to try another few hundred pounds on the deck and a few hundred pounds up in the bow.

I can't find a recent pic of my current setup.20200423_172952_1.gif

jackson21

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I’ve got a 2015 212x with thrust vector wakes installed, the custom 21 ft transom ballast bag (750 lbs) full stock ballast under rear seats (~600 lbs) as well as a 850 lb bag on rear seats with a 150 lb human in bow, plan to adjust thrust vector wakes to fine tune and get some tower speakers and a sub
D3F3D6C8-593B-4FD8-8EA4-470EF4176869.jpeg

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
Does anyone have experience use JetBoatPilot weight bags vs Yamaha wakesurf ballast or fat sack?

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I did use the custom fatsac for the transom and wake wedge, but at the end of the season got tired of draining and filling the fatsac from side to side for different riders. Also the Tsumi pump doesn't float (found out the hard way) and after snapping two tie down straps and fatsac rolling off the transom. Also, switching the universal wake wedge from side to side in the water is nearly impossible. If you have a boat lift to go back to then I recommend that. I've transitioned to the weight bags 1,000 lbs (take up much less room and a lot easier to redistribute underway depending on you passenger load) I'm also going with the JetboatPilot jet wash deflector. Planned spring project new Wakemakers setup with thru hull ports and install permanent pump for center locker custom bag. Also #1 for Surfing is the Ridesteady speed control (marriage saver). I've installed both Perfect Pass and @Ridesteady on this boat and Ridesteady is clear winner on install and use. Hope this helps..
Happy Boating!

Mustangswan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We have a 16 212X. We run a wakewedge, cobra fins, and 3 ballast bag setup. A custom wakemakers 1000lbs post side under seat, a stock starboard 400lbs bag and a 800lbs FatSac on the rear port side upper swim deck. For a total of 2200 lbs. The lake we are at is pretty calm and pretty small-ish, so I don’t worry to much about all the weight. And carry minimal gear in the boat other than people, towels and boards. The wave is pretty decent for a jet boat, at least I am happy with it.
B2F3EC69-BBFF-45FC-89DB-2CBA4818288C.png