• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Survey: Did you know ... every 12 months or 100 hrs?

Did you know that you are supposed to check your impeller duct bearing annually?

• Yes, I remove my nozzle and cone, and install a new o-ring per the maintenance instructions.

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Yes, I remove my nozzle and cone, check for water ingress; if none, I just close it back up.

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • No, I wasn't aware that this had to be done ever 12 months or 100 hrs.

Votes: 44 86.3%

• Total voters

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So @Bill D, what color was the grease in your bearing/hub? I just want to know what to expect when I open mine up.
thx
Hmmmm, kind of yellowish / beige and kinda creamy? The main thing I was looking for was to see if it was runny and if there was any visible rust or water.

How will will you clean the grease out?
I'm not really sure. I think I remember Cam saying that he put it in a bag and hit it with an air compressor wand. Do you think I should be concerned with removing all the old grease, or is most of it close enough?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dripped all over myself when I was crawling under the trailer...
That does sound like an age related issue I have to say.
:D

--

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Bruce I don't remember my grease looking quite as green as what is pictured in your post. Is that likely from the water incursion, or should it look that way, and is mine off? If I'm reading your post correctly, you're saying that it would be best to leave well enough alone unless I have to replace the bearings? Do you think it is necessary to add any grease to the cone if everything looks ok?

I'm 100% ok with taking an item off my to-do list! :)

jpass

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Our Sea Doo boat has a similar requirement. The main reason for inspection is to ensure that the grease is still present and in good shape and also that water isn't getting into the pump internals. If the grease looks good and there's no discoloration or water, you are good to go. I cleaned out the old grease and added new per the manual, but as others have stated, that only addresses the grease on the outside of the outer bearing, the inside and the more internal bearing grease can only be changed by tearing down the pump and at that point, you might as well replace the bearings while you're in there.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bill D, the grease in my 2014 and 2016 pictures was 7 and 9 years old. If you do not find water in there I would call it good, put a little grease on the o-ring and put it back together.

No grease has escaped so there is no need to add any.

If you pack the rear bearing you still are not doing anything for the front bearing which is more likely to have an issue.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@MrMoose I pulled the pumps today and took pictures of the cones for reference. I think they look the same as I remembered. Although, sometimes I have on my rose-colored glasses and that can change the hue on things... Either way, 320ish hours.

Starboard
Starboard Pump Bearing.jpg
Starboard Pump Cone.jpg
Port
Port Pump Bearing.jpg
Port Pump Cone.jpg

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bill D, great pics. Your grease and bearings look really good. Thanks for sharing.
Comparatively speaking, it seems that I had less grease in my cones, but the grease that was in there still seemed to be contacting the bearings.
upload_2017-2-12_8-36-6.png
upload_2017-2-12_8-39-15.png
upload_2017-2-12_8-42-22.png
upload_2017-2-12_8-44-34.png
@swatski, did you have more grease in your cone on your 2016?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Seems about the same:
upload_2017-2-12_8-54-11.pngupload_2017-2-12_8-54-23.png

--

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I almost forgot to mention, on Bruce's recommendation, I just rubbed some grease on the O-ring and closed them back up. :)

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I almost forgot to mention, on Bruce's recommendation, I just rubbed some grease on the I-ring and closed them back up. :)
My shop manual said to apply marine grease on the o-ring, so that's what I did.