• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lubricate shaft splines? Dealer says required maintenance

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Why they recommend (M) grease and not (A) grease?????
Probably because the moly grease holds up really well in high temp and high pressure situations....I'll bet those splines get pretty warm when running, and I'm sure the pressure is pretty high.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I appreciate everyone's insight on this. Sounds like nobody has heard of this being a regular maintenance item but can't hurt to pull the pumps and add some grease to the splines, even if just for the exercise of familiarizing myself with how to pull the pumps. I have some Yamaha marine grease A that I've used for other maintenance items so I'll use that unless anyone knows of something different that should be used. If anyone has access to a 2018 service manual, I'd be interested to see if this specific item is listed in there as a maintenance check.
Even if its not a "required" yamaha maintenance process, its good habit to lube those splines every few years. Pay $120 now or $500 to Bubba at the dealer with his sledge hammer and torch when they can't pull the pump easily to change the impeller or whatever.

Coryd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Alright, going to do this job myself once I get the grease. Really wasn't crazy about taking the boat to the dealer since it's a 120 miles each way. Hopefully, they'll just send me the new display and bimini top they were going to replace under warranty.

I'm assuming this is the correct grease?

Attachments

dlkhmk

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
That’s the correct one.

Just recently pulled my pump for the first time and it was very easy and straightforward. This video is the best I found prior to doing mine.

Torque specs for the 4 main bolts - 29.5 ft lbs

Coryd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That’s the correct one.

Just recently pulled my pump for the first time and it was very easy and straightforward. This video is the best I found prior to doing mine.

Torque specs for the 4 main bolts - 29.5 ft lbs
Thanks man, appreciate you providing the torque specs too. I've watched that video more than a few time in the last couple days, definitely looks simple.

Coryd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One more thing - do you guys put loc-tite on the four pump bolts?

dlkhmk

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Yes. My service manual calls for Loctite 572 which I couldn't find without ordering online.

I cleaned the threads good with acetone and a brush and used regular blue Loctite 242.

Just like the grease, I'm sure there's a difference and reason, but then again I'm most definitely not an expert. But I can say, mine has been in the water and used numerous times since it was apart and everything is tight and running fine.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
572 is interesting, I bought some to see what it's all about. More like a thread sealant. In sure it helps keep water out, so it helps the screws stay in, and helps them come out by displacing the water and keeping the threads dry.

Many (me included) have gone years without knowing what it was, so you should be fine without it.

Coryd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Cool, thanks again guys. If I can't find the 572, I'll just use the 242.

jsg73

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Holy crap that video was done by my dealer. I am shocked they put anything out there that could cause them to lose service charges.

Jeel

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That you tube video is awesome , it shows how easy it is to do this yourself ..it also shows you dont need a torque wrench , loctite or grease

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
In salt water I have found that the stainless bolts and the aluminum pump housings get corroded together and the bolts do not like to come out as well as the pump requiring leverage and a special slide hammer I built to get the pump to come out for the first time.
A trick I learned about 40 years ago is bees wax will keep bolts from seizing and it will allow you to remove the pump easily so when I do any pump work I put bees wax on all the bolts that go through the pump housings.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Of the things recommended to lubricate @100 hours (impellerdducts, jet thrust nozzles, intermediate housings), here's the pages related to them

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The LT 572 is Loctite 572, white, and listed as a sealant in the service manual. Not sure what it might be comparable to, but that's what's specified by Yamaha.

Last edited:

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Even if its not a "required" yamaha maintenance process, its good habit to lube those splines every few years. Pay $120 now or $500 to Bubba at the dealer with his sledge hammer and torch when they can't pull the pump easily to change the impeller or whatever.
THIS advice right here is my bet as to why they told you this needs to be done. I'm betting they're counting on you not being able to do this procedure if/when necessary, and finally bringing it in for them for service.

Coryd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length