• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Survey on what states allow you to sit on the swim deck seats facing back while underway.

Solraider

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
In MN it is required when towing a person with a PWC you need a second person on board as a spotter. They can sit backwards or forward. We have done this with our PWC and facing backwards as the spotter is a challenge depending on wave action, driving action etc. If you accidently fall off you risk falling on the rope or being hit by the towed person.

So when we bought our bought last year we thought it was OK to use the back seats with feet on the swim deck because it was designed that way and it is a jet drive. We would idle around and go on relaxing rides. This is certainly a lot safer then being the spotter on a PWC. Anyway on one ride we were given a warning by the Sheriff who was enforcing the rules as written. The rules don't differentiate between prop and jet drive.

Are there any forum members who do this?
What state are you in?
Is it legal in that state?

Thanks for the feedback.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It is a federal USCG requirement to not ride there while engines are running for Carbon Monoxide poisioning reasons.

Screenshot_20190822-120136.png

Screenshot_20190822-123157.png

Solraider

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I read some of the previous links posted on the girls CO death and my question is answered on the why. Will not be letting anyone sit back there while underway. Its tempting to ride back there because its comfortable and such an open area - the thought of CO did not come up in our conversations with ourselves and the Sheriffs dept.

Thanks for posting the info Zipper and Mark

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Its tempting to ride back there because its comfortable and such an open area - the thought of CO did not come up in our conversations...

Thanks for posting the info Zipper and Mark
Some try to call it an "Attractive Nuisance".

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Colorless, odorless and your body absorbs it better than Oxygen.

With a quarter-century working in heavy manufacturing, I have a healthy respect for Carbon Monoxide. I even get nervous traveling for long distances at no-wake speeds with a tailwind. I'm always cautious about use of the head compartment in that situation.

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
It is legal in GA so long as you are operating in a safe manner. Obviously that would be at the desecration of authority figure.

nick731

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
It is legal in GA so long as you are operating in a safe manner. Obviously that would be at the desecration of authority figure.
Hey Rod, that is very interesting that GA seems to be one of the few posted so far that allows it (under safe operations). Is that a written rule somewhere? Do you have family/passengers ride back there and have they ever experienced any issues like falling or feeling off/affected by the carbon monoxide mentioned by other posters?

Thanks! We are in Augusta so not to far from you. -Nick

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
GA dweller here. I didn't know it was legal. I assume it is a blanket law but should be applied rationally by the boat operater. The yamaha manual states that is an area of CO exposure. So legal or not, I don't let my crew there, unless I really dislike them and they have good life insurance! :)

nick731

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
GA dweller here. I didn't know it was legal. I assume it is a blanket law but should be applied rationally by the boat operater. The yamaha manual states that is an area of CO exposure. So legal or not, I don't let my crew there, unless I really dislike them and they have good life insurance! :)
Ha! :cool: I saw the warnings as well but assumed that it was more of a risk at long idle, but would it really be a risk at speed with all that wind flow dispersing the CO?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Anyway on one ride we were given a warning by the Sheriff who was enforcing the rules as written. The rules don't differentiate between prop and jet drive.
The difference is not Prop to Jet here in MN, it's PWC and boat. In most states, including MN, you need to be "in the boat" or protected by a guard rail if not in. As in, you can be up on the bow of an enclosed cabin boat if there is a guard rail. But an open stern on a boat is illegal in most states.

PWC are defined differently in most states, including MN, as you cannot sit "in" them, rather "on" them. So all Carbon Monoxide warnings aside, the law revolves around in/out of the boat.

PS: it's my wifes favorite seat as well, but only at higher speeds due to fumes.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ha! :cool: I saw the warnings as well but assumed that it was more of a risk at long idle, but would it really be a risk at speed with all that wind flow dispersing the CO?
I think you still would be. As I understand it, due to the aerodynamics / air flow in that area, you basically get a dead zone of flow and poor re-circulation of air at that location. Sort of what happens to the bed of a pickup truck. I know some people do it, but honestly I prefer not to take the risk.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We do it often only at "no wake" speeds and with air currents that move exhaust away from occupants. I will check on local legality though.

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Hey Rod, that is very interesting that GA seems to be one of the few posted so far that allows it (under safe operations). Is that a written rule somewhere? Do you have family/passengers ride back there and have they ever experienced any issues like falling or feeling off/affected by the carbon monoxide mentioned by other posters?

Thanks! We are in Augusta so not to far from you. -Nick
Hey Nick!
We do it often when surfing (at surf speed) for additional human ballast, coaching new surfers, taking pictures, and just plain for the fun of it. No one has ever felt the effects of carbon monoxide or had issues falling off during taking off pulling up skiers. That said I always kill the engines when idling for extended time like switching riders or pee breaks. We have also cautiously run around on plane with people back there, again no issues of someone feeling like they are falling off during takeoff or while at speed.

For context our boat is a 2016 (is not a CARB or does Not have the catalytic converters) with 314 hours on it which I would say 70 to 80% of those hours are from surfing or foiling and 30 to 40% of of those hours are with with 1 to 3 people sitting facing back on the back seats. So doing the math that's a minimum of 65 hours with passengers back there never once with any issues or ill effects from Carbon Monoxide.

Everyone should weigh the risks and only do what they believe is the right for their family, friends, in-laws, etc.

GA law is not specific to the back seats and reads:
Riding on Bow or Gunwale is illegal if the boat is not equipped with a railing. As a boat operator, you are prohibited from allowing your passengers to ride on the bow or gunwale.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's been my experrience that Coast Guard, Harbor Master or local water police can always use the broad charge of operating unsafe or recklessly. Early this summer I was pulled over by the harbor master claiming I was speeding. I was operating in a large open bay that I am very familiar with. There are no mooring or Anchorage and no speed markings. I did see the harbor master pulled up to the beach talking to people on the only two boats on the bay. They were approximately 200 yards away. As my wife and I cruised by he took off after me and lit me up. Started yelling at me about speeding. I told him I have been operating in this bay for 7 years and didn't realize they posted new speed restrictions. He said they didn't. I asked how anybody should know what the proper speed should be. He had no good answer so just said there were two boats on the beach. He left without incident but my point is he could have used the stop as a reason for a safety check just to be difficult.

I always wave at these guys as I do appreciate what they do. I also believe I run a safe ship as I did in the sky. I do intend to look into this issue locally just to be on the right side of things.

nick731

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Hey Nick!
We do it often when surfing (at surf speed) for additional human ballast, coaching new surfers, taking pictures, and just plain for the fun of it. No one has ever felt the effects of carbon monoxide or had issues falling off during taking off pulling up skiers. That said I always kill the engines when idling for extended time like switching riders or pee breaks. We have also cautiously run around on plane with people back there, again no issues of someone feeling like they are falling off during takeoff or while at speed.

For context our boat is a 2016 (is not a CARB or does Not have the catalytic converters) with 314 hours on it which I would say 70 to 80% of those hours are from surfing or foiling and 30 to 40% of of those hours are with with 1 to 3 people sitting facing back on the back seats. So doing the math that's a minimum of 65 hours with passengers back there never once with any issues or ill effects from Carbon Monoxide.

Everyone should weigh the risks and only do what they believe is the right for their family, friends, in-laws, etc.

GA law is not specific to the back seats and reads:
Riding on Bow or Gunwale is illegal if the boat is not equipped with a railing. As a boat operator, you are prohibited from allowing your passengers to ride on the bow or gunwale.
Thanks for the reply and info Rod, I feel that we will be using it very similarly. :cool:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Gym , the harbor master may be relying on the rules regarding speeding around swimmers/swimming areas and/or boats at anchor/beached boats.

Check out the second bullet in the attached screenshot.

897E4053-8F25-461C-B2BE-87D8E7E91AFA.png