• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Switching Back to Cobras this weekend

yes that is correct

Now here is a post from a customer in Texas who has a 25 foot Yamaha with just my super magnum ak-19 deluxe steering , he had his fins set all the way down and I advised him to put them 1 setting up and just try it, here is the conversation on a face book page

By the way Joseph Ford have you had any more time on the water since your last post .

Joseph Ford replied

Jeffrey T. Walkowiak I have and absolutely incredible difference. The steering at low, medium and high speed is spot on. Reverse after your suggested setting was spot on and it is night and day difference in reverse and the responsiveness and move ability

Jeffrey T. Walkowiak replied

Joseph Ford thank you So my super magnum ak-19 deluxe on your 25 foot Yamaha boat with no other modification set on the setting I say to use in the instructions was a huge difference in reverse and in forward so now you know why I have people use that setting.

Joseph Ford replied

Jeffrey T. Walkowiak absolutely!

Here is a comment from the person who did the comparison video posted on A Facebook page , there was a huge thread and it just vanished from the site so people started asking who posted it and where it went and the next thing another large post was started and on that post was the person who did the video so I asked him this question
Jeffrey T. Walkowiak asked

Jason Dellise so are you still happy with your decision of removing your thrust vectors and installing the cobra super magnum ak-19 deluxe on your boat ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKHLh6KJsy8 I thank you for your time doing that video.

Jason Dellise answered

Jeffrey T. Walkowiak yes, I'm still using and very happy with your fins. My daughter especially likes them. Personally, I think it's mostly she's at the age where things just clicked. But she is driving by herself, much better and much more confidently with the cobra fins than she was a month ago with the thrust vectors.
And this is his 7 year old daughter washing her corvette.1661692348998.png

Last edited:
So I've been out twice since changing back from Thrust Vector L to Cobra AK19 Deluxe. The first time I was on a narrow river and I did notice I was able to take a tighter turn while on plane with the Cobras. But the biggest improvement was this past weekend on the Chesapeake. We cruised from Kent Narrows to St. Michaels and had lots of crossing boat wakes from big boats (30-50'). The stern felt locked in and never once felt like it slid or was loose. This was a huge difference compared to the TV-L which is up while on plane. So the TV-L work great at slow speed and are probably sufficient on most lakes. But for my needs, the Cobras were a clear winner. So my TV-L are for sale now in the Classified section.

My 275SD has power steering so it sounds like they would not add any benefits for my boat... so I would just go with the Super Magnum AK-19 Deluxe.

Thanks again for taking time to answer my questions!
correct

I have a single engine, thus things are different. Personally, after trying a few different ways, I think all the way down blocked too much of the side thrust from the rear buckets. It does slightly improve forward tracking. So I have my fins one hole up (4-5?). That works best for me.

Thanks for mentioning that - yes, it's indeed different for us single engine folks. No differential thrust to leverage.

Agreed... the lowest setting is great for tracking across wakes and docking. If you eyeball exactly parallel down the "chute" on either side of the 2019+ angled reverse bucket "nozzles," the 4-5 setting and above is where the fin is out of the way. I'm considering carefully trimming a little off the back (sorry Jeff and I expect that'd handily void my warranty) to be able to set them at 5-6 and keep all the reverse turning authority the stock angled chutes allow.

Something I've seen Jeff mention and others only occasionally, is the large horizontal plate in the AK-19 Deluxe. Going from the original JBP TVs, with that plate I immediately noticed the boat handling chop better at speed. It's counterintuitive that on a rough(er) day I now speed up for a smoother ride vs. the more reflexive slowing down. There are limits of course. It works on the afternoon chop in the wide and shallow FL intracoastals I frequent.

Last, yes, the JBP TVs for me rose up at no-wake 3 for sure with a prominent rooster tail and maybe a little at no-wake 2. I prefer the fins always down at speed so the rear end doesn't wander as much and more firm steering is desirable. You still have the slippery option if you want anyway, with 6-7.

I recently considered the TV-L + lateral thruster group buy - because the reverse is still sometimes scary sluggish. After thinking it over, I agreed with Jeff that the stock design - provided the angled nozzles are not obstructed, appears to be the best compromise, and chose to stick with the AK-19 Deluxe setup for the time being.

On the 2019 and newer I recommend the 4 and 5 position to allow the reverse thrust to clear I have posted pictures of that to show how it is out of the way on that setting so no need to mess with the fin unless you have the older type these are the ones we use now , the leading edge is cut back just for this purpose. I have been making the super ultimate and the super magnum fins this way for a while actually.
1662754675408.jpeg1662754763589.jpeg

Last edited:
Back