• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Switching cockpit from SeaDeck back to Carpet.

Slowly but surely. image.jpg

Look in' good!

Now would be a good time to document the flow of water between compartments!
They're gonna fill up anyway.

I am currently in the process of installing Sea Deck in my boat. Swim deck is done, and waiting for the rest to arrive. At the advice of Will, I used a pressure washer on the swim deck, using the most powerful attachment. It pulled the Hydro Turf off in a hurry. The nice thing is, no glue is left behind. It took me about 30minutes to do both swim deck platforms, and they looked like new when done.

The right side of the pic shows a small area that I did by hand with a heat gun (glue left behind, and it was a slow process), the left side shown less than 5 minute with the pressure washer.

Attachments

• IMAG0822.jpg
    IMAG0822.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 111
I started with a pressure washer.
Managed to chip the gel coat in several spots, honestly wasn't any easier than the method I'm using.

...and here I am with a 3 week old 242LS, logged in today having made my mind up to install Seadek throughout. Second thoughts anyone? My carpet is still in the plastic and never opened. Maybe I'll try it out next weekend. LOL

@Detonate will you be able to reinstall the carpet snaps into the same locations? some of those holes looked fatigued, I'm wondering if the self tappers have enough to bite into.

Seadeck is the closed cell media right.....I'm surprised you're seeing the wear you are....I'm questioning this move now.

My issue with the carpet is the constant mildew smell.

The snaps screwed back into the holes just fine.

However, the holes don't line up with the new carpet!! :eek:

Just like with Hydro-Turf, from time to time it's going to need to be replaced. It's just a royal pain in the ass to replace it!!! Replacing carpet is much easier...

It looks like I installed the Seadek in 2010, so I got 3 solid years out of it. Seadek told me to expect about 5 years...

I'll just patch all my old holes with a little Marine-Tex and start new ones for the new carpet.

@justason ..Smelly carpet? Do you leave your carpet snapped in the boa when covered? Or do you take it up?

@Detonate ..Looking good..I see you moved on to using Lite beer remove the glue...Good move..I knew it was good for more than just quenching one's thirst

Seadeck is the closed cell media right.....
correct.
My issue with the carpet is the constant mildew smell.
I had the same problem. Removing it after every outing was a major PITA:mad:
Even after it would dry out I still could smell that musty smell on the back side of it. Before I sold it I double and triple scrubbed it with a carpet cleaner and used antimildew cleaning solution. Then I fabreezed the heck out of it and did the whole process again. When I was done it smelled great and into the shipping box it went. The person that bought it is on this board so maybe he can comment if the smell ever came back. My boating window is small and I have little time to mess with carpet. I've have hydro turf on the swim deck and that stuff is powdering which leaves black foot prints all over my boat. I'm looking forward to getting the seadeck.

...and here I am with a 3 week old 242LS, logged in today having made my mind up to install Seadek throughout. Second thoughts anyone? My carpet is still in the plastic and never opened. Maybe I'll try it out next weekend. LOL
I'll give you $250 for it. Shipping included!!

Hey man just KCCO!

Hey @Detonate! Nice seats ;)

@Detonate ..Looking good..I see you moved on to using Lite beer remove the glue...Good move..I knew it was good for more than just quenching one's thirst
LOL I'm sure that was WAY MORE than a 1 can job :p

Carpet is great. You just need to take it out to dry. This task is not a big deal EXCEPT for that one big funky shaped piece in the main cockpit area. I don't know why they didn't just make it in 3 sections. Then the whole carpet maintenance would be easy peasey.

I've been thinking about taking my 1 large piece to a shop and have it sectioned.

Replacing the mat on the swim deck every 3 years is a pain as it is. I've had two generations of Hydro-Turf and I'm now using SeaDek on the swim deck. I do like it there, but I can't imaging doing it in the whole cockpit. Some people may get longer life out of it, but sooner or later it WILL need to be replaced.

@justason ..Smelly carpet? Do you leave your carpet snapped in the boa when covered? Or do you take it up?

It's mostly a moisture statement, end of the weekend we pull the boat and garage it. If the carpet is damp it molds thru the week. Last summer parts of my garage got fuzzy. I'm in the process of installing ceiling fans now to dry and circulate the air. I pull the carpets and soak them in some magical potion more often now as well. First year with it we thought it was the Bimini smelly bad from it getting rolled up wet.....

End of summer this year was going to be a Sea deck swap out, I think I'll wait till the carpet is history.

@Detonate does your Seadeck get above average sun exposure ? what do you think was the primary root cause of the breakdown so early. Even 5 years is a short time for a $$$ upgrade like this.....

@Detonate thank you for sharing your saga. My carpet is still in great shape entering our third year. I've thought about replacing it just because it's a light (whiteish) color, but the Berber really seems to wear very well. Now I'm really hoping to get several more years out of it.

Surprised deckadence hasn't been brought up by now. I think that is what I am going with after my carpet gets old. Of course I will have to do the swim deck in hydro turf but that is an easy task.

The cost is high up front but the maintenence on it it easy, wash through design, mildew resistant, and the air flows through it so it dries easier.

I love hydro turf and similar products (e.g. Seadeck and Blacktip mats). I've installed a lot of turf of both of my Yamahas and most recently on my Waverunners' trailer. I wouldn't replace my carpet with it unless or until I had to. Even if my carpet wears out I'd look for new carpet first NOT because turf breaks down quickly or because it can be hard to remove entirely (other than bright colors fading fast I haven't had any wear issues with the turf I've installed) but because it is a lot more prone to damage than carpet and unlike turf, carpet does not have to be cleaned or stored in place.

My best example is the hydro turf kit I installed in my SeaDoo Challenger X20 ($300ish). This was SeaDoos top of the line boat when it was released and carpet wasn't even an option. The first time the boat was in the water after turf was installed one of my guests put a single water ski down on it in the bow. The pressure from the ski's weight (probably when it was put / dropped down) put a crease/cut in it where the skeg/fin was touching the turf. I had to live with that / see that every time I used the boat and it caused me to be a lot more careful about what I put on or left on the deck. I've never had that issue with carpet.

Back