• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Switching cockpit from SeaDeck back to Carpet.

I'm thinking about trying one of these out to control the moisture.

q

Davis Instruments Air-Dryer

@justason I ask because I too used to have stinky carpet. The first year I would keep my carpet snapped down over the week day between boating. It would stink until the sun did its thing. I would pull it and wash it with car soap and a cap full of bleach. Power wash it , lowest setting, I realized then that the Yamaha mooring covers are not totally water proof. The carpet would get damp from rain band then fester. Since then I have pulled my carpets every weekend after boating and roll them up storing them in my port locker. Off the floor of course. Have not had a stinky carpet since nor have I washed them again. Just what has worked for me. Again I am in the very humid state of Virginia..might work for you as well?

q

I've looked at those too and think its a great solution. I almost bought one several years ago, but I just used an old floor fan I had lying around and it seemed to do the trick. Nothing fancy, just keep the air moving under the cover. Since I got a new cover and new carpet this year, I think I may go ahead and get a new fan too :)

I forgot to ask you @Detonate, what kind of carpet did you get? Is it berber or cut pile? Mine is cut pile (same as original in 2006) but I kinda wish I tried the berber. I think they had berber in 2004-2005, switched to cut pile in 2006-2007 and then switched back in 2008 up? I haven't had a problem with my original carpet other than its matted down after 8 years and the edging is coming off from me pressure washing it :(

Last edited:
I bought model F1C-U3908-31-00

So whatever the hell that is...

During the off-season I just buy a couple things of Kitty Litter and take off the lid and but it in a couple of compartments. Really seems to help.

But I like the heater/fan idea better.

Intersting information. I have berber carpet and keep the boat in a covered slip. During the summer because we go out pretty often I don't put the cover on the boat. We just hop in and go. It sounds like that is keeping the carpets from getting mildewed. When I prep her for winter she is compltely dry and I put the cover on her. I also put some of the moisture rid in the boat under the cover since there is so much water around anyway. So far absolutly no issues. I just got her ready last weekend and the carpet looked great and there was no smell. I don't see any wear on the carpet yet. We have ony had one spot (kids) that I had to use carpet cleaner on. Other than that I just used water to clean up any spills. I did add the a piece of the hydro-turf (is that the Yamaha stuff?) on the step over and never use the cusion there. I have one small cut on the swim platform which only I notice. Since that is the most popular spot for everyone and the spot that gets the mpst sun and water I thought that was pretty good. I had a cat (or something) sneak up under the cover briefly over the winter (I check on her and take her out during the winter as well) so I am glad I didn't have cat litter! HA! Actually that is a good idea.

q

In bought one of those last year to use in the new boat for winter storage. It puts out gobbs of warm air!! I wouldn't hesitate on buying another - which I just might do. I also have 3 of these http://www.westmarine.com/west-marine--air-dryer-with-fan-dehumidifier--P007867518 I use them in the engine bays and cockpit. Over the years with my 230 the shipping cover seemed to keep the warm air in rather well. It was the same result this past winter with our new 240 as well - nice and toasty!

I'm in a slip and have the berber. I have not noticed a bad mildew odor. If the kids are real active and bringing water into the boat and the carpet gets wet, what I do is before I put the cover on I will unsnap a few sections of the main floor area and then slide a fender under the carpet. This get more airflow under the carpet. I will also unsnap the front pieces if they get overly wet and just take them home and hang in the garage with some hangers that have the pants clips. This seems to help.

Yikes!! I will stck with carpet. Thank you for posting this!

I'm in a slip and have the berber. I have not noticed a bad mildew odor. If the kids are real active and bringing water into the boat and the carpet gets wet, what I do is before I put the cover on I will unsnap a few sections of the main floor area and then slide a fender under the carpet. This get more airflow under the carpet. I will also unsnap the front pieces if they get overly wet and just take them home and hang in the garage with some hangers that have the pants clips. This seems to help.

Thanks posting this. I haven't noticed any bad odors with the carpet and I usually just leave it in place after boating, it drys under the cover while the boat is stored outdoors. Going forward I will probably prop the carpet to get it to dry faster. Maybe its a humidity thing, it is usually very dry heat in ncal but mold and mildew / odors have never been a problem for me and I'm grateful since I'm not ready to add more thing to do on my before and after boating lists.

These threads just make me think about more things I don't notice or pay attention too!!! I have had Yamaha boats since 07, currently in my second one and have not had stinky carpet issues (at least that I'm aware of).....

The question now is "am I the stinky boat guy?"

Before I start buying air dryers, I'm going to grill my frequent boat passengers and give the boat a "good sniff test (with limits)" to determine what actions to take...

I do take the carpet out at end of season every year and remove and scrub/clean 3-4 times max during season. We have A LOT of humidity in S. Tx (and I'm no mold expert) but as hot as it gets the carpet dries super fast. I maintain a strict no shoe policy, so I may have to load up on some socks for my passengers with "toejam"--LOL​

Wow, that is surprising.

I was the 2nd Yamaha to install the Seadek when it first came out. I have the "grey over black" cockpit kit, and the "faux teak" kit on the swimdeck. After five years in the Florida sun, I have not had any issues with shrinkage. It is actually holding up really well. The only thing that has happened to mine is that a small area in the bow (where that magnifying/reflecting thing happens with the curved area) the top of the mat has become smooth and lost the texture in a small area. To this day, the seadek is still my favorite upgrade.

My boat lives uncovered under an aluminum carport on the side of the house when not in use. How do you store yours? Are the mats exposed to direct sun 24/7?

Trying to figure out what the difference was to make sure I don't do it.

Pics. As requested

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 108
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 104
Oh that's fugly! What have you tried? 3M Adhesive remover? Acetone? Lift-off/Goof-off?

You just helped me make up mind once and for all. I was trying to sell my wife on installing it in the cockpit, she prefers carpet. Now I will stop trying to sell her on it and stick with the carpet and keep my mouth shut! :winkingthumbsup"
@Glassman: Loved the "words of wisdom" ... "KEEP MY MOUTH SHUT" .. which is exactly why I am "in trouble" most of the time over the past 45 years. LOL !

Anyways, for wut it's worth, and apparently not a lot (tired to sell my opinions once and g
ot
black-balled) ............. LOL ! - We LOVE our carpeting ! 'Nuff said.
Best Wishes, Mikey Lulejian - On The Carpet on beautiful Lake Oconee, GA

I am looking at adding the Seadek to my boat soon but this is making me second guess that decision. I will probably upgrade my boat in approx. 3 yrs just because that has been my history but I don't want to have these mats breakdown by then. I'm kinda OCD about my stuff so I don't want to add something that is just going to give me more imperfections to stare at..:) Have there been any advancements made in the Seadek product recently? Does anybody have the Faux teak titanium mats? Do they mare easily? I have allot of gear at times, coolers (only softsided, hard cooler have been ban for scratching the cockpit gel..another OCD thing :) ), scuba gear, tents, fishing buckets, etc. Not to mention a 4 yr old walking tornado. I don't want to worry about these items scratching or cutting the mats. I understand that anything can be destroyed but just want to know that it can keep up with normal wear and tear.

I'm in Florida but I keep it in my garage so I assumed it would last. I'm nervous that putting in these mats might cause me more pain than joy down the road. Any other advice/direction from those with the Seadek faux teak product would be helpful. Thank you!

The seadek mats are rubber, so the only thing to watch for are any chemicals that would not be friendly to rubber, and ANYTHING WITH SHARP EDGES.

Mine are 5 yrars old now and they are holding up just fine. I take care of my boat, but I am not anal. We use and enjoy the boat. Shoes are often worn in the boat, and once a year I make at least three trips to ferry Boy Scouts with all their camping gear out to Stiltsville. So far, I just have a little scuff at the back edge of the swim deck pad (not even sure how or when it happened).

If you are ever in Miami, feel free to contact me and you can see how mine is holding up.

I am looking at adding the Seadek to my boat soon but this is making me second guess that decision. I will probably upgrade my boat in approx. 3 yrs just because that has been my history but I don't want to have these mats breakdown by then. I'm kinda OCD about my stuff so I don't want to add something that is just going to give me more imperfections to stare at..:) Have there been any advancements made in the Seadek product recently? Does anybody have the Faux teak titanium mats? Do they mare easily? I have allot of gear at times, coolers (only softsided, hard cooler have been ban for scratching the cockpit gel..another OCD thing :) ), scuba gear, tents, fishing buckets, etc. Not to mention a 4 yr old walking tornado. I don't want to worry about these items scratching or cutting the mats. I understand that anything can be destroyed but just want to know that it can keep up with normal wear and tear.

I'm in Florida but I keep it in my garage so I assumed it would last. I'm nervous that putting in these mats might cause me more pain than joy down the road. Any other advice/direction from those with the Seadek faux teak product would be helpful. Thank you!

Hello @Bacchus_fl I admit this topic made me take pause as well. I'm staying the course of going with Seadeck. My boat is garaged mon-fri, and gets light to moderate use on weekends. whether its the sun or chemical s causing the issue here I don't feel I have either threat.
The issue of peeling in the corners is a concern. I see that very slightly on '09 swim deck currently, in the corner, low traffic. Overall my BLACK swim deck has held up very well in the conditions I subject it to...5 years plus, but a low 110 hours

In a conversation with will I understand he has compensated for this by a slightly over sized mat, so the adhesion is to the smooth fiberglass and not the textured surfaces. Call Will, he put my concerns to rest.

I put seadek (snow camo) in my boat this summer and absolutely love it. It is my second best mod right behind perfect pass. I garage my boat so I expect this stuff to last a really really long time.

Back