• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SX 190 clicks but won't turn over

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
If saltwater got into the bearing, you'll probably need it replaced. The grease for that bearing housing is not to lubricate it the bearing, but to keep the water-proof seals from leaking. If the bearing housing didn't get greased, it may have ran dry and leaked saltwater into the bearing.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks. Should I try to go boating now that it runs? I would first renew my tow service :) Or is this a potential catastrophic damage situation? (no worry, I have an engineering degree (A mechanic degree would have been more useful) so I can guess what may happen if the bearing fails.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That sounds like it makes sense. How do you detect a rattle on the trailer do you mean out of the water? In order to turn the shaft manually to see if the problem is the liner seizing the impeller do I need to loosen the spark plugs first?
I decided to take the impeller and pump assembly apart as some videos suggest its not that difficult. I ran the engine on the trailer for a minute (no cooling) and the impeller got real hot suggesting it was rubbing the wear ring. The wear ring is definitely the issue, I couldn't even get the impeller out of the ring without a lot of force and there are high spots. Should I buy an OEM or stainless steel and where can I buy one?. There seems to be an issue that the Solas stainless version does not have threaded holes. Since I have the SX 190 (single engine) is the ring the same as on the AR?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The OEM pump rings were back ordered for about a year just recently. (I gave up and just reused my old ones, they were not too bad) Unsure if they actually made any. I would suggest ensuring whoever you buy from confirms it has the part IN STOCK. There are aftermarket parts with varied review rating. Good Luck!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I decided to take the impeller and pump assembly apart as some videos suggest its not that difficult. I ran the engine on the trailer for a minute (no cooling) and the impeller got real hot suggesting it was rubbing the wear ring. The wear ring is definitely the issue, I couldn't even get the impeller out of the ring without a lot of force and there are high spots. Should I buy an OEM or stainless steel and where can I buy one?. There seems to be an issue that the Solas stainless version does not have threaded holes. Since I have the SX 190 (single engine) is the ring the same as on the AR?
@Cobra Jet Steering LLC has done some creative things to "recover" and reuse swollen pump housings. I'm pretty sure I recall photos of him drilling them out and eliminating high spots....but it might be been someone else???

Do you see any bulges in the wear rings? Photos of it would help!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am going ahead and replacing the wear ring. My question: I have the 2015 SX 190 (single engine). Are the components the same as on the dual engine? In Google and eBay, Bayareapowersports.com pops up as selling a stainless steel ring, but it's not 100% clear to me if this is the right one.This is the link: Yamaha Solid Stainless Wear Ring Pump Housing 6ET-51312-00-00 FX FZR FZS AR SX
Any one know if this is the right one?

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Bayareapowersports says that one doesn't fit but this one does which has a plastic replaceable wear ring.
On this link it does list my boat SX 190 2012-2019. Any feedback? The picture for each item look pretty much the same to me so I have to go what they tell me.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
That is what I change over to and thus the dissimilar metal corrosion issue is no more and the clanging is no more, I love how they work . Now Just for clarification I get my parts from sbtontheweb.com and those are the only ones I have experience with.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That is what I change over to and thus the dissimilar metal corrosion issue is no more and the clanging is no more, I love how they work . Now Just for clarification I get my parts from sbtontheweb.com and those are the only ones I have experience with.
Thanks. How about the two little metal sleeves? Mine are stuck. Can I hammer them out as someone else suggested?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Do you mean the alignment pins that hold the parts in place

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
not sure I follow you but I have done many and never had to do anything but grab it with some vice grips and tap them tp get them out

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Installled the one from Bayareapowersports and the boat is ready to go . :) Will it ever need replacing?
One other question, my aftermarket steering plates (rudder) are a little bend and I have to straighten them out. Sometimes I beach my boat and with a big wave passing the boat has landed on the rudder plenty of times, probably hitting the rudder sideways. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have been out twice now. The engine is much quieter with the plastic wear ring. Even quieter than when I first had the boat new. When the boat was new I thought that the engine was excessively noisy. Now I can talk and be heard!

Marsh Rider

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My 2015 SX190 has been great in the two years I have had it. But it won't start now.
It goes "Err, Err, Err; Thump" in about 2 seconds. Then nothing.
The alarm on the dash says Batt Voltage but the battery is new.
After reading a few of your comments, should I start with the battery switch?

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My suggestion is to look in the tunnel and see if the impeller (screw) has been scraping the wear-ring. You will see black spots on the wear-ring.
Make sure to disconnect the battery before you do that. I checked a lot of things as you can see from the thread. But eventually the suggestions that the wear-ring had rusted (even though it is stainless) were correct.

Rguerra95

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My 2015 SX 190 makes a single click sound but won't crank. Ran fine a month ago. Put in a new battery. I am considering replacing the starter but it seems to be hidden under the exhaust (on the right side in this picture looking back or port side). Anyone have any idea if it is the starter? If I have to replace it I am certain that I would need to remove the exhaust manifold first. When I try to start, besides the single click sound the engine does jerk a fraction. I made a video recording of what
happens, but I guess I can't post a video.
View attachment 144256
I just went through the same thing of my boat just clicking once and not turning over. After looking over everything, it turned out to be my battery disconnect switch that failed. When i turned the key, the positive wire from the battery to the switch was getting really hot , so i could tell there was a bunch of resistance. I cute the wire and wire straight to the battery and it fired right up. I hope this helps someone in the future. CHECK THAT BATTERY SWITCH !