• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SX 192 Mods

Eurocat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah I removed the flame arrestor ribbon. That was my first mod. It got me to 49 mph from a previous high of 47 mph. That is when I realized how much performance dropped off as the engine got hot. I would drive a half a mile with a big smile on my face then look down and I'm down to 7200 rpm and 42mph.
Guess I got to get to that then. Yeah, the better the air flow the more the temp will plain a roll.

Regarding the additional water to the intercooler, are there any water hoses that can be tapped in the engine bay rather than at the jet?

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
No other way to get more coolant flow. I think the engine cooling is really touchy and can cause major problems if upgraded incorrectly. Search GIO (gas in oil).

I put my 3" cold air intake back on today. Definitely makes a big difference. 90 degree air and 85 degree water with the engine hot, I hit 48 mph with 3/4 tank gas 2 adults, 3 kids and the Bimini up.

I've been testing different gas, and it seems like 87 octane with 10% ethanol runs just as good as 93 non ethanol. Big savings to be had there. I know Yamaha calls for 87 but a lot of people have a hard time believing that with a supercharged engine. I had to see for myself.

skbishop90

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Are there custom tunes for these engines available?

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I don't think anyone has tried an ecu flash yet. My wife had forbidden me to try it. I'll probably do it anyway though. R&D can flash it, or Riva and Motech sell standalone ecu.

skbishop90

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Flashes are good to fine tune the specifics you have done to the engine. Same on a vehicle. Im sure you know, sounds like you've done things to your truck. A custom dyno tune is always best. Plus the cost of a standalone ECU is ridiculous for just a few mods.

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I've tuned my 1992 cummins truck, but its a mechanical injection diesel. The tuner is a flathead screwdriver and 13mm wrench. The Waverunner guys are running the flashed ECUs. I just don't think anyone has done it on our boats yet.

Last edited:

skbishop90

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Whats really the main difference? Is there one?

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Same exact engine. I guess what's holding me back is no one knows how much it will help on these boats. Hate to void warranty and drop $700 on 1-2 mph.

skbishop90

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
RIVA does a lot on the Skis but does anyone make kits for stuff on the boats? Obviously the engine stuff would mostly be the same but the CAI would definitely be different. Other parts too. I can see the air box being restrictive. I want to do that and the spark arrestor ASAP. I need more power through the turns when Im pulling someone. That is my MAIN CONCERN. I was very disappointed with the boat after having 5 adults on the boat trying to pull one tube. Wide open at 100% throttle, I didnt have enough power to really throw the tube around like I and the passenger wanted. If a couple mods will keep me from spending $10-15K more for a 21ft, I'll at least try it.

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Keep people out of the bow whenever possible. I'm 1-2 mph slower with 2 kids (110lbs) in the bow.

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
O.k....I'm looking for the opposite. Anyone offer a tune to install a ECO/PWR switch?...or flash to get some fuel mileage back?
Not sure if any of you have followed my trip this week to Bimini...but these thinks BURN FUEL.
I would love an option to trade off power for economy

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I know what you mean. I stay in a very small area of my local lake, or it would be a problem for me as well. I drove more than normal yesterday. We drove 40 miles burning 15 gallons. That includes some full throttle runs.

Here is a thread about ECU flashes and fuel usage. Looks like its a big improvement. http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=168139

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok..just looked at all 4 pages. Lotta chatter and speculation...many bolted on parts.

Sorry, but I'm still new to the jet boat/ski world.

Who should I contact (how many different companies) for a flash or spare ECU to address fuel usage?..I'm not worried about holeshot, top end...etc.

Thanks !

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length

Irvs

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
O.k....I'm looking for the opposite. Anyone offer a tune to install a ECO/PWR switch?...or flash to get some fuel mileage back?
Not sure if any of you have followed my trip this week to Bimini...but these thinks BURN FUEL.
I would love an option to trade off power for economy
Where do we 'follow your trip'? Link....please... :)

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Not sure it will fit the boats. I've heard a lot of people don't like it on the skis. Much louder than stock with a bad drone at lower rpm.

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
New high of 51 mph today. An AR192 pulled up beside me and we ran in some pretty rough chop. Once I had 10 boat lengths on him, he turned around and headed for the boat ramp.

At the end of the day, I sucked some trash into the pump. It came right out as I throttled up, but somehow it shook my intercooler coolant line loose on the pump. With no coolant to the intercooler I was running 7100 rpms and 41 mph max. After I noticed the problem, we cruised to the ramp at 20 mph and called it a day. I'm using automotive heater hose for the intercooler lines. I might need to find something better.

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
My ar192 runs at about 7000 rpm and 40 mph when hot. Gotta try your mod.