• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SX192 RPM Opinion

Tom V

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When you guys take the plunge and change yours out, any of us that have done it will certainly answer any questions you all have, its an easy task and fun.

Dieselmore

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When you guys take the plunge and change yours out, any of us that have done it will certainly answer any questions you all have, its an easy task and fun.
From all the reading I've done, it looks like intercooler, cooling system upgrade and spark arrestor removal are kinda like a package deal.

Did you do all three? What brand intercooler did you use?

@Tom V If I could get my boat to perform like yours that would be AMAZING! We also don't have much of a altitude problem either 1500-1600 ft elevation.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We also don't have much of a altitude problem either 1500-1600 ft elevation.
Intercooler upgrade is the key, no doubt. This should be a warranty fix if you ask me.
But, I believe at 1,500ft (w/ 100+ deg temps) you do have an altitude issue. Use one of the density altitude calculators to compare FL conditions with where you boat, you may be surprised.

--

Tom V

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
From all the reading I've done, it looks like intercooler, cooling system upgrade and spark arrestor removal are kinda like a package deal.

Did you do all three? What brand intercooler did you use?

@Tom V If I could get my boat to perform like yours that would be AMAZING! We also don't have much of a altitude problem either 1500-1600 ft elevation.
I did do the ribbon delete along with installing the Frozen boost brand intercooler along with taping the pump housing strainer plate for the stand alone cooling feed line to the intercooler and these 3 things will make you 192 run like mine. The frozen boost cooler is the type 14 model.

Tom V

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Intercooler upgrade is the key, no doubt. This should be a warranty fix if you ask me.
But, I believe at 1,500ft (w/ 100+ deg temps) you do have an altitude issue. Use one of the density altitude calculators to compare FL conditions with where you boat, you may be surprised.

--
Yes your right the SVHO intercooler will do the job, it should have been installed from the factory on the 192 models. This is an expensive intercooler from the yamaha parts department so thats why most of us have gone the Frozen boost way. Frozen boost type 14 is about $150 plus about $100 in elbows and pipe plus clamps. You can do the whole job for $500 bucks complete.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Tom V what is your position on factory air filters? I know those are probably not a major factor.
And thank you for sharing your experience and resources!

--

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You guys are having the same issue we all have run into. Heat soaking is the problem and the only resolution is a larger intercooler as you probably have read on our other posts. Running with or without the air filter makes little to no difference, possibly helps on excelleration a little bit but hard to say, the boat will run properly and have enough torque to keep you and the entire family with coolers and other crap loaded on board at minimum of 47 mph all day long. You will hit and maintain roughly 50 mph with 2 adults and a cooler (boat loaded lightly) no problem all day.

Before I completed the mods on my 192 I went to the Keys with my wife and 8 yr old son to do some diving, a full cooler, 2 steal 95 cubic ft dive tanks and our gear, full tank of fuel and a few other misc item and the best the 192 would run was 37 mph wide open, this is what made my mind up on changing out the intercooler and a few other items. The boat now runs at least 47 mph with more gear in it. My Son and my self with a full tank of fuel and loaded cooler can hit 50, sometimes 51 mph and maintain this speed in the 96 degree temps and water temp of 90 any time now. Hope this helps, there is hope for your boats 7600 + should be your max expected rpms.
Do you also have the ribbon delete? If so did you do the intercooler upgrade at the same time you removed the ribbon? I'm trying to determine if removing the spark arrestor is need as I'd rather not take apart all that if I can get the same performance you got. Sounds like exactly all I'm asking for this boat is perform like yours does now.

I read over my warranty details the other night and it doesn't necessarily frown upon installing mods, so long as those mods don't directly correlate to being the root cause of any warranty claim. I mean it's an intercooler so I don't see how it could possibly hurt anything as we're increasing efficiency of the motor. Worst case we could always unbolt the upgraded intercooler and install the factory one if we needed to bring it to the dealer. I signed up on green hulk but I have to wait 25 posts and 2 weeks before I can create a WTB thread in their classifieds section as I'm looking for a used SVHO intercooler. Is this the Frozen boost Type 14 you have? http://www.frozenboost.com/air_water-ic/water-to-air-intercoolers-p-214.html

Dieselmore

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think I'll go the frozen boost way as I probably have most the fittings, hose, and clamps at my shop.

Does any one know if the riva high flow strainer for a sho fit the 192? Or does anyone recommend any other high flow strainer?

REM835

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
The factory new svho intercooler is not cheap. If you can pick up a good used one from someone is it a simple swap or is there any rerouteing to be done? I agree this should have come like this. Wishful thinking, but maybe we would have more of a leg to stand on as far as warranty once the 17's come out if they make some change.

Tom V

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Tom V what is your position on factory air filters? I know those are probably not a major factor.
And thank you for sharing your experience and resources!

--
I think the filter would work better if it had been placed closer to a cooler air source, its hard to say how restrictive it really is, I removed mine altogether.

Tom V

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you also have the ribbon delete? If so did you do the intercooler upgrade at the same time you removed the ribbon? I'm trying to determine if removing the spark arrestor is need as I'd rather not take apart all that if I can get the same performance you got. Sounds like exactly all I'm asking for this boat is perform like yours does now.

I read over my warranty details the other night and it doesn't necessarily frown upon installing mods, so long as those mods don't directly correlate to being the root cause of any warranty claim. I mean it's an intercooler so I don't see how it could possibly hurt anything as we're increasing efficiency of the motor. Worst case we could always unbolt the upgraded intercooler and install the factory one if we needed to bring it to the dealer. I signed up on green hulk but I have to wait 25 posts and 2 weeks before I can create a WTB thread in their classifieds section as I'm looking for a used SVHO intercooler. Is this the Frozen boost Type 14 you have? http://www.frozenboost.com/air_water-ic/water-to-air-intercoolers-p-214.html
Yep, thats the one. I did the ribbon delete the same time as the intercooler, I think it helps out of the hole but top speed would most likely be the same with or without. I think its worth doing it. The ribbon delete isn't to difficult, there is plenty of room to get to everything.

Tom V

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think I'll go the frozen boost way as I probably have most the fittings, hose, and clamps at my shop.

Does any one know if the riva high flow strainer for a sho fit the 192? Or does anyone recommend any other high flow strainer?
Yes it will fit no problem, I machined the center of my plate to eliminate the x pattern then taped a brass elbow into it.IMG_1282.JPG

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What is the block that you guys are tapping into? Is that what is basically the backside of the coolant strainer system you can see from the inside of the jet nozzle? Does that line go back to the intercooler or something? Did you have to use a thru hull hitting or something for the other end of the hose/fitting? You mention some x pattern has to be machine so I'm guessing you're talking about the inside of the block piece you removed to tap for the fitting? I guess I'll understand it more once I take it off.

Tom V

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The factory new svho intercooler is not cheap. If you can pick up a good used one from someone is it a simple swap or is there any rerouteing to be done? I agree this should have come like this. Wishful thinking, but maybe we would have more of a leg to stand on as far as warranty once the 17's come out if they make some change.
It would be a direct swap but you would add an extra water pisser to the side of the boat next to the other 2. 1 of the reasons the pump strainer plate is taped for the extra water supply is so the new intercooler has its own water supply and not having to share the same water supply line that feeds the engine cooling( like the stock set up). The jet pump forces tons of water into that strainer area so you would never have to worry about taking cooling water from the engine.

Tom V

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What is the block that you guys are tapping into? Is that what is basically the backside of the coolant strainer system you can see from the inside of the jet nozzle? Does that line go back to the intercooler or something? Did you have to use a thru hull hitting or something for the other end of the hose/fitting? You mention some x pattern has to be machine so I'm guessing you're talking about the inside of the block piece you removed to tap for the fitting? I guess I'll understand it more once I take it off.
Yes, the x is the casting on the out side of the plate held on by 4 bolts, you have to machine it flat to make taping the brass fitting eaiser. Or purchase the Riva racing performance cooling kit. The line goes thru the hull via. thru hull fitting and directly to the intercooler

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes, the x is the casting on the out side of the plate held on by 4 bolts, you have to machine it flat to make taping the brass fitting eaiser. Or purchase the Riva racing performance cooling kit. The line goes thru the hull via. thru hull fitting and directly to the intercooler
Ok I just went out to my boat to have a look and I see the x pattern on the block that would need to be machined. I think I'd rather just buy the RIVA kit though in case I need to return it to stock for whatever reason. I didn't realize we would need to drill into the hull for the thru hull fitting, I will need to prepare myself mentally for doing that on my brand new boat haha. Do you have a part number for the RIVA strainer kit?

Tom V

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok I just went out to my boat to have a look and I see the x pattern on the block that would need to be machined. I think I'd rather just buy the RIVA kit though in case I need to return it to stock for whatever reason. I didn't realize we would need to drill into the hull for the thru hull fitting, I will need to prepare myself mentally for doing that on my brand new boat haha. Do you have a part number for the RIVA strainer kit?
Sorry I don't , Green Hulk should have the kit listed. I know it sucks to drill holes in new fiberglass but in the end you will be glad you did it.

Thomas DePriest

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Guys,
I hope you don't mind cutting in but I really want to add a little more pulling power to my AR 192. It seems from reading this and other posts the best thing to do would be to get your hands on an SVHO intercooler. However, it seems like every yamaha jet boat owner in the world is looking for the same thing. I would not mind buying the type 14 intercooler but have no idea about what else to buy in order to install. I think I would be willing to pay someone some money to put one of these together so it is pretty much a direct bolt-on. It is kind of frustrating to want to put this together and not know all of the parts I will probably need. Think back to those home improvement shows where the home owners do a "weekend" renovation that actually takes them four weeks, well that would be me trying to install the intercooler.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Guys,
I hope you don't mind cutting in but I really want to add a little more pulling power to my AR 192. It seems from reading this and other posts the best thing to do would be to get your hands on an SVHO intercooler. However, it seems like every yamaha jet boat owner in the world is looking for the same thing. I would not mind buying the type 14 intercooler but have no idea about what else to buy in order to install. I think I would be willing to pay someone some money to put one of these together so it is pretty much a direct bolt-on. It is kind of frustrating to want to put this together and not know all of the parts I will probably need. Think back to those home improvement shows where the home owners do a "weekend" renovation that actually takes them four weeks, well that would be me trying to install the intercooler.
Welcome to the forum. This thread has a parts breakdown of what all you need https://jetboaters.net/threads/sx-192-mods.6550/