• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SX195 use in Gulf

Waterpusher

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I’m close to the purchase of the sx195 and plan to use it along the coast in the Sarasota area and reading on other forums that these boats are not good in chop and generally just a toy that nobody keeps for long. The ability to store it in my garage is a big factor but does it outweigh the ride quality and ability to handle chop?

I make a special super steering unit with a plaining surface added to the nozzle, Along with the spring loaded adjustable fins on the side of the nozzle. It is called the super ultimate ak-19 deluxe and it will give you steering control in most conditions as well as a smoother ride in chop and steering control even if you are rapidly decelerating so you will be able to take waves sideways and relax when out in waves.

Attachments

• super ultimate ak-19 deluxe showing the cut out on the fin for the side thrust created by the ...jpg
    super ultimate ak-19 deluxe showing the cut out on the fin for the side thrust created by the ...jpg
    623.2 KB · Views: 4
Any links to the product and user reviews?

Aren't all boats just toys unless it is a dedicated commercial fishing vessel. You can't find a better 19 foot boat for the price of these, of course due to size and weight its not going to be great in chop.

I would not say any of the Yamaha boats are really 'good' in chop. They are all planing hulls, so they ride on top of the water (versus a displacement hull that sits in the water--like a canoe). And, as mentioned, the 19 ft are light and short. So there you go.

I would chalk any short term ownership more up to 2-foot-itis. When people get a boat they generally get one that is too small and upgrade in a year or two when they figure out they can't fit all of their friend on it or can't do what they wanted because it is too short. Not just something that happens with Yamahas...

There are a number of members here who run in the Gulf regularly over in your neck of the woods. You would need to choose your days and watch the weather, of course. And I wouldn't be going far into the Gulf in a 19 ft. And, of course, if you do that, you will get better at piloting it in all types of seas.

Hope that helps some.

I spent many years going out to the end of Egmont channel in a 19 foot boat with just a compass and a Lowrance to get back in storms. Not always fun but doable. Today they have G P S that was not available back then . If you pay attention to the weather and you know what you are doing you should be ok but also be careful.

Thanks for your replies. We’ll be staying close to shore and will always check conditions before going out. I just don’t want to buy something that’s going to not be pleasurable in the local waters. The rudder will be a consideration after testing it out a few times. BTW There is a nice 2018 21’ for sale for similar money that is interesting except it won’t fit in the garage and I do not want to leave it outside in the Florida sun as the paint be washed out in no time.

Stay within 5 miles and you will be fine just remember the wind usually picks up in the afternoon I went out 16 miles to 100 feet of water, but then I also drive jet skies standing on the seat with my hands in the air towing 5 people behind me in tubes , I also went out at night a lot until I was nearly run over by a tanker. Egmont is busy all the time.

If you stay in the ICW you will be fine even on windier days.

If in the gulf, stay close to the shore. East winds will be your friend for going offshore.

And yes the Cobra steering is great.

@Waterpusher have you seen Scott's videos and his adventures on his SX190? @HawaiiBreeze takes on the chop like it's not even there.

Here's another Florida website, two women with an AR190 and their boating adventures. I don't believe they are forum members.

Jim

It’s doable but don’t expect it to a silky smooth ride or anything. As mentioned these boats ride on top of the water and are relatively lighter than a boat with a big outboard or I/O. I would say the ride will be sporty and bouncy when you’re on the throttle especially with a little wind but the boat can handle it. Just a matter of how much the driver and passengers want to deal with. You can of course slow down and take things easier but just know the bow is a little low slung so it’s best to keep it with right boat attitude angle so you don’t dip the bow on bigger wave days. The interval of waves has a lot to do with how comfortable the waves would be.

I have some videos on my channel when I would take my 192 to the Gulf. Granted it’s shorter and I think less wide than the newer 19’ boats so not quite apples to apples but probably close enough to give you an idea how the boat this size does on a no e and cent day on the Gulf.

I would offer that if you are worried about the chop, perhaps there is a better choice than the SX195. While it's definitely more money, my personal choice for offshore use (and still an open bow boat) would be a Robalo r207.

Jim

I was looking at a Robalo but it won’t fit in the garage and the HOA says no boats…

I guess if you are dead set of getting a 19' boat then go ahead and get the Yamaha, and pick you days to use it in the Gulf. The 195 probably isn't a great boat in the chop, but neither are most of the other 19' open bow boats. I don't know what you budget is, but storing a boat at home isn't your only option. A lot of folks who either can't keep boats at home or don't want to haul a boat back and forth to the water, end up dry stacking their boats. Other folks keep their trailerable boats at a storage lot and just bring them home for a couple of hours to clean and packed them up for their next adventure.

I probably wouldn't overthink it to much. The 19' Yamaha's are one of the most common boats on the market. Pretty easy to buy and sell, just don't get caught up in Covid pricing on these (or any boats). I would strongly suggest you sea trial a 190 or 195, if possible, to see if it would meet your needs. If not, consider a bigger boat with alternative storage.

Jim

Dry dock is $400 a month around here with a very long waiting list, so this isn’t a justifiable option for me. Trailering to a lot is a much cheaper option but the sun will kill it plus theft is a concern. My last boat was a 260SE Wellcraft and it would be nice to have a larger boat but it’s too much overhead and the logic of being able to keep a 19’ in my garage is a plus for me. If I could find covered storage I’d go with the 21’ no doubt as long as storage fees were reasonable.

Price for the SX195 is MSRP

There are dry storage areas around me for about $200 a month. Its not on the water but it’s covered and they include power, water and security.

There are dry storage areas around me for about $200 a month. Its not on the water but it’s covered and they include power, water and security.
South Sarasota?

Back