• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tampa Bay Scarab Owner Experiences

guppydriver

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I'm relocating to the Tampa Bay Area and seriously considering a Scarab 255 ID. I'm interested in current owners feedback on the ride quality with that boat in various conditions in these waters, including offshore. Also, any problems with jet clogging? Any other issues to be aware of here? Favorite spots? Pictures and sea stories welcome. Can't wait to get on the water!

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Hi and :Welcome: to the forum! Lots of great stuff here to help keep you safe and on the water.

Can't speak for the boat or the ride but you won't have issues with the BRP/Rotax engine nor its jet system. Been cruising the Bay for a couple years and only caught a stick once with this boat.

Favorite Spots we've been to (in the last year or 2): Downtown St. Pete, Frescos, The Big Catch, The Tiki Hut, The Grille and Raw Bar, AJ's on the River, Rivers' Edge, The Getaway, The Salt Shack, Hula Bay, Taste of Boston and The Wharf

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Sorry Tampa bay is full try Miami

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Thanks for the watering hole tips @Dean P . Hows the ride in the Chaparral? Do you spend much time offshore?
I think it rides pretty decent. I added trim tabs to help smoothen it out as the Bay can get rough. I hate banging and will adjust the speed and direction accordingly. Hec, just the other night, winds were at 15-17 mph and we're only doing 16-19 mph with 80% tabs. I don't go offshore (no reason too).

If you want to go for a ride PM me. I'll show you how she acts.

Paul Dufault

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 Open ID
Boat Length
After lots of research and almost buying a couple of other boats (27' concept, then a Glasstream 24') I was lucky to find a 2020 255 open ID ( I like to stand) with 32 hours on it. twin 200's. I've had it for two weeks and love it. I am south of Tampa. Venice/Englewood area. As you know everything is a trade-off. This has the same hull as the 255 ID. I ride 2-3 footers without an issue. The tailgate feature is great on the open ID.

Lots of places down this way. Let me know if you come south.

Stang7tl

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 Open ID
Boat Length
After lots of research and almost buying a couple of other boats (27' concept, then a Glasstream 24') I was lucky to find a 2020 255 open ID ( I like to stand) with 32 hours on it. twin 200's. I've had it for two weeks and love it. I am south of Tampa. Venice/Englewood area. As you know everything is a trade-off. This has the same hull as the 255 ID. I ride 2-3 footers without an issue. The tailgate feature is great on the open ID.

Lots of places down this way. Let me know if you come south.
I might be coming over to that area for a long weekend with my 195 open, where to go and how are the ramps?

Paul Dufault

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 Open ID
Boat Length
I might be coming over to that area for a long weekend with my 195 open, where to go and how are the ramps?
I have mine in a slip but I know from others that there are nice ramps all over. The 2 I am familiar with are in Venice by the old train station and the one I used once is off Manasota beach road just across the IC on Manasotas key. Many others around. Depends where you want to go. Englewood Beach area is a fun area. You could probably do an Airbnb with a slip in that area.

W255openID

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 Open ID
Boat Length
I've had my 2020 255 Open ID for a bit over a year and put 150 hours in on the Tampa waters. from downtown St. Pete to Anna Maria and everywhere in between and around. The only issues I've had would be when slow cruising through a big patch of floating sea grass/debris. you can feel it get sucked in and clogged (mainly coming home in the dark when I couldn't see it to avoid it). But a quick slow down - then reverse/engine shut off clears it quickly. When on plane, I have hit huge patches of sea grass etc. as it is sometimes un-avoidable, and the twin 300's just eat it up. I used to stress about it, but after 150hrs and Zero major issues, I don't worry anymore. I have never had a clog that didn't come out right away. I don't go off shore, but would worry with the smaller fuel capacity, range is not the best... Other than that, the boat has been great so far! I would buy another based on my experience and definitely not worried about clogging jets.