• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tap the "pissers" to fill ballast / run wash down?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Has anyone ever attempted to use the water pressure coming out of the pissers to fill ballast bags / run a wash down shower head? If those little outside outlets were a quick connect / disconnect, one could simply run the hose back into the boat and into a ballast bag while underway to their water sport spot. Subsequently, an idling boat would give you pressurized water for a shower head.

What would be the disadvantage or danger in doing this?

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Has anyone ever attempted to use the water pressure coming out of the pissers to fill ballast bags / run a wash down shower head? If those little outside outlets were a quick connect / disconnect, one could simply run the hose back into the boat and into a ballast bag while underway to their water sport spot. Subsequently, an idling boat would give you pressurized water for a shower head.

Interesting idea. Looking forward to seeing what comments come from it.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

RPM's would have to be pretty high on my boat to move enough water to fill a bag is the only thing that I can think of. Better off using something like the pump cannon I seen on the forum a couple weeks ago. Move a LOT of water in a hurry. On the plus side the water would be warm for a wash down.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
RPM's would have to be pretty high on my boat to move enough water to fill a bag is the only thing that I can think of. Better off using something like the pump cannon I seen on the forum a couple weeks ago. Move a LOT of water in a hurry. On the plus side the water would be warm for a wash down.
Right - well as I'm running out to my spot, my bags could be filling at whatever pressure 6000-7000rpm makes. What is this pump cannon? A quick search here didn't find anything.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Right - well as I'm running out to my spot, my bags could be filling at whatever pressure 6000-7000rpm makes. What is this pump cannon? A quick search here didn't find anything.
I can’t find it either but I believe @Julian made one of these jet water cannons. Maybe he’ll chime in

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It is pretty warm (to hot) water, probably not too warm to be a problem for the bag itself, but something to consider.
Also I would make sure there is some sort of valve that's easy to get to. Maybe a Y connector to switch from ballast to pisser when needed?
In the end it's probably easier to just plumb a new line to fill a bag.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
It is pretty warm (to hot) water, probably not too warm to be a problem for the bag itself, but something to consider.
Also I would make sure there is some sort of valve that's easy to get to. Maybe a Y connector to switch from ballast to pisser when needed?
I was thinking that you could have a quick disconnect on the outside of the boat. Then a quick connect on the hose, along with a relief valve on the boat side and an on/off valve on the inside. So, connect hose to bag, hit the throttle, then when it's full you can kill the water at the bag and the pressure valve allows the water to escape outside the boat again. I'm probably over engineering this.

Tayhadasuperjet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like the shower idea. I have a Tsunami pump for the ballast bags that moves and insane amount of water.

But the shower would be a nice feature.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Nope. The nozzles both have a nipple cast in, wave runners use them for the “rooster tail” thing. The port side is plugged with a bolt, the starboard side has a hose going to the wash down. That’s where it gets it’s pressure.

Edit: I believe ALL nozzles have this nipple, just usually plugged in the other boats.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nope. The nozzles both have a nipple cast in, wave runners use them for the “rooster tail” thing. The port side is plugged with a bolt, the starboard side has a hose going to the wash down. That’s where it gets it’s pressure.

Edit: I believe ALL nozzles have this nipple, just usually plugged in the other boats.
Thanks for the clarification.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length

@anmut .....I would say no to using the three "pissers". I would not want to impede the flow of water, in any way, out of those discharge ports for fear that would create back pressure and cause water to flood the engine. Not sure about using the nozzle "nipple".

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@anmut .....I would say no to using the three "pissers". I would not want to impede the flow of water, in any way, out of those discharge ports for fear that would create back pressure and cause water to flood the engine. Not sure about using the nozzle "nipple".
I don't think pressure is a huge issue here, flow certainly is though.

There is a thread around here somewhere where a member measured the water pressure on the feed side of the cooling system under normal operating conditions. I want to say he saw a high of around 30psi, but I'm not for certain. Let me go find that thread (I should really bookmark it).

Sorry.....High of 28psi

I have a pressure gage to mount on my boat. Just need to get the fittings and some longer lines. I intend to get the same readings at some point.

I would expect it's better to tap the port that @Dixie Highway mentions above, rather than monkey with the cooling system. We 100% have enough pressure coming from the pump, just need to direct it where we want, and not out the back. I suspect.......Cost and complexity will be on par with simply adding a giant Jabsco pump and a Thru Hull Fitting.

This post has a good shot of a brass thru-hull, and some pump setups. I think a Thru-Hull under the water line, then a giant pump on a pressure switch led to a 3-way valve to divert to ballast, or to wash down would be easy enough, and not require the engines to be running and avoiding the issues with the boat moving around while filling, etc.....***edit*** CHeck this post for thru hull locations https://jetboaters.net/threads/installing-a-raw-water-wash-down.17143/#post-295985

Last edited:

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I had no idea just how hot that water was coming out of there. Buddy last week had his legs hanging down off his dock in case he needed to push us away and the cooling ports came over his feet and he screamed. I was like WTF he said "holy shit that's hot, damn near burned my feet". His feet were bright red from the water coming over his feet for just a few seconds. Crazy! I don't remember my old boat being that hot. Maybe the 1.8's just run hotter than the old MR1s.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had no idea just how hot that water was coming out of there. Buddy last week had his legs hanging down off his dock in case he needed to push us away and the cooling ports came over his feet and he screamed. I was like WTF he said "holy shit that's hot, damn near burned my feet". His feet were bright red from the water coming over his feet for just a few seconds. Crazy! I don't remember my old boat being that hot. Maybe the 1.8's just run hotter than the old MR1s.
The water temperature is going to vary with engine temp. Depending on the indicator it could be luke warm, or scalding hot. There is no practical way this water can be used regardless of temperature.

TOGA

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

It would take forever to fill ballast with the small amount of volume that comes out of the passers. I also do not think there is enough pressure to fill a bag if you were willing to spend eternity letting them do it. If a dirt dobber can stop up a hole that the pressure won't clean out, I doubt it will push the weight of a bag to fill.

I use Tsunami pumps to fill bags fast. They are essentially bilge pumps on a hose with quick connectors. I use two pumps to fill multiple bags a one time. Throw them overboard to fill and attach to bag to drain.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
It would take forever to fill ballast with the small amount of volume that comes out of the passers. I also do not think there is enough pressure to fill a bag if you were willing to spend eternity letting them do it. If a dirt dobber can stop up a hole that the pressure won't clean out, I doubt it will push the weight of a bag to fill.

I use Tsunami pumps to fill bags fast. They are essentially bilge pumps on a hose with quick connectors. I use two pumps to fill multiple bags a one time. Throw them overboard to fill and attach to bag to drain.
I've got two of those same pumps, they work great. The curl of the hose is annoying because you need to sink it deep enough that the pump stays under water...

TOGA

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've got two of those same pumps, they work great. The curl of the hose is annoying because you need to sink it deep enough that the pump stays under water...
you can buy more hose at a longer length and it makes it easier to keep it under.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
you can buy more hose at a longer length and it makes it easier to keep it under.
Can you put hose on the end of the pump and still have it prime or does the pump need water near it?