• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Warm water from Bilge.....on the water need some help.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, took some time this afternoon and tried everything I could think of to increase the pressure in the system.

Pulled the line off the feed from the jet pump to prevent backflow out of the pump. That backflow is excessive IMO. I'm considering adding a tow valve just for flushing because of this.

That didn't reveal the leak.

Then I left that line blocked and started squeezing off the pisser line to increase pressure. Used a pair of vice grips to neck down that outlet. No dice, still no leak from anywhere obvious. There remains only a few places that it can be leaking from.

Went to the hardware store and got a mechanics mirror and some ear muffs. Going to take it out on Sunday and just give it a try. I can't simulate enough load in the driveway to find it.

I did notice that the water comes out of the boat in 3 places while on the hose. Exhaust, pisser, and another fitting on the transom. I traced this transom fitting back to plastic fitting on the rear of the cylinder head. It had SIGNIFICANTLY hotter water coming from it than from the exhaust. The exhaust water was relatively cool at idle, but the other water was scalding hot........the water in the boat two weeks ago was scalding hot as well. I'm suspecting a leak from downstream in the cooling system at this point and NOT the exhaust.

Oh yea.....bilge pump is dead. Have a new one to put in before we go out again, that way at least I can get the water back out of the boat this time.

More details as I figure them out.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Well, took some time this afternoon and tried everything I could think of to increase the pressure in the system.

Pulled the line off the feed from the jet pump to prevent backflow out of the pump. That backflow is excessive IMO. I'm considering adding a tow valve just for flushing because of this.

Then I left that line blocked and started squeezing off the pisser line to increase pressure. Used a pair of vice grips to neck down that outlet. No dice, still no leak from anywhere obvious. There remains only a few places that it can be leaking from.

Went to the hardware store and got a mechanics mirror and some ear muffs. Going to take it out on Sunday and just give it a try. I can't simulate enough load in the driveway to find it.

I did notice that the water comes out of the boat in 3 places while on the hose. Exhaust, pisser, and another fitting on the transom. I traced this transom fitting back to plastic fitting on the rear of the cylinder head. It had SIGNIFICANTLY hotter water coming from it than from the exhaust. The exhaust water was relatively cool at idle, but the other water was scalding hot........the water in the boat two weeks ago was scalding hot as well. I'm suspecting a leak from downstream in the cooling system at this point and NOT the exhaust.

Oh yea.....bilge pump is dead. Have a new one to put in before we go out again, that way at least I can get the water back out of the boat this time.

You can also use newer phones that are water resistant to record video to hunt for leaks.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

T-stat?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It sure looks like a thermostat housing. Didn't think these engines had those. I'll take a pic here shortly.

It's a plastic housing that has two bolts on a flange attaching it to the rear of the cylinder head, and a right angle outlet to the hose. Hose runs through the rear bulkhead and out a fitting just above and to starboard of the jet pump.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did you have any overheats leading up to theses events?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you have any overheats leading up to theses events?
Nope. Never had an overheat alarm on this boat. In my mind, combined with the hot water, that puts the leak AFTER the engine has dumped it's heat into the cooling water. Only a few places for that to happen.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, had the boat out today. Tried to troubleshoot. Had ZERO luck on finding any new information.

Took the boat out with an almost empty tank and 2 adults. I can't load the boat enough in this configuration to make the leak appear. 7,650 RPM and 43mph and the bilge stayed perfectly dry. No leak.

Picked up a full tank of fuel, 2 more adults, 1 more kid, more coolers and a couple beach bags. On the way from the Marina to the cove it took on a little water. This was enough additional loading to get the leak to appear. Full throttle here got me 38mph and 7,600 rpm. Wasn't able to hook to GoPro up to see under there though, and we were ferrying people over to some friends so I didn't want to stop and set it up.

Pulled a tube later with 4 kids and 2 adults. This was enough load to get the leak as well.

It seems to only appear when I can get a REALLY good load on it. I have to be able to go WOT without reaching top speed. Like when pulling a tube, I can get it to rev to 7,400 or so, but only be travelling under 30mph. This leads me to think that it's spiking the pressure in the cooling system from the jet pumps high load.

I've checked all the mechanicals at this point and I can't find any damage to the boat. The oil looks and smells great, the bearings all have adequate grease as best I can tell......so this appears to be a nuisance water issue. So I'm going to continue to run it this way until I can get it figured out.

Next step is to plumb in a pressure sensor on the intake side of the cooling system and monitor those pressures. Once I have those recorded and understood, I've found a friend that has a pressure test stand for construction purposes. It's supposedly instrumented and valved to test pressure and flow for leak tests. I'm going to use that to simulate in the driveway at some point.

Lots of work to be done at this point. Gonna start designing the pressure monitoring system tomorrow. Will report back when I have more info.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Gauge, mount and fuses are here. Going to run to the hardware store for some double sided tape, a ball valve, some fittings, tubing, and clamps and see if I can't get this thing installed tonight.

Plan is to intercept the feed line when it crosses INTO the engine compartment. Put a valve, and Tee fitting before the branch from the flush port. This will serve as a tow shutoff valve, and a place to connect the pressure port for the new gauge. Hopefully keeping me OUT of the cleanout tray area. My arms are too large to fit into the tiny ports back there and reach that line, so putting the tow valve back there would be useless for me.

Will take pics and post progress as it comes along.

*EDIT*

Anyone know what size the hose is between the transom and the exhaust manifold on these boats? I think it's a 3/4in ID, but I'm not 100% certain. I know the bilge pump is 3/4in ID (after messing with it recently), and this hose looks similarly sized. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Gauge, mount and fuses are here. Going to run to the hardware store for some double sided tape, a ball valve, some fittings, tubing, and clamps and see if I can't get this thing installed tonight.

Plan is to intercept the feed line when it crosses INTO the engine compartment. Put a valve, and Tee fitting before the branch from the flush port. This will serve as a tow shutoff valve, and a place to connect the pressure port for the new gauge. Hopefully keeping me OUT of the cleanout tray area. My arms are too large to fit into the tiny ports back there and reach that line, so putting the tow valve back there would be useless for me.

Will take pics and post progress as it comes along.
I put a big loop under the clean-out tray so the tow valves would be right at the top when I unscrewed the access lids. Didn't want to be reaching around a hot engine, I do that almost daily and getting tired of being burnt.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I put a big loop under the clean-out tray so the tow valves would be right at the top when I unscrewed the access lids. Didn't want to be reaching around a hot engine, I do that almost daily and getting tired of being burnt.
Any issue with coolant flow through the extra hose? Any issues with freezing in the system over the winter?

What size what that line?

I'm full of questions. :D

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well....not going to get the gauge installed today. Too much other stuff in the way in terms of scheduling to get it done before I leave. Might take supplies with me, might just leave it be for the weekend.

I did test fit the GoPro and light in the clean out hatch. That's not going to work. GoPro has too wide of a view and I can't get it far enough away to see an entire hose. Even when shooting "across" the boat it just isn't going to work.

That leaves me with driving at speed with earmuffs and a life vest on to troubleshoot, or with collecting data and attempting to recreate in the driveway. I don't like either answer at this point honestly, but I'm unsure how else I'm ever going to track this down.

If I didn't want to sleep at night I would've traded/sold it by now.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Might as well get you 2021 order in. ;)

No issues that I'm aware of. I believe I used 5/8 hose but I'll check later today when I'm in the boat. Maybe get some pics for ya.

The valves are up high so I don't think that there are going to be any issues with freezing, they should self drain but time will tell.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Used 1/2” heater hose. Tubing, wakeboarding & running WOT at times & have had no issues. B5B0C073-B2E9-4744-8865-99A5FC7005B0.jpeg

MarcRob

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well....not going to get the gauge installed today. Too much other stuff in the way in terms of scheduling to get it done before I leave. Might take supplies with me, might just leave it be for the weekend.

I did test fit the GoPro and light in the clean out hatch. That's not going to work. GoPro has too wide of a view and I can't get it far enough away to see an entire hose. Even when shooting "across" the boat it just isn't going to work.

That leaves me with driving at speed with earmuffs and a life vest on to troubleshoot, or with collecting data and attempting to recreate in the driveway. I don't like either answer at this point honestly, but I'm unsure how else I'm ever going to track this down.

Did you find the source of your leak @2kwik4u ? Were you able to install the guage and pressure test it? I’ve read this thread and my leak sounds the same as this on my 2013 SX190

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you find the source of your leak @2kwik4u ? Were you able to install the guage and pressure test it? I’ve read this thread and my leak sounds the same as this on my 2013 SX190
I have NOT found the leak. I also haven't put the pressure gauge in place, or the tow valve I wanted to install at the same time.

I was on the water 3 days last weekend. Ran the boat WOT for WAY more than I have in the past (was a water taxi for the group since I had the fastest boat). Would consistently fill the bilge with about 45-50seconds of bilge pump time worth of water. (500gph @ 50 sec = 6.9 gal). Route was right at 4 miles with "mostly" WOT time. No wake zone at the beginning and end, and one in the middle to go under the bridge.

1597930002643.png

Each time, coming off plane at the end it would pump that 45-50 seconds of water out. We made one 12mile run at almost WOT (7k rpm), and it pumped for a little over a minute or so.

I checked the oil level and color 4 times over the weekend. It doesn't appear to be effecting the oil at all. So at this point I'm fairly positive it's coming from the exhaust side of the engine behind the rear bulkhead. No idea how/where/why it's doing it, but I've gotten to the point it's more of a nuisance than a real problem. Just check the bilge often to make sure the pump is working and away I go. I can't see it hurting anything mechanical at this point, so I'm just living with it.

At some point life will calm down and I'll have some spare time to tear into the boat to figure out WTF is going on.....I hope.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have NOT found the leak. I also haven't put the pressure gauge in place, or the tow valve I wanted to install at the same time.

I was on the water 3 days last weekend. Ran the boat WOT for WAY more than I have in the past (was a water taxi for the group since I had the fastest boat). Would consistently fill the bilge with about 45-50seconds of bilge pump time worth of water. (500gph @ 50 sec = 6.9 gal). Route was right at 4 miles with "mostly" WOT time. No wake zone at the beginning and end, and one in the middle to go under the bridge.

View attachment 130936

Each time, coming off plane at the end it would pump that 45-50 seconds of water out. We made one 12mile run at almost WOT (7k rpm), and it pumped for a little over a minute or so.

I checked the oil level and color 4 times over the weekend. It doesn't appear to be effecting the oil at all. So at this point I'm fairly positive it's coming from the exhaust side of the engine behind the rear bulkhead. No idea how/where/why it's doing it, but I've gotten to the point it's more of a nuisance than a real problem. Just check the bilge often to make sure the pump is working and away I go. I can't see it hurting anything mechanical at this point, so I'm just living with it.

At some point life will calm down and I'll have some spare time to tear into the boat to figure out WTF is going on.....I hope.
Without rereading the entire thread, are the clamps on the waterboxes still good & tight?