• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Warm water from Bilge.....on the water need some help.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure what that part is or where it's located. Can't find my link to the exploded views either.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks.

I've sat in the engine bay with the thing running at speed. Didn't see an obvious leak from anywhere in that area, but I can certainly check again. That space is covered by the exhaust manifold so it's exceptionally difficult to see.

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@2kwik4u hope your outcome is better than mine. It took about 300 hrs before my problem cause showed itself.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@2kwik4u hope your outcome is better than mine. It took about 300 hrs before my problem cause showed itself.
At the rate I'm going that's another 4 seasons of boating. Just now heading into season #5 with this boat, and I'm at ~170hrs. Another 130hrs will probably take me into season #9 or #10 unless I start using it WAY more than we have in years past.

At this point I just keep an eye on the bilge and oil level/quality. Do a pre and post day engine bay inspection. Takes a little extra time, and seems kinda silly, but I have no idea where else to look for this stupid leak.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@ross l Thanks for the tip. I'll give it another look next time I'm out.

Water isn't usually scalding, but it's clearly warmer than lake water. This past weekend it was not quite as warm as the witness port, but the lake was 59deg, and the water was probably closer to 100deg.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you find the cause?
If I remember right his was a cracked housing, maybe a cracked head. Definitely was a hard part failure at some level though.

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
M
Did you find the cause?
Mine was the casting/freeze plug on the bottom of the exhaust manifold. Dealer didn’t know what caused it. Jet ski shop said he is 100% it froze. Motor over heated when it finally popped out and ended up with milky oil that took out the lower end. It stopped cranking about 30-40 hours after repairing the exhaust. Ended up replacing the motor.

mcp9044

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
These stories suck! hope my 2020 last for more than 4 years. these boat are too expensive to only last 4 years on the engine. hope YES warrantee would cover these types of things.

hapyfishrmn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@mcp9044 Just remember some of these posts are the 'low-lights' of a boat issues. Many here are enthusiasts who more than a typical boat owner. They like to fix things themselves or enjoy it as a hobby. There are likely hundreds of experiences where the boat works perfect and we're none the wiser.
Some attention to detail in some areas could improve and it does seem like Yamaha tries to adapt. You generally don't see people on this forum trashing Yamaha as an overall product. If you did the ownership of these boats would start to decline.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@hapyfishrmn is exactly right @mcp9044 . My issue is a nuisance more than a big issue. I'm fairly certain @B0at1n leases his out as a rental, so there might be some unknown abuse in there to compound the issue.

Overall, I'm 100% happy with my Yamaha product and will most likely buy another when the time comes to upgrade. I tell everyone who will listen how great it is and how much I enjoy it. There are a few hiccups here and there, but after watching the BS that others have dealt with on higher and lower end brands, I think Yamaha still represents an excellent value.

Also, there are a LOT of stories of these engines going 1,000+ hours without a rebuild or major issue. Guy on the boards just a few weeks ago that captains a 242x in the gulf. Says they replace it every two seasons with over 1,500hrs or something like that. They're way more reliable than the 10-15 stories you read on here would indicate.

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
These stories suck! hope my 2020 last for more than 4 years. these boat are too expensive to only last 4 years on the engine. hope YES warrantee would cover these types of things.
these are solids boats, my damage is probably from user error and I’d buy another one without hesitation. I have spent time on many friends boats and they all seem to have more problems than mine. I’m very pleased with my Yamaha...(and not just because it’s paid me to own the boat). Boat had over 300 hrs put on it last summer.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@B0at1n @WREKS @Beachbummer @Babin Farms @Sean R @swatski ALL of you have contributed to this thread at some point or another, and I'm sure I've missed some others that have helped as well.

Wanted to post an update and get some ideas. The issue is largely gone at this point. Self cured as best I can tell. We ran about 1/4 tank of gas out on plane last weekend, and then another 1/4 tank this weekend. Probably 2-3 hours of use at 6500+ rpm. Saturday I had 5 adults and 3 kids on the boat and drove 30min up river on the Ohio River at WOT (~35mph@7650rpm with that load). Then did the same thing back a few hours later. Boat then sat in the water at a dock overnight. Pulled it out yesterday and not hardly a drop or three of water out of the drains. Bilge pump never ran either day that I'm aware of.

SO......Here's what I THINK happened. We took the boat to FL in early June. Ran it hard two out of 6 days we were down there. One day was over 75mi in the salt water with 95+ deg air temps. I cleaned and flushed the boat thoroughly when I got home, but I haven't run Salt Away through it. Just tap water for the flush at home, with the line to the jet pump clamped and full tap pressure to the cooling system. I've put probably another 10hrs or so total on it since we've been home, and with this weekends heavy load, given it plenty of opportunity to heat up under pressure........I THINK, that some of the salt water escaped through the leak in the cooling system and crystalized around the leak, and has subsequently plugged it. I can't verify that, and aside from tearing what is now a well functioning boat again apart, I'm not sure how else I would prove that.

At the end of the day, I'm no longer actively pumping water into the bilge from the engine. Which is a win, however I wish I knew why it stopped, and not just that it has stopped. I'll take it for now, and will update if anything changes.

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@B0at1n @WREKS @Beachbummer @Babin Farms @Sean R @swatski ALL of you have contributed to this thread at some point or another, and I'm sure I've missed some others that have helped as well.

Wanted to post an update and get some ideas. The issue is largely gone at this point. Self cured as best I can tell. We ran about 1/4 tank of gas out on plane last weekend, and then another 1/4 tank this weekend. Probably 2-3 hours of use at 6500+ rpm. Saturday I had 5 adults and 3 kids on the boat and drove 30min up river on the Ohio River at WOT (~35mph@7650rpm with that load). Then did the same thing back a few hours later. Boat then sat in the water at a dock overnight. Pulled it out yesterday and not hardly a drop or three of water out of the drains. Bilge pump never ran either day that I'm aware of.

SO......Here's what I THINK happened. We took the boat to FL in early June. Ran it hard two out of 6 days we were down there. One day was over 75mi in the salt water with 95+ deg air temps. I cleaned and flushed the boat thoroughly when I got home, but I haven't run Salt Away through it. Just tap water for the flush at home, with the line to the jet pump clamped and full tap pressure to the cooling system. I've put probably another 10hrs or so total on it since we've been home, and with this weekends heavy load, given it plenty of opportunity to heat up under pressure........I THINK, that some of the salt water escaped through the leak in the cooling system and crystalized around the leak, and has subsequently plugged it. I can't verify that, and aside from tearing what is now a well functioning boat again apart, I'm not sure how else I would prove that.

At the end of the day, I'm no longer actively pumping water into the bilge from the engine. Which is a win, however I wish I knew why it stopped, and not just that it has stopped. I'll take it for now, and will update if anything changes.
Lol, that is terrifying news but at the same time good news. Such mixed emotions. Hopefully it never returns!