• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

The officially unofficial performance sunglasses thread

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So I’m kind of a sunglasses guy and after buying my first boat last year I started looking at water sports specific performance eyewear. I’ve worked in the optics field my entire life and the parent company that I work for also owns Oakley, Ray Ban, and Costa. I‘ve owned sunglasses from all three manufacturers over the years but Oakley has been my go-to brand for the most part. I‘m also very familiar with Maui Jim as they’re a customer of mine and make amazing sunglasses.

I’ve been wearing a pair of polarized Oakley Fives Squared sunglasses when I’m on the boat but the form factor is a bit small for water usage and allows quite a bit of glare in from the sides. In order to provide more UV and glare protection, I decided to focus on sunglasses that are designed specifically for water activities. After looking at quite a few different options I decided to purchase the following:

* The “Jose” from Costa. The frame is matte grey and the blue mirrored polarized crown glass lenses utilize Costa’s “580“ technology. Costa also makes polycarbonate lenses that utilize the 580 technology but they aren’t as durable and they have more chromatic aberration than crown glass. The glass lenses are heavier but I’m fine with that if they’re more durable and the optics are better.

* The ”Split Shot” from Oakley. The frame is matte black and the blue mirrored polarized polycarbonate lenses utilize Oakley’s “Prizm“ technology. Oakley doesn’t make glass lenses so I’m not counting on them being as durable as the Costa’s but they will be lighter.

Follow-up posts in this thread will have photos, initial thoughts, and on-water info from each of the Costa and Oakley models listed above. Feel free to chime in with other sunglass options that you have experience with.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I use good old Oakley M2 XL’s with their shallow water prizm lenses. Wrap around lenses, tight on your head. Custom ordered colors, working well.

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
“Jose” from Costa - first impressions

Let me start by saying that I paid the same price for these sunglasses as anyone else would and I’m not trying to drum up business for Costa - or anyone else. As mentioned, the parent company of the company that I work for also owns Costa but I don‘t get any special discounts.

I purchased the “Jose” direct from Costa earlier this week - they had a 30% off sale and free expedited shipping. These sunglasses usually retail for $269 and I got them for $188. Costa has an excellent reputation in the industry in regards to their superior customer service and rock solid warranty. Costa’s motto is “Born on the Water” and they have two lines of mens sunglasses - beach lifestyle and sport performance. The “Jose” is from their sport performance line. One important thing to be mindful of when ordering sunglasses on the internet is head size. Costa has a nice tool on their website that can help with this - you can choose a head size from three different options (narrow, regular, wide) and the different models are displayed. This “Need help choosing?” tool is accessed in the “Customer care” area at the bottom of the webpage. Doing a Youtube search can be helpful with sizing as well. I found a video from SportRX where they reviewed the “Jose” and offered some good info in regards to sizing. I have a regular sized head and the “Jose” is considered to be in between regular and large. The video review had two guys trying them on - one had a regular size head and the other had a wide head - and both liked the fit.

There are a few different Costa models available on Groupon right now for a little over $100. Some of the reviews claim that they are fakes because they have “Costa” etched on the right lens instead of “580” which is standard. Several people who bought them on Groupon stated that they called Costa about this and they were told that some models that were made for export have “Costa” etched on the lens and some are making there way back to the US market. In the comments section of the SportRX review this was mentioned again and the reviewer said he confirmed this with Costa’s customer service team - they appear to be legit. Getting a pair of Costa’s for barely $100 is a pretty good deal but a phone call to their customer service team would seem to be a good idea before purchasing.

The sunglasses come well packaged and the case is high quality.

4EB546AB-84C8-43B3-BD2D-C5F6E10B4502.jpeg

The colorway that I selected is one of the more expensive options. The price varies quite a bit based on the frame color and lens combinations. Most of my other sunglasses are black so I decided to break from that a bit and go with the matte grey. The sunglasses come with a blue cleaning cloth, white Costa sticker, a thank you card, and some techy info on the 580 lens.

D4C7F1A5-3D28-4515-91D4-E48894A5F26C.jpeg

First impressions are positive, the frames are very sturdy and the glass lenses add some heft. The frame has spring hinged temples so they can be taken off/on as much as you want without worrying if you’re putting stress on them - even if you take them off with one hand. I put them on and walked out on the deck and the optics are clear and sharp - the fit is good. I bought a Costa lanyard to keep them firmly on my head when on the boat and they cinch up nicely. I‘m going to be on the boat tomorrow and will post my on-the-water impressions in the next couple of days.

105BC9C1-3D10-41BF-A83C-40F4ADFDECB7.jpeg

7F74140F-962F-48E7-AE5E-5D8D3D7BDCE6.jpeg

20A5C5E8-2B61-409B-B493-7FFA38342C51.jpeg

rrmidden

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I’ve been wearing Rudy Project sunglasses for nearly 20 years, on bikes, on boats, in the car, casual to high end performance. No complaints.

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Rudy Project makes some really nice sunglasses. If I remember correctly, they were originally geared towards cyclers.

I’m looking at some Maui Jims but my bank account took a beating this week from the Costa’s and Oakley’s. :)

rrmidden

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Rudy’s started out as cycling specific, but have expanded their product line quite a bit.

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Any Polarized lens will do what Maui Jim or Oakley will do.
Check this site out. They start at $48

What makes the higher end brands more expensive are the coating they apply,. Costa uses other Polarized technology and coatings on front and back of the lenses. Plus they use glass lenses which optically is better. Revo H20 is another who uses glass lenses.

The other use plastic lenses witch are fine but prone to scratching. The mirror coating when scratched plastic>glass is terrible but works great both

Last edited:

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nice looking glasss. I have been wearing RayBan's for 30 years. I have been wearing these polarized RayBan's for the last 5 years. They take a beating and have a couple of dings from being dropped, more than a few times, but nothing that catches my eye. I tried on Maui Jim's when I bought these, but they were too expensive for me to take a chance on with the way I work and play. The RayBan's have held up well, and polarized lenses are a must have on the water.

20200621_074120.jpg

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Test
Any Polaroid lens will do what Maui Jim or Oakley will do.
Check this site out. They start at $48

What makes the higher end brands more expensive are the coating they apply,. Costa uses other Polaroid technology and coatings on front and back of the lenses. Plus they use glass lenses which optically is better. Revo H20 is another who uses glass lenses.

The other use plastic lenses witch are fine but prone to scratching. The mirror coating when scratched plastic>glass is terrible but works great both
Just to be clear, and not cause any confusion, Polaroid is a company that makes consumer electronics and Polarized lens technology virtually eliminates glare from horizontal surfaces - in our case, water.

I will 100% agree that every sunglass manufacturer injects a certain amount of marketing fluff when describing the lens tech that they use but saying that the polarized lens in a cheap pair of sunglasses works the same as the high end polarized lens from companies like Maui Jim, Ray Ban, Costa, and Oakley couldn't be farther from the truth. The polarized film that gets sandwiched between the substrate come in varying levels of quality. It would be like saying that the .99c hamburger that you get at McDonalds is the same quality as the $15 burger you get at a nicer joint. They're both hamburgers but the quality, ingredients, and the way that they’re prepared are way different. The actual materials that the frames are made of are light years apart as well - cheap sunglasses are cheap for a reason. Polarized lens blanks sourced from companies like X-cel are of a much higher quality than those that are mass produced in China. I started out in the optical field working in optical labs and have seen these lenses up close.

You mention the coatings that are used on high end sunglasses and producing quality thin-film coatings (anti-reflective and mirrors) are not cheap - from the machinery down to the chemicals. The company that I work for is the world wide leader in thin film coating machinery for ophthalmic applications. The anti reflective and mirror coatings on high end sunglasses are worlds apart from cheap sunglasses.

I don’t know of a single sunglass manufacturer that makes plano lenses out of plastic (CR39) for their sun wear. Almost everyone uses impact resistant polycarbonate lenses.

You only get one set of eyes and with all of the glare that‘s present when on the water I’m not going to gamble my eye site with cheap sunglasses. :-/

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Fixed spell check Polarized.

No doubt in what your saying.
I loose a pair of sunglasses just about every outing so it hurts to loose a good set.

The RaybanP is a great alternative.
With regards to cr39 vs poly.
Poly has its safety feature but I doubt other designers use poly as their lens choice.

I love my persols i have had for years

Scott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Bomber’s for the boat for me. They float. I have lost a pair of my favorite Oakleys on the water before. Never again.

minn19

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
As with any clothing, part of it is what brand fits you the best. For me that is Mauis followed by Ray Bans. I’ve had two pair of Mauis for a few years now and haven’t needed to look at another pair since getting these. With basic care they’ll last a long time, sometimes you do get what you pay for so I don’t paying extra for certain name brands when it comes to sunglasses.

Brandon_SC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have used Oakley, Costa, Ray Ban and cheap knock offs. I pay $600-$700 for prescription sunglasses, mainly Costa 720p Tuna Alley and Oakley Turbine.
Costa’s true glass lenses are heavy, and I found them to be no clearer than Oakley’s Prizm Deep Water plastic lenses. Thousands of dollars into sunglasses, I have to say Oakley make the best frames and lenses that I have worn.
They are definitely the best fit for the active type of lifestyle. just my $0.02

AuburnVFR

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I use Costa Jose and Brine, both with the green 580 glass for the water, driving and most everything. Love them both. I use a float strap when on the water, just in case. I also like my Oakley Flak andr Half Jackets for work and motorcycle duty since they have poly lenses, but they are not in the same league being 15 years old and non-polarized.

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Test

Just to be clear, and not cause any confusion, Polaroid is a company that makes consumer electronics and Polarized lens technology virtually eliminates glare from horizontal surfaces - in our case, water.

I will 100% agree that every sunglass manufacturer injects a certain amount of marketing fluff when describing the lens tech that they use but saying that the polarized lens in a cheap pair of sunglasses works the same as the high end polarized lens from companies like Maui Jim, Ray Ban, Costa, and Oakley couldn't be farther from the truth. The polarized film that gets sandwiched between the substrate come in varying levels of quality. It would be like saying that the .99c hamburger that you get at McDonalds is the same quality as the $15 burger you get at a nicer joint. They're both hamburgers but the quality, ingredients, and the way that they’re prepared are way different. The actual materials that the frames are made of are light years apart as well - cheap sunglasses are cheap for a reason. Polarized lens blanks sourced from companies like X-cel are of a much higher quality than those that are mass produced in China. I started out in the optical field working in optical labs and have seen these lenses up close.

You mention the coatings that are used on high end sunglasses and producing quality thin-film coatings (anti-reflective and mirrors) are not cheap - from the machinery down to the chemicals
. The company that I work for is the world wide leader in thin film coating machinery for ophthalmic applications. The anti reflective and mirror coatings on high end sunglasses are worlds apart from cheap sunglasses.

I don’t know of a single sunglass manufacturer that makes plano lenses out of plastic (CR39) for their sun wear. Almost everyone uses impact resistant polycarbonate lenses.

You only get one set of eyes and with all of the glare that‘s present when on the water I’m not going to gamble my eye site with cheap sunglasses. :-/

I've worked in Optical field for 30 years so I now where your coming from in t"hey are my only set of eyes"
Like you mentioned X-cel are better quality vs the stamped thin lens in those Chinese pairs.

Those coating witch are applied in vacuums with special machines with precision is the reason the cost is high. The application process between companies I'm sure are propriety to their technology/research with makes them the top in their market.

Move away from that the major players are Oakley, Ray Bam P, Maui Jim, Revo, Persol P, Bolle back in the day and so many. It just depends that they are polarized and have glass lenses. Mirror coating and antireflective on back side manufacture went extra mile and thus more expensive.
Other designer brands Tom Ford, Gucci and other use plain plastic tinted lenses in $300 dollar frames is crazy.
I see it every day I go to work.

.Heres another example of alternative Polarized sunglasses for budget minded or have 2nd pair for boat. I had a pair. Their lenses and stamped like your grandpa's flip up sun visor

Look at Warby Parker as some mentioned to cost for prescription glasses let alone 2nd pair of sun. There marketing is with every frame get polycarbonate with antireflective. Compare that when you walk in retail store and need prescription. Their option in polaroid is what lab Optical uses unless you have Costa make they lenses prescription.
Don;t get me started with America's best or Eye Lab retrial chains. I like Independent stores as they will cater more to customer than big box optical.

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Nice looking glasss. I have been wearing RayBan's for 30 years. I have been wearing these polarized RayBan's for the last 5 years. They take a beating and have a couple of dings from being dropped, more than a few times, but nothing that catches my eye. I tried on Maui Jim's when I bought these, but they were too expensive for me to take a chance on with the way I work and play. The RayBan's have held up well, and polarized lenses are a must have on the water.

View attachment 123470
The first nice pair of sunglasses that I ever owned were Ray Ban’s - quality frames and excellent optics.

I may try a pair of these next - I’m a bit partial to blue mirrors............ :)

Last edited:

jsg73

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have had Ray Bans, Maui Jim’s, and Costas.
I have a pair of MJ Lighthouse in the amber lens. These were my everyday glasses and still get worn quite a bit but they let too much light in under the lens for me on the water. However they are so light I can wear them all day with no discomfort.

I have 4 pair of Costa, 3 Howler (Blue plastic, green plastic, and green glass) and one pair of green Gulf Shore. All the Costas were bought from their sunset specials page or during a flash sale for deep discounts. These fit me really well and do a great job on the water. The green mirror is great for most everything. The blue mirror is great on the water or working on asphalt all day in the sun. The glass pair is just too heavy to wear all day so I only wear them for shorter periods fishing.

None of them are worth full retail but at 50% to 80% off, the Costas and Maui Jim’s are awesome.

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
“Split Shot“ from Oakley - first impressions

I purchased these through Groupon for $89 after $10 off savings code was applied. Seemed like a great deal so I bit on it. The frame is matte black and the lenses have a blue mirror. These sunglasses utilize Oakley’s Prizm Deep Water Polarized technology which eliminates glare and enhances contrast and colors. The Prizm lens has a light rose tint to it that enhances contrast and are identical to the lens that is in my Oakley Flight Deck XM snowboard goggles. I have trouble with depth perception in flat light conditions when I’m on the snow and the Prizm lens enhances the contrast of the snow surface.

The Oakley packaging is pretty standard and the Oakley case is nice.

6A93FB4D-9EC5-44A3-94FB-AE89F0021724.jpeg

The sunglasses come with a storage bag that doubles as a lens cloth which is standard for Oakley.

CF6E1C40-0089-4068-8185-DEEDE4477DF8.jpeg

One thing that I really like about the Split Shot is the way that the lanyard attaches to the temples. The end of each temple splits in two, the lanyard loop goes around a little post, then the temple clicks back together.

While this is pretty slick, I'm concerned that the lanyard cord could rub on the lenses so I'm going to pull as much of the lanyard out of the storage bag and fold it over the side as possible.

FA21F053-E25F-4DC1-B5CC-03A95439AF38.jpeg

E934DE17-4AF7-4717-A1EC-FD36DB3887A8.jpeg

209DD965-208A-42AB-9B93-EEDB77D27C07.jpeg

The frames are light but sturdy and the blue mirror is more like a flash mirror. If you look at the lenses from different angles they almost look silver. I put them on and went out in the deck and the optics are crisp and clear. The fit of the frame is similar to the Jose but the height (B measurement) of the lenses is definitely taller. They fit me fine but they are about as big a frame as I would ever wear.

5546A224-4224-4F01-B183-0EFB232E6754.jpeg

82E91252-AC33-4597-BAFA-B6F86B0912A4.jpeg

23785324-1EDE-4BEB-A6B9-D8BD6D14940B.jpeg

Last edited:

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Oakley 100% I spend the extra money and have my prescription dropped into them. Been wearing Oakley perscription sunglasses for last 16 years and I'm only 31

Last edited:

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Persecution sunglasses!! I'll bet that's an interesting story.....do tell!!!! 😁