• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

The Ropeless POWER of the Slingshot COASTER

Ridesteady

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Dammmm. LOLOL.
I feel so dumb!!!!

Duh... So, I don't need to sacrifice GPS speed control to run with off-set throttles/RPM for surfing....

Well, thank you. For clarifying this.

--
Haha, you're like the least dumb person I know...but you're welcome!! :)

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It really is my pleasure! I've enjoyed all of the testing thoroughly and I'm happy to share

The wake Wedge and Custom Transom Ballast are my typical setup. It's so good I can ride most anything... so, if that's your setup, you have options. I don't think your height or weight are a major factor. 5'9" is a BIG board and going to take up a lot of real estate.

I typically recommend the 5'3" Coaster to anyone over 200 lbs, but if you're throwing a decent wake and your the largest of the riders looking to share it with the family I think the 5'0" would be fantastic and more preferable for you. The 5'3" can be a lot if board to handle for the wife and kids. The 5'0" Cobra Cat would also give you a fantastic ride. It's nearly as effortless on the wake as the Coaster.

If you want to talk in more detail about either one shot me a message and I'll help you get on the right board.
I realize those cross-brand comparisons can be crazy difficult or impossible, but wonder if you have an opinion on how does the Coaster compare to a H/L Quad. We have a 59" (4'9"?) Quad that we both really like. I can ride it easily when the wave is good. But there is no way it would support support me ropeless on a deliberately under-developed wave you are using in your Coaster tests.

--

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I realize those cross-brand comparisons can be crazy difficult or impossible, but wonder if you have an opinion on how does the Coaster compare to a H/L Quad. We have a 59" (4'9"?) Quad that we both really like. I can ride it easily when the wave is good. But there is no way it would support support me ropeless on a deliberately under-developed wave you are using in your Coaster tests.
--
Perhaps I don't have a direct comparison, but I do own a H/L Time Machine that I purchased spring of 2017. I didn't know what I was looking for exactly at the time but I was at the boat show and knew I was looking for something different and better than my Rocket. Lucky it turned out to be a nice board, and I found it to much easier to stay on the wake with than the Rocket. It's a very similar shape to the Quad and shares the same fin configuration. I'd have a hard time saying anything bad about it.

The only thing I could say is that like your quad, I know it would be less than effective on an underdeveloped wave. I think that's what makes the Coaster superior to a degree. It can manage a smaller wake scenario, but becomes increasingly effortless on a better wake. Effortless = freedom = fun. You have the freedom to play around on the wave without so much worry about keeping up. A 200 lb guy can be 20 ft back and glide right back into action.

I'm not so pretentious to say it's the only board that can do it that, some of that is owed to the fabulous "Gantlin Wake". You mentioned in your other thread how far back you or your wife could come back from... it just might be that much easier with a Coaster...?
20190712_203451_1.gif

I think your question about boards has evolved with your wake from, "what board will work with my wake?" To what board to I want to ride on my wake?"

That's where these boards might vary a little more from each other. The profile of the quad you'll notice maintains a straighter line front to back. Where as the Coaster is almost a continual arch from pintale to the pointed surf style nose. The pointed nose is going to be a little more forgiving both entering and exiting the wake and the roundness is going to help you roll and rotate the edge of the board a bit easier. The fins I think are doing a lot more driving on the quad and they say the shape makes it "poppy".... and more smart stuff... lol!

Am I rambling?

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Perhaps I don't have a direct comparison, but I do own a H/L Time Machine that I purchased spring off 2017. I didn't know what I was looking for exactly at the time but I was at the boat show and knew I wad looking for something different and better than my Rocket. Lucky it turned out to be a nice board, and I found it to much easier to stay on the wake with than the Rocket. It's a very similar shape to the Quad and shares the same fin configuration. I'd have a hard time saying anything bad about it.

The only thing I could say is that like your quad, I know it would be less than effective on an underdeveloped wave. I think that's what makes the superior to a degree. It can manage a smaller wake scenario, but becomes increasingly effortless on a better wake. Effortless = freedom = fun. You have the freedom to play around on the wave without so much worry about keeping up. A 200 lb guy can be 20 ft back and glide right back into action.

I'm not so pretentious to say it's the only board that can do it that, some of that is owed to the fabulous "Gantlin Wake". You mentioned in your other thread how far back you or your wife could come back from... it just might be that much easier with a Coaster...?
View attachment 100282

I think your question about boards has evolved with your wake from, "what board will work with my wake?" To what board to I want to ride on my wake?"

That's where these boards might vary a little more from each other. The profile of the quad you'll notice maintains a straighter line front to back. Where as the Coaster is almost a continual arch from pintale to the pointed surf style nose. The pointed nose is going to be a little more forgiving both entering and exiting the wake and the roundness is going to help you roll and rotate the edge of the board a easier. The fins I think are doing a lot more driving on the quad and they say the shape makes it "poppy".... and more smart stuff... lol!

Am I rambling?
Great info, as always, very helpful!
This sounds right on. The Quad is buoyant but I still find myself having to stand pretty far forward to be able to move around, back and forth. And it has very little nose curve, it's strait and quite prone to "pearling" (as you guys call it). More so when I ride it, lol.
But I think Kate would benefit from a Coaster just as much!
:cool:

--

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

JDub

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So... unfortunately I have no video to prove it, and I wasn't consistent, but I was able to 360 the 5'3 coaster this weekend behind my 242x. I would definitely recommend this board to anyone. I can ride with my daughter, catch some air, and finally 360'd all on the same board. With that being said I may give the butter bar a try. I feel that it may fit my looser riding style better, be easier to 360.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So... unfortunately I have no video to prove it, and I wasn't consistent, but I was able to 360 the 5'3 coaster this weekend behind my 242x. I would definitely recommend this board to anyone. I can ride with my daughter, catch some air, and finally 360'd all on the same board. With that being said I may give the butter bar a try. I feel that it may fit my looser riding style better, be easier to 360.
That's awesome! We need the video next time... I've made a few unsuccessful attempts. The board is so versatile.
FYI. I just posted a group buy on all our wakesurf boards a moment ago. I've got your new Butter Bar marked down to the max discount after we meet the minimum.

JDub

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
of the weekend, but the only one I have video of. Now get out that and buy those coasters. Maybe @J-RAD will give me a killer deal on that butter bar if I drum up some more business.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Finally got back out on the lake today, and got that video evidence. Not the prettiest of
Okay, we believe you... 🙌 lol!

What fin configuration are you riding?

JDub

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Single fin

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
of the weekend, but the only one I have video of. Now get out that and buy those coasters. Maybe @J-RAD will give me a killer deal on that butter bar if I drum up some more business.
It might help drum up a little business if we share your video to the current group buy thread.

Would you mind if I post it, or you're welcome to? However you like?

As for the Butter Bar. With the current group buy price at 30% off by using the "SURFtember" code I'm at my max discount. I might have a chance to break even depending on how much we spend to ship it. It's worth to bring in the next year's model though

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Great job @JDub You really have that boat and your skills dialed in.

JDub

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks @buckbuck Lucky for me the wife and kids let me get quit a bit of water time. @J-RAD feel free to move my video.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks @buckbuck Lucky for me the wife and kids let me get quit a bit of water time. @J-RAD feel free to move my video.
Great moves, and great wave! Are you using a wedge or booster?

--

JDub

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm using the thrust vector wake with the wakebooster. 350 lbs lead in wet storage compartment. Factory surf side ballast full, ski locker full, 50 percent non surf side. I also had 3 people. Driver 120, copilot seat 135, surf side bench 190.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm using the thrust vector wake with the wakebooster.
That wave looks so good.
It reignited my interest in both.

JDub

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Crappy weekend here so no surfing, but I found this video from last weekend. Since that season is approaching I thought I would share how good the coaster is at sledding.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Does the 2019 5’3” coaster fit in the standard Yamaha wakeboard rack?

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Don’t think so. I got a great monster rack (which is the same as the one they include with the 242x) and Holds one wakeboard and one wakesurfboard