• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Those of you on lifts, bow or stern in?

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Getting my lift installed in a couple of weeks. Apparently I get the option of bow or stern in. What do y'all do? I worry that if I get some aftermarket steering assist these may be an issue if I go stern in. Sound out folks. Thanks

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have seen hundreds of lifts, but have never seem a stern in lift ... doesn't mean they aren't out there. However, with the bow in, most have the bow slightly raised, so as to let any water flow to the back for the drain or bilge to evacuate.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just go bow in. Backing out will be easy and can just glide in at end of day.

r3volol

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m also bow in. For stern in I agree with your worry about the aftermarket steering add-ons. I’d be worried they would get caught on the lift when backing in or break when lifted if you didn’t back in enough.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I had mine bow in. Easy to back out, and when pulling in it takes two seconds. Now if I had a big cruiser I would back in to have the back of boat for lounging and hanging out on boat with dockmates.

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Only Stern in for me !! Would kinda not be taking full advantage of the swim deck easy boarding platform not to ? Also makes putting the mooring cover back on so much easier. I have used both JBP thrust vectors AND Cobra Jet steering while on the lift , No problems with either.

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Not sure if you have decided on a brand / model of lift yet BUT my final two choices were Econo Lift or Hydro Hoist . Went with Econo Lift mainly because I have the option of bow or stern first even though I have never done anything but back in. Hydro Lift (much more expensive) and I had to make the decision before install ?? VERY happy with my Econo Lift.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Pointblank

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Bow in. We have a boathouse lift on open water and wind is a major variable. Cobra fins/fangs do help but only to an extent; no way I’d attempt stern in with even moderate chop.

For calm water, stern in seems like a winner.

As others mentioned, the mooring cover can be a pain to secure, especially on wider slips. We like to use snap covers for summer months.

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Bow in. Assuming your profile is relatively current, Lake Lanier is a big body of water so unless your dock is in a nook and cranny of water ... the wind/wake situation when docking will be far easier. I’m a fat old guy and dealing with the mooring cover is not too bad with my bow in lift config.

@WildCatFan54 I need to keep you dock picture away from my wife. That would be her dream boarding configuration. But since I have to deal with the foibles that are associated with tidal and wind ladened docking ... that sweet setup is not in our future.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Putting the mooring cover on isn't too bad either way if while taking it off, start from the back and roll it up going forward towards the bow. I do this from inside the boat. Then, when you go to put it back on just take it and lay across the bow and secure it around the nose of the boat, and roll it back towards the stern. I do all this from inside the boat. Then go around and secure it two the cleats on the boat. I never found it to be difficult.

@WildCatFan54 I always thought about having my lift turned around for the convenience of boarding and loading the boat. My only concern was there were times when I would be trying to outrun a storm, or coming in on windy days and hell pulling in bow first was hard enough in those situations lol.

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I go bow in however that is because my lift is parallel to the bulkhead. I unload at our dock and usually just pull my boat over to the lift. [flag]

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
yeah, stern in sounds like a lovely fantasy, but thinking it over, bow in will be easier. Thanks lads!

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
yeah, stern in sounds like a lovely fantasy, but thinking it over, bow in will be easier. Thanks lads!
Don't over analyze it! You are at the dock for 5-10 minutes of your day!

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
If you can't go thru (that's what I do), it's much easier and faster to go bow in (especially if you get caught in the rain - timing is everything/critical)

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I understand that when the winds / waves are picking up and rain / storms are breathing down your neck , time is critical and we all tend to panic. Some of us more than others !! I never boat alone and most of the time have 2 or more deck hands to assist and cover my mistakes in backing in the slip. The marina where I rent the slip is very much a party atmosphere especially on the weekends. I am able to sit on the swim platform and socialize by going stern in first. Another major benefit is access to jet pump and impeller. By controlling the lift height ( all the way up ) on several occasions I have saved myself the trouble of trailering the boat and working on it in a parking lot to remove an obstruction or other regular maintenance . @Ilmmct lol ! I will remove my pic attachments so you don't need to revoke the wife's user name / password.

rrmidden

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Whenever Lifts are talked about on here, it seems like their are two types of people. Northerners on lakes with little water elevation change that have standalone, aluminum boat lifts and southerners on reservoirs/flowages that see substantial seasonal water elevation changes that have some sort of floating style boat lift. I think it's important to state the type of circumstances you fall into to get a better answer, and this goes for most Boat Lift Questions.

I'm in Wisconsin and just picked up a new aluminum boat lift. In all my years on various lakes in Wisconsin I have honestly never seen one boat, Stern-First into the lift. Every single one has been Bow-First. But again, we are dealing with little water elevation changes and generally no current to speak of.

This being the first year the lift was installed, I actually need to move the lift in a couple of feet so the back of the boat lines up with the front of the dock better, so we have an easy step onto the boat. Right now, the stern overhangs the pier by a couple of feet, so it's a bit of a big step. Not sure I'll do it this year or just wait until it's put back in the water next spring. But once that change is made, it will be easy to board at the stern of the boat with the boat still on the lift.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
At my marina everyone has floating lifts due to water level changes. There are a lot of bigger boats that are stern first because they can drop the lift deep enough to back right over it.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I understand that when the winds / waves are picking up and rain / storms are breathing down your neck , time is critical and we all tend to panic. Some of us more than others !! I never boat alone and most of the time have 2 or more deck hands to assist and cover my mistakes in backing in the slip. The marina where I rent the slip is very much a party atmosphere especially on the weekends. I am able to sit on the swim platform and socialize by going stern in first. Another major benefit is access to jet pump and impeller. By controlling the lift height ( all the way up ) on several occasions I have saved myself the trouble of trailering the boat and working on it in a parking lot to remove an obstruction or other regular maintenance . @Ilmmct lol ! I will remove my pic attachments so you don't need to revoke the wife's user name / password.
do you have any after market steering assist? TV, cobras?

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yes , I have both. My dealer installed the JBP Thrust Vector XVs on the boat new before I took delivery. Most people on the forum (including me) will encourage a new owner / operator to get the feel of boat without any steering assist devices. I then took the XVs off and "polished" my skills ?? Last year I purchased the Cobra Jet AK set ( previously pictured on the lift) and still have them on the boat today. Both good products but I give a slight edge to the Cobras.

Top Bottom