• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thoughts and demo rides of wake / towsports boats: Moomba Max, Axis A22, MB Sports

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That is definitely true, on both accounts! I love my Yami and have been very happy with the wake she has started throwing this year after I finally dialed everything in, still it is what it is, and switching sides is out of the question - for convenience factor.
I could however use a larger hull for regular off-shoring, a 240 yamaha hull effectively being about 21'(?) if that, so a comparison to a 27ft Bryant or Cobalt is more like a ford pinto to a Raptor. Yes, the forward drives are very efficient for high speed cruising compared to an inboard or v-drive it is something like 40% better, so something like a new Bryant C7 with a 90 gal gas tank can go really far.
If we ever live on a large deep lake like Table Rock or Bull Shoals here with a lift in front of a house - getting a dedicated wake boat would make sense, but with mixed use and some offshore those forward drive beasts are pretty tempting, I tell you!

--
I came very close to buying a Bryant Calandra before we got our MB. Bryant makes VERY NICE boats! Obviously, Cobalt does, too. It's hard to imagine a much nicer "all around" boat, honestly.

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well I took a leap and put down a refundable deposit to secure boat show pricing. The build sheet has the boat at $91,600 msrp, current price $69,900 for a MasterCraft NXT22. So will see how the demo goes once the weather gets nicer. 9819575A-1439-4731-BA4F-42F48342398D.jpegA8DAF37B-2331-479E-B6B7-2BA9C6470115.jpegB6E6AAA4-FA1E-4856-8266-2D690A8FB21C.jpegCF7E2BCE-8055-41F3-B2B6-06FD22D896AA.jpeg

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Congrats and welcome to the V drive family! It takes a little getting used to around docks but once you understand how to use the prop rotation and pull to your advantage it becomes second nature pulling up to docks and such.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Has anyone here ever looked at or maybe even considered one of the newer surf boats with those Volvo Forward Drives?

If one wanted to own and maintain just one boat, and one lived in a coastal area with a lot of mixed use including some offshore, wouldn’t something like a new Bryant C7 makes sense, potentially...?
Asking for a friend, lol.

I've driven a surf edition Monterey. I think it was the 23' version. I didn't surf it, but the guy who did (and has experience behind a lot of boats) said it was okay, but lacking a lot of push like you get on an inboard. So to me, it sounds like if you just want something you can just get on a board and ride behind, it's not a bad option, but you probably won't be able to do much in the way of big tricks. It was fun AF to drive. It drove like it was on rails and had a very nice interior.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Damn I have lake fever so bad right now I’m finding old videos on my phone from last season lol. With the boat shows popping up now spring is right around the corner!! Come on baby hurry and get here I’m ready to cruise some glass listening to the Raptor rumble!!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Also found this nugget on my phone :D

Delivery day first time she got wet!! What an awesome day despite real piss poor windy storm conditions later on out in the channel.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Damn I have lake fever so bad right now I’m finding old videos on my phone from last season lol. With the boat shows popping up now spring is right around the corner!! Come on baby hurry and get here I’m ready to cruise some glass listening to the Raptor rumble!!

I can relate. I pulled the cover off and spent some one-on-one time with mine last weekend. I ordered the upgraded sound system with mine which comes with the tweeter LEDs built into the speakers, but they arent hooked up from the factory so I started working on those while the Vikings were losing.
20200112_175335.jpg

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@d_coyne1984 at least you can go see yours! I'm jealous :D. I wanted to buy someRGB LED's and install them during the off season but it will have to wait for spring once I get the boat back.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@d_coyne1984 at least you can go see yours! I'm jealous :D. I wanted to buy someRGB LED's and install them during the off season but it will have to wait for spring once I get the boat back.
There are a couple perks to having the "little" boat. I can't remember if I mentioned it on here or not, but I had to lower the trailer 2" to get the new one under my 8' header. When I found out it wasn't going to fit it had me thinking about trading for one of those Mastercraft NXT's or and Axis T22's with a tower that drops towards the back and down to windshield level. She rides pretty damn low by the prop guard in the back now.

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sitting here at work and thumbing through my phone looking at some of the last pics of the season. Man I need the spring season to hurry up and get here I’m jonesing hard lol!!

AB184E09-4EE4-47AF-9961-FBEC939E9A52.jpeg

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just sold the AR195 and can’t wait for summer now to test out the new boat.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Went to the Atlanta Boat Show today. Man the new boats are getting crazy. The G23 Paragon is unreal. I couldn’t imagine having a boat like that. I guess if money is no object then go for it. The M240 wasn’t nearly as impressive, but still had a $220k price tag. I looked at the ATX boats and was not impressed at all. Very plain and bland. The bow wasn’t very deep at all which is a huge negative for me.

1EBF1E99-C59D-4776-A815-F736597E1D5F.jpegDDF58FDA-C577-45C8-A8FF-BF6094F0C3CD.jpeg

0491B776-2272-4FD4-B643-63A1CE75F9CF.jpeg

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just sold the AR195 and can’t wait for summer now to test out the new boat.
Did you get a demo ride in the NXT or just going to wait until spring or summer? Congrats on the new wake boat!

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Check out this wood effect Gatorstep did!

View attachment 110377View attachment 110378
Check out this wood effect Gatorstep did!

View attachment 110377View attachment 110378
I just saw this in one of the boats on the Supra instagram page and had to ask who made it because I couldn't find anything about it on the SeaDek or GatorStep sites. I really like it, but I also am really in love with the triple layer seadek. I wasn't going to do any new flooring in mine because the mat in mine is so easy to maintain, but now with these new finishes I am thinking about adding some color to my otherwise gloomy interior.

1579534160202.png

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yea Supra and Moomba both use Gatorstep. I’ve seem some pretty wild custom designs and when the time comes I wouldn’t mind adding a little bit of blue color to mine. I’d really love white but keeping it bright would be a nightmare I think lol.

Last edited:

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I've driven a surf edition Monterey. I think it was the 23' version. I didn't surf it, but the guy who did (and has experience behind a lot of boats) said it was okay, but lacking a lot of push like you get on an inboard. So to me, it sounds like if you just want something you can just get on a board and ride behind, it's not a bad option, but you probably won't be able to do much in the way of big tricks. It was fun AF to drive. It drove like it was on rails and had a very nice interior.
I have a real problem putting those expensive duel props as your "first point of contact" with an something in the water. - cool conception, but I don't think we'll see it stick around.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a real problem putting those expensive duel props as your "first point of contact" with an something in the water. - cool conception, but I don't think we'll see it stick around.
That is true, however standard inboards or v-drives are not much less exposed as far as propeller impact situation.
The huge advantage of the forward drive system is in their open water capability - those drives are about twice as efficient on plane.
I would consider one, with hesitation and depending on circumstances, if only alternative was multiple boats, lol, which is a non-starter for me.

--