• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thoughts and demo rides of wake / towsports boats: Moomba Max, Axis A22, MB Sports

JBlue

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
NA
@swatski @haknslash do you ever worry about your ARswhen surfing? i.e. leaks, etc. basically having unintended consequences of adding ballast bags and other aftermarket mods.

I’m in the market for my first boat, and am looking at either a Yamaha or Wake boat.

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski @haknslash do you ever worry about your AR240 when surfing? i.e. leaks, etc. basically having unintended consequences of adding ballast bags and other aftermarket mods.

I’m in the market for my first boat, and am looking at either a Yamaha or Wake boat.
Welcome to the club!
I'm not a Yamaha fanboy, but I have come to appreciate those boats and how robust the design is.

IMHO, the risks associated with overloading Yamaha jet boat are probably similar as compared to a wake boat.

Except if using bags anywhere in the cockpit - the Yamaha decks and swim platforms are self-draining (w/ a scupper) - brilliant feature.

The Yamaha rub rails leak if you push it really low, but it is not a huge deal, I would always want a secondary bilge pump in any boat used for surfing. If taking water overboard - I would honestly rather be in my AR240 than just about anything else in that size class, as far as being able to overcome being swamped in rough water etc.

Hole shot is not an issue with or without ballast, especially with twin engine Yamahas. Provided some simple mods that can help and general maintenance, everything sealed and ported and no cavitation.
(Just ask @jcyamaharider about the hole shot of my yammie, lol - last weekend he sent a few things flying off of her... as he likes to stomp on the throttles, lolol)

--

JBlue

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
NA
Welcome to the club!
I'm not a Yamaha fanboy, but I have come to appreciate those boats and how robust the design is.

IMHO, the risks associated with overloading Yamaha jet boat are probably similar as compared to a wake boat.

Except if using bags anywhere in the cockpit - the Yamaha decks and swim platforms are self-draining (w/ a scupper) - brilliant feature.

The Yamaha rub rails leak if you push it really low, but it is not a huge deal, I would always want a secondary bilge pump in any boat used for surfing. If taking water overboard - I would honestly rather be in my AR240 than just about anything else in that size class, as far as being able to overcome being swamped in rough water etc.

Hole shot is not an issue with or without ballast, especially with twin engine Yamahas. Provided some simple mods that can help and general maintenance, everything sealed and ported and no cavitation.
(Just ask @jcyamaharider about the hole shot of my yammie, lol - last weekend he sent a few things flying off of her... as he likes to stomp on the throttles, lolol)

--
I appreciate the insight! It’s fun but overwhelming to research and spend thousands of dollars on the “right” boat (which there are pros and cons to everything).

I noticed you live in the STL area. My Dad lives in Alton, and I live in Indy. We plan to do some boating out on the Mississippi and surrounding lakes once we decide which way we are going, probably for next season

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I appreciate the insight! It’s fun but overwhelming to research and spend thousands of dollars on the “right” boat (which there are pros and cons to everything).

I noticed you live in the STL area. My Dad lives in Alton, and I live in Indy. We plan to do some boating out on the Mississippi and surrounding lakes once we decide which way we are going, probably for next season
I mostly dwell on the Meramec... But love coming to Alton and boat pool 26.
If you would like to see the boat and run with us, if we are in town, PM me.

Also - if you are undecided but can wait till next year - the Shelbyville gathering is one of the best events to check out the boats, jet and real wake boats. Great people and a ton of info.

--

JBlue

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
NA
I mostly dwell on the Meramec... But love coming to Alton and boat pool 26.
If you would like to see the boat and run with us, if we are in town, PM me.

Also - if you are undecided but can wait till next year - the Shelbyville gathering is one of the best events to check out the boats, jet and real wake boats. Great people and a ton of info.

--
I will definitely have to take you up on your offer to check the boat out, probably some time next season as well. Definitely treat you to Fast Eddies or wherever.

I would think about Shelbyville, but not having a boat would make me feel a little strange? lol

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So you guys got me thinking on size comparisons. I took top view images of the Moomba Helix, Moomba Max, Yamaha 212 Limited and Yamaha SX240 and scaled them all to near 1:1 scale and the results were pretty impressive to say the least. I lined up the nose of the 212 inline with the nose of the Moomba boats. None of the lines taken from the Moomba boats were altered when placed over the Yamaha boats. Obviously this isn't exact science but close enough for spit ballin'. As I explained in my previous post the wake boats traditionally have a large cockpit compared to the bow. What was really interesting was when I took the length from the Moomba and directly compared them to the same areas on the Yamaha's. Take a look and see!

View attachment 68037

Really illustrates what I was saying that Yamaha boats tend to grow more in the bow than they do in the cockpit where it's completely opposite on a wake boat. What this also shows is a 23' Moomba wake boat actually gives you more room per foot than a 24' Yamaha contrary to what it may seem. The majority of space being used in the cockpit and sun pad area where most people would likely hang out. Both boat brands use space to their advantages just in different ways. You get a bigger bow in Yamaha's and an integrated swim platform; you get a bigger cockpit and sun pad lounge in the Moomba's
Really loved the illustrations here. Nice. One question I would want throw out is, if Yamaha got rid of the Co captain seat and made it a wrap around like the Moomba you have there, would Yamaha cockpit be comparable maybe bigger than the Moomba? Seems the co captain seat is taking up quite a bit of room in the Yammi?

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I doubt it. Yamaha devotes more space to the bow area than virtually any wakeboat. That eats into cockpit space behind the windshield. Nothing wrong with that, but the layout balance is what it is. Also, the yanaha’s stated length includes the swimdeck, where wakeboats don’t. So a 23 foot wakeboat is probably closer to 25 feet in actual overall length. The new Makai will probably be in the mid 26 foot range overall. Some of that is reclaimed on the Yamaha to the interior by not having an engine cover....but that also means you don’t get those huge storage lockers on either side of the engine. It is all trade offs.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yesterday I got a call from my local Skiers Marine dealer. Those folks have been in constant contact with me for months and they will likely earn my business one day. They are having a customer appreciation lunch at a local lake and invited me out. They'll be giving away shirts, swag bags and providing lunch. I may try and swing by to see if they have any of the new 2019's on display. Really would love to see the Makai in person.

This was posted yesterday on the Supra/Moomba FB group and this boat looks so good! Love the colors and sheer size of it. The fact it starts in the upper 70's is just crazy for this size of boat. Moomba and Skiers Choice have really putting out some good stuff the past few years.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@haknslash did you see this bad boy? My buddy has an ‘18 SE but this ‘19 is redesigned and awesome!

6033A4E5-3144-41C4-8D80-785214FCC865.jpeg E7AFC187-BA2A-4E09-823A-1DF91B5C7B34.jpeg 25E28816-2132-408E-B709-6D877C48AA99.jpeg

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Why do all the towers on these boats look like they let a first year engineer design them, instead of a seasoned industrial designer do the work? The towers are ugly. Not just kinda ugly, but really really bad ugly. Like so ugly you need to tie a steak around their neck so the dog will play with them ugly.

The bimini on the Moomba looks like someone was reviewing the "release for production" prints and went "Oh crap I forgot a bimini top, let me sketch one on there real quick lunch is in 10 minutes". It's a complete afterthought. To make matters worse, they painted it a contrasting color from the tower. I'm a function of form guy most of the time, but wow that looks bad.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I’m not a fan of the moomba tower either, but I like the Supra tower. It’s power also so folds up and down with press of a button.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m not a fan of the moomba tower either, but I like the Supra tower. It’s power also so folds up and down with press of a button.
The Supra tower is better than the Moomba for sure.

It, however, can still be much better. On an otherwise "sleek" profile of a boat, there is the "techno" looking setup hanging off the top. They just don't match the otherwise clean lines of the hull.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yea I've seen the new Supras. Just no way I could ever afford one so I just admire them :D

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yea the Pavati's are nice boats and love the aluminum hull. You can completely custom build them from the ground up. From mild to wild and every boat can be different. Price you pay for fully custom boat.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yea I've seen the new Supras. Just no way I could ever afford one so I just admire them :D
Ha yeah. I think I’m going to sell my 242 S here in a few months and take a year off from boating. Kid will be out of daycare next fall and vehicles paid off so that will give me couple extra grand a month that will be freed up. Think I will look for a 1-2 year old Supra in fall/winter 2019-2020. Have to find a deal though!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Here's some more pics of the new Makai. I think it's a very sleek and sexy boat. It even looks good in all white IMO. Wished I could afford something like that when "well equipped" :D

It's freakin' YUGE!!! Built-in trash can in the floor FTW too :)

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@haknslash Please don't buy a wake boat anytime soon, I'm a big fan of the research and reporting you are doing!

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Went to the Raleigh Boat Show today. Here is what seems like a good discount and price on a 2018 Max. Not sure if you can read it all but total cost of $79300 with $10k taken off. So $70k with almost $18k in options. Not sure if this discount is representative of other dealers.

@haknslash Want to come up here and buy it? I know you like them.
E26CCEDD-1291-4140-9B24-A936FF778121.jpeg