• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thoughts on Punta Gorda, FL?

PortTobacco II

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My wife and I are considering over the next 6 to 12 months of relocating some where between Naples Florida and St Peter's. My In-Laws are in Naples and my daughter is in St Petes. We don't want to be too close to either :). Punta Gorda looks to be a great option for an old Jet Boater like me. There looks to be many reasonably priced canal homes for sale with fast/easy access to big water. We drove through Punta Gorda last Thursday and it looked very nice to me. My wife said she did not get a sense of community (not that we have that now where we live). We stopped at Ponce De Leon park and Gilchrist park...they seemed nice but not as pretty as the Naples area.

I was just wondering if anyone could offer some insight on Punta Gorda living? The good, the bad?
Thanks
Old Port Tobacco Rich

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

YamahaForMe

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My parents own a house on a canal, 10 minutes from the outlet at Ponce De Leon. I don't have much insight into "community", but there are plenty of opportunities there. Punta Gorda Isles have a community center that supports many "clubs". My parents are members of a local cruising club that go on weekend type trips to the barrier islands, Ft Meyers, St Petersburg, Sarasota, etc.

Good luck on your search,
Steve

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My wife and I are considering over the next 6 to 12 months of relocating some where between Naples Florida and St Peter's. My In-Laws are in Naples and my daughter is in St Petes. We don't want to be too close to either :). Punta Gorda looks to be a great option for an old Jet Boater like me. There looks to be many reasonably priced canal homes for sale with fast/easy access to big water. We drove through Punta Gorda last Thursday and it looked very nice to me. My wife said she did not get a sense of community (not that we have that now where we live). We stopped at Ponce De Leon park and Gilchrist park...they seemed nice but not as pretty as the Naples area.

I was just wondering if anyone could offer some insight on Punta Gorda living? The good, the bad?
Thanks
Old Port Tobacco Rich
Look in Tarpon Spring or Port Richie

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I've only lived here for 3-4 weeks now, but I don't regret a thing so far! Dirk lives over in PGI, it's a nice area with an amazing christmas boat parade. Punta Gorda also takes care of your seawall as well, so keep that in mind when shopping. Downtown is really nice, with no franchised business allowed - makes it really nice. We walk/bike about everywhere and the harborwalk is pretty badass. I can't speak to any other areas around, but I really like this one.

112Vulcan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I lived in Naples for 18 yrs. and it's a great place to live. The water is usually very nice with the occasional bout of red tide but it's not as bad as it can be a little further north. Lots of water to explore, especially around Marco Island and south. That being said...it is very expensive if you want to live on the water. I don't think you could find property on the water under 1.5 mil and that would be a tear down or extensive remodel.
That being said, I moved to Cape Coral 4 years ago because it is much more affordable to live on the water. There is plenty to explore but the water quality can be iffy with all the recent green algae and red tide. My feet are planted here but if I had to move, it would be to Engelwood or Venice. They are great areas if you don't like populate areas like St. Pete.
I have spent a little time in Punta Gorda and I understand what your wife means by "sense of community." I never got that feeling either. Being close to Boca Grande and that area is great for fishing and boating. There is a nice array for dining and things to do. Again, it is also not heavily populated like St. Pete area.

PortTobacco II

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks guys for all the insight. Good useful stuff!!

Renod

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Grandparents built a place in the Cape Haze area back in the late 80's and they loved it there. My mom recently built a place less than a mile away. She also loves it there. I have spent many, many weeks down there over the last 30 years. I love that the area has kept some of the "old" Florida charm. If I had the chance I wouldn't hesitate to go there!

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Punta Gorda is a Great community. Really has something for everyone. Canal houses are 300+ 300 getting you something that going to need upates. Traffic is not as bad in and around PG. as it is in Sarasota or Fort Myers. One draw back is PG is 45 mins ish from a real Beach. 45 by car to englewood beach, Boca Grand or 45 by water to Cayo Costa. I also really like Cape Haze and Placid area. Canal Homes are a little newer for the same money out that way but you’re also 30+ mins from an interstate if that’s important. Also lacking the Downtime area of PG.

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Also read up about red tide if your not familiar with it. Pretty much killed 3 ish months of boating for SWFL.

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Also read up about red tide if your not familiar with it. Pretty much killed 3 ish months of boating for SWFL.
I have been reading up on Red Tide today as I'm also trying to move to FL (looking for a job there). Why can't you boat during a bloom? Is it due to the respiratory irritation or will it clog up the jets/cooling intake? Or something else thjat I'm missing?

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have been reading up on Red Tide today as I'm also trying to move to FL (looking for a job there). Why can't you boat during a bloom? Is it due to the respiratory irritation or will it clog up the jets/cooling intake? Or something else thjat I'm missing?

Dead fish everywhere. The smell is not to pleasant. I haven’t Experienced any respiratory issues but alot of people do. Doesn’t make for a pleasant experience I’ve been out a few times. But red tide is spotty. So you will find clear patches. But I still wouldn’t get in the water. But as for the boat no problem running around during red tide. Just something people should be aware of before moving to SWFL as it will definitely affect your beach/water time.

112Vulcan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It does give me respiratory issues when I'm around red tide but dissipates quickly after leaving the area. But it still sucks IMO. Also, the red tide is PRIMARILY along the beach and offshore where the blue/green algae is mostly present in the river and canals in Cape Coral and on the east coast as well. I've heard the salt water kills the blue/green algae but I have no scientific evidence.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Tarpon/Palm Harbor area is not a bad choice. Rarely ever affected by red tide, still about 45 minutes from St. Pete. Lake Tarpon is great for water sports.

ddoll2k9

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You would love PG. We are in Englewood and Love the area.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I like PG and traveled there a lot when I covered Florida. I would always stay at the four points right by the bridge and there was always something going on downtown with lots of places to eat, drink and socialize. People have always been very friendly and it is very much a small town feel but with a lot of energy. One of the hurricanes hit it hard years ago and you can still see some areas that were leveled and not rebuilt from the air. I also feel like I almost died there when my Allegiant flight tried to beat a fierce squall line into PGD. There was a solid gray wall 100 yards out my window; but we planted VERY firmly and met it 1000’ down the runway. Had to sit in the plane on the ground for an hour for it all to pass. Still love PG.

Bajd98

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The red tide we had this year was the worst since 2006. It does not happen like this every year. That being said there were times I drove through the middle of a bloom and thought I was going to die.... once going between Cayo costa and North Captiva I was certain I had entered into one of the circles of hell in Dante’s Inferno it was so bad!

To your original point ... I like PG quite a bit other than the distance to a “proper” beach. But I’m a bit biased to our island of Sanibel : )

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My parents have a couple of condo units in Englewood. They like the area and the "Community". They keep two boats down there, a 22' Scout CC and a Maverick 17 HPX-S Flats, skinny water, fishing boat. He says he and his fly fishing friend and guide Al White https://www.bocaonthefly.com/#fly-fish-boca-grande can get up into the mangroves where the red tide is not. The Red Tide conditions out in the bay affect their use of the Scout more. But they do not spend the summers there yet, either. And they are selling their Lake home here and making the area year round very soon.

Last edited:

n1111z

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Punta Gorda's very nice. I think the population's only about 25,000. We bought in Cape Coral, we like that there is more "to do", it's about 180,000. We like the proximity to Sanibel and the other barrier islands. Both are great, it's a matter of personal preference. Also, right now it's a buyers market, great time to buy. As to the tide, blooms have been reported since the beginning of recorded history. If you are totally averse to it, best not to move to Florida at all. Good luck.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Punta Gorda's very nice. I think the population's only about 25,000. We bought in Cape Coral, we like that there is more "to do", it's about 180,000. We like the proximity to Sanibel and the other barrier islands. Both are great, it's a matter of personal preference. Also, right now it's a buyers market, great time to buy. As to the tide, blooms have been reported since the beginning of recorded history. If you are totally averse to it, best not to move to Florida at all. Good luck.
Is it really a buyers market down there? Here in Tampa it is 100% seller marker... everything is selling over asking in 2 days.