• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Throttle Slip

RIDINwithRICK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So I'm getting tired of this issue I have with the center console 190 fsh sport. My max Rev is around the 6400 area when it used to be around 7000 and up. When I have more than 2 ppl on the boat my max Rev is about 6000-6200. I only have one 1.8L engine and boat takes forever to plane most often not at all with more than 3 ppl. I feel like it's being overworked for no reason and wasting gas because of throttle stop. Engine sounds even healthier than before after changing oil and spark plugs however I feel like there is too much play on the throttle and when I max it out (WOT) engine feels like It can do more but throttle stops on me. Not sure of the term however I keep hearing throttle slip. If you have any solutions, I'm happy to hear them. I'm out here in the water at the moment enjoying a beautiful Miami Sunday however I want to go FASTER and I feel limited. What should I do!!!

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Throttle slip is when you take your hand off the throttle and the throttle actually moves from the position you left it in.
You can adjust the throttle cable back by the engine compartment. I will look to see if I can find a post for you. However, it almost sounds like you are having cavitation, which is impacting your ability to hookup and get on plane. Best way to check that is when the boat is out of the water and you check the tunnel out.

Enjoy your day out on the water!

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If you remove the rectangular plastic cover at the rear bottom of the throttle control there is a screw adjustment you can tighen it. My new FSH was really bad. I asked the dealership about it but they said it was not adjustable then I found this video and trid on mine. Is helped alot.

RIDINwithRICK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thank you for all the information, links and videos. I will start taking action soon and will write back with an update. Ive been with this issue for awhile now and there is no cavitation, I always check intake grate and impeller and nothing. Sometimes I wish it was seaweed or fishing line so it can return back to normal operation.

orexismd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
You may want to check your throttle cable at the throttle control. One of my engines on my FSH 210 was only hitting between 4500 and 6000 rpm while the other would go up to 8K. After replacing impeller and wear ring, changing spark plugs, checking oil levels, sealing impeller tunnel I threw in the white flag and took to a Yamaha boat mechanic. turns out it was just the throttle cable that needed adjusting =/. Now back to almost normal, except I still have the problem that I'v lost top end from 49 to 42-43 that I experienced after my first oil and spark plug change. That and Rpms on that engine max out at 7100-7200 instead of ~7700 I initially saw when I first purchased the boat.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you for all the information, links and videos. I will start taking action soon and will write back with an update. Ive been with this issue for awhile now and there is no cavitation, I always check intake grate and impeller and nothing. Sometimes I wish it was seaweed or fishing line so it can return back to normal operation.
Just because the inake tunnel and pump are clear of debris it doesn't mean you don't have cavitation. There is a chance you're still cavitating.

ALSO, you could have the pitch on the impeller be too aggressive. This is usually the case when someone runs a sea level impeller at altitude. The engine isn't making enough power to generate more revs with the given impeller. Think of the impeller pitch like the rear gears on a truck. If you add some gear advantage (less aggressive pitch) then you can gain some revs (and power) back. It's not completely analogous since the impeller slips and gears don't, but the mental exercise is close enough.

SO......we need to be clear on what's happening to your boat to help you move forward. If you go from idle to WOT does the engine "spin up" and then settle back down, or does it just barely and sluggishly move ahead. If you have a feeling of "spinning tires" where the engine just isn't getting traction, that's cavitation. If you feel like you can't get the revs to come up, and the engine is bogged down all the time, that's a lack of power (or throttle). Two separate issues and different fixes for each.

It sounds like you're not getting enough power (since you say RPM are limited to 6,200 or so). You should be able to see 7,500+ at WOT. If you aren't getting those revs, then either you aren't applying enough throttle, or you don't have enough power. You can adjust throttle with the sensor in the engine bay, and you can adjust power by ensuring the engine is running well, and that you have the appropriately pitched impeller.

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
lost top end from 49 to 42-43 that I experienced after my first oil and spark plug change
I believe I have seen others post that the TR-1’s are rather sensitive to oil level. Too much oil and you can lose RPMs.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I believe I have seen others post that the TR-1’s are rather sensitive to oil level. Too much oil and you can lose RPMs.
Single engine FSH should have the 1.8L not the TR-1

RIDINwithRICK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
OK, thank you all. Problem solved I had put too much oil and I guess it clogged up my air filter. I took it off and ordered a Riva version however at the moment it is without and runs great. Whew! Just sounds extra loud now but who cares, it's running. Love it, I want to thank all of yall for the assistance different possibilities and alternative solutions. Much appreciated!!!