• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thrust Directional Enhancers...effective?

Icatfish247

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As I begin looking for the future boat a little more, I began wondering just how effective the TDEs are. My father has a '12 sx190 and I am plenty comfortable with the low speed maneuverability. However, my top boat targets in my price range are '08-'10, I believe before the TDEs were available.

Just wanted to ask for some user experience to know if I'm going to regret getting a model without them. For what it's worth, I'm also pushing for a 212, with dual engines obviously, so the effect of dual engine steering may be enough by itself.

I think TDE makes a nice improvement, but not enough to buy a model year a few thousand more expensive. Buy what you can afford and just learn how to drive it. You won't regret having some spare money left for mods.

Or pick up a set of thrust vectors xl's on the group buy and you won't have to worry either way ;-)

The Thrust Directional Enhancer does help a bit, but what alot of people don't think about is that in order to use the system you must first be instructed how to use it. This means you have to teach anyone else how to use it if they want to drive.

It's not hard to do, but it does take instruction.

Step one: Move throttle levers into first detent (not the second detent which is forward idle).
Step two: Press the no wake button on the dash to increase the engine rpm.

When slowing down you have to press the no wake button again which can be a bit confusing to those who are used to relying on the throttle levers to control the rpm.

Overall we believe that the Thrust Directional Enhancer does work, but a set of Thrust Vectors will actually give you more control and do not require instruction. You simply drive the boat and it responds to your input.

I hope this helps.

I have had both an '08 SX230 and now have a '12 SX240. I like the TDE, but around the docks, like @JetBoatPilot said, it isn't instinctive. I don't drive by button. I use the throttles and wheel. But trying to track a straight line, the TDE is nice. But I don't really use it there either, because I go to forward idle and then use the no wake mode. I can tell you having had original cobras and thrust vectors, and then thrust vector XL's, that the bigger fins add a controllability to the boat that you don't have without them. But the biggest factor in a jet boat, is knowing how it will respond to what input you use. Predicting what is needed before it is needed is the only way to drive them. Once you can do that, you don't need the help near as much, but it still is a help if you have them. I bought a '12 instead of an '11 just to get the TDE and the exhaust resonator. But if your budget doesn't allow you to get to that and get a well cared for boat, then get a well cared for boat without it and add the fins. Easy Peezy! Good luck on the search!

I appreciate all the quick replies guys. Just as @JetBoatPilot described, I've been pretty reliant on "driving by button" at low speeds and wanted to check on here to see if it's a game changer on maneuverability compared to the older models without the detent.

I'm still on the fence about a newer 212 not only for the initial price but mainly because the engine specs on paper are indicating minimal performance gains in comparison to the increased fuel consumption from the MR1's.

Also, from what I've seen the XLs have overwhelmingly positive reviews so they will likely be an addition down the road.

I wanted to say also, that with two sales going on, you have a choice of steering right now! I made brief mention above about the fins, I failed to mention the Cobra Ultimates are also going to give you that more responsive and predictive steering without the delay. Fins IMO, are a must if other people drive your boat. Choices, isn't it great! And honestly, I have not heard a bad thing about either system.

Agreed that TDE is a good feature but I find that docking and maneuvering into a slip with the twin jets I don't use it.
I did use it with the single jet 190 but it's not needed with twins.

I have had both an '08 SX230 and now have a '12 SX240. I like the TDE, but around the docks, like @JetBoatPilot said, it isn't instinctive. I don't drive by button. I use the throttles and wheel. But trying to track a straight line, the TDE is nice. But I don't really use it there either, because I go to forward idle and then use the no wake mode. I can tell you having had original cobras and thrust vectors, and then thrust vector XL's, that the bigger fins add a controllability to the boat that you don't have without them. But the biggest factor in a jet boat, is knowing how it will respond to what input you use. Predicting what is needed before it is needed is the only way to drive them. Once you can do that, you don't need the help near as much, but it still is a help if you have them. I bought a '12 instead of an '11 just to get the TDE and the exhaust resonator. But if your budget doesn't allow you to get to that and get a well cared for boat, then get a well cared for boat without it and add the fins. Easy Peezy! Good luck on the search!
Don’t know if you see and respond to this but if you are, please elaborate on the “exhaust resonator”, what does it look like and where is it installed?

9 years .. might be a record.
Maybe, he used to be very active here and the other site. I don’t need him to respond as I’ve found the info I was looking for but I hope he is still as he put it once, “above ground”.

Back