• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Thrust Vector Screws

Wesley Cobb

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have thrust vector X (I think) on my 2017 242 Limited S. The main metal support cross bracket lost all of its powder coat and JBP sent me two new ones. The problem is, I cannot get the screws out to remove the old bracket! Whatever "hold'em juice" JBP put on them is doing its job amazingly well! Any suggestions to get the little screws out? So far, I have tried a little heat (did not want to damage the fin), PB Blaster, high torque/slow speed drill, and good ol' grit and strength...they are not even budging. I think my next option is to drill the screws out and remove them that way. Any other ideas out there?

I have thrust vector X (I think) on my 2017 242 Limited S. The main metal support cross bracket lost all of its powder coat and JBP sent me two new ones. The problem is, I cannot get the screws out to remove the old bracket! Whatever "hold'em juice" JBP put on them is doing its job amazingly well! Any suggestions to get the little screws out? So far, I have tried a little heat (did not want to damage the fin), PB Blaster, high torque/slow speed drill, and good ol' grit and strength...they are not even budging. I think my next option is to drill the screws out and remove them that way. Any other ideas out there?

Not sure the size of the screw you're talking about, but if you've got an impact driver, set it to the slowest/least setting and "tighten" it slightly, then reverse...repeat until it wants to move. Not sure if any thread locker was applied to the screws or not, but I'd guess it's either that, or some galvanic corrosion going on already.

If you've got an air hammer/die grinder/needle scaler (you'll know what those are, if you have them, otherwise, don't buy them), apply it to the head of the screw along with something other than PB blaster. No reason PB blaster shouldn't work, I just prefer Kroil, or if you have the chemicals to make some Ed's Red, that seems to work better on tough stuff for me (CLP Break Free is similar-ish, and can most likely be purchased locally)

Appreciate the help. I will try the impact driver route first. The screws are really small with a hex (Allen wrench) head. Yes, I seem to recall there being some thread locker or a light blue substance on the screws. Guess they are made to not come out...

If those screws are small (pics aren't against the law when requesting help), do NOT use the impact. Without pics, I would say hold off on the impact, and find yourself some T-handled allen wrenches. Harbor Freight has a metric+SAE set for $20 that will work just fine.

Do the same thing (tighten/loosen), only YOU are the impact driver. Tap the wrench with a hammer or something (hence why you go Harbor Freight here).

I don't recall any of the small Allen screws on my thrust vectors having any thread locker that I didn't have to personally apply, but it's entirely possible.

I can't recall if which one (red Loctite or blue Loctite) is going to break free with pressure, and which requires heat, so check that out from their website

Back