• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

FSH 252/255 Trim Tab Project

Zackdadams

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
As a person with zero electrical inclinations where should I go in the Clearwater/Tampa/St Pete area to have these installed once I order them?
Ask your dealer.
I'm sure they would install them.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Here are a few pics. This is on a new to me 2019 AR240 which i have had for about 4 weeks. I'm very much looking forward to taking it for a test ride once the 5200 sets! I did the riser upgrade and scupper replacement while I had the tray out from information i read on other posts. This fourm is a great resource, thanks again!
The plaining surfaces of the cobra super steering you have on your boat hover just over the water on plane so as not to create resistance or drag yet they do help counter the bow rise in chop and to get the boat on plane quicker as well as other benefits Also the super steering does make the boat handle like a sports car on a dry road at plaining speeds as well as steer in forward and reverse off plane at slow speeds plus add the second tie rod for redundancy as well as improved longevity of the systems The super steering actually changes it's level of influence based on the position of the hull in the water.

Noles187

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Can anyone who has installed the trim tabs tell me if 10 hours is accurate or too much, that's what my shop is trying to charge me here locally.

Attachments

Bjensen24

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I would say that is pretty high. I went ahead and installed following Zach’s walkthrough but my local shop quoted me 4hrs. I can tell you I am not super comfortable with this type of work and Zach makes it easy on us. It took me about half the day and I didn’t have any help.

Attachments

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Can anyone who has installed the trim tabs tell me if 10 hours is accurate or too much, that's what my shop is trying to charge me here locally.
10 Is high I installed mine without ever doing it before in about 3-5 hours. Longest part for me was measuring 100 times to make sure its in the perfect spot. Once bolted in the wiring was maybe a 30 minute job.

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
As others have said.... I also spent a lot of time measuring, mocking up and planning.

I had some additional time modifying my 10 x 14 tab mounting plate so they would fit around my underwater lights on my 275SD to give them proper clearance with the bottom of the hull. That maybe took me an additional 20 - 30 minutes for two tabs.

Installing the Controller, power and then running the wiring harnesses to the helm was not bad. I took my time because I like things nice and neat so I would say it took me an hour to get that done once I had all the pieces and I had planned out the way I wanted it installed.

I think some of your dealer's time is assuming they will need two men. There are times two people make it easier with some of the steps... at least in my case with the heavy duty stainless steel tabs that are pretty heavy to hold steady while trying to mark, align, etc.

I think 10 hours is high and the dealer is probably trying to cover themselves if they haven't done it before. I would ask them if it takes less time, will they charge you less.

Knowing what I know after doing it once..... I would say two people for about 90 minutes (or 3 hours) and then another 2 hours.... and that assumes you have everything you need in front of you.

Doing it for the first time... I could see taking the time from ~5 hours up to ~7 - 8 hours not knowing what you don't know and wanting to get it right.

If you don't want to do it yourself, I would try taking it to an actual marine shop. It sounds like your dealer is more of a powersports dealer and not necessarily a marine products expert.

Down here in southwest Florida many boats have trim tabs for running out in the gulf. That's why I installed mine before I ever dropped the boat in the water. I would think a shop that only sells and services boats would have installed / replaced trim tabs numerous times and it would be more of a slam-dunk for them.

Noles187

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
I called 12 shops today and was told by every single one that they won't do it. One told me they don't do jetboats. I live in Clearwater, FL. I'm not paying 2k for an install I will do it myself or find someone who can. I bought the boat brand new from cycle springs in Clearwater and they are the ones with this high quote. I've had a hell of a time even getting in touch with them they are terrible at responding to their customers. On top of that I have dropped 25k on my stereo all through them. You think they would take care of someone who bought one of their most expensive boats brand new full retail and gets all my work done through them but unfortunately the ONLY part of the company thats been good at communicating so far is the sales guy I bought it from.

Noles187

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Thanks Zack! I just got off the phone with Rockstar Powersports and I'm hoping they can do it for me as they did them on a buddy's boat. He said they are always fair and good to him, so I'm hoping I it all works out for me as well.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
check with Tom 727 641 7533 local mechanic who worked for a dealer as a mobile mechanic

bttally

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Boating season starting soon in my neck of the woods.

I'll write up a more detailed review hopefully next week. 🚤🌊🌊🌊
How is the Auto control working for you? I'm trying to decide if it's worth the money over manual.
Thanks!

Zackdadams

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I'm still forming an opinion on it.
Only been able to take it out a few times since install.

So far I'm happy with it.
It really puts the nose down and makes for a smoother ride.
Just set and forget.

However when coming back in with a cross wind/waves, I switched to manual mode for better control.