• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

FSH 252/255 VHF Radio Project

Zackdadams

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Here is a detailed walk-through of my VHF Radio installation on the FSH 252.
I was inspired by many members of the community, and will be linking to their posts.

Don't forget to register an MMSI.
index

Part 1: The VHF Radio

20220321_153651.jpg

I researched VHF Radios for quite a while, and ultimately decided on the Icom M330G.
It has all the features I wanted, plus GPS.
You'll also need to buy the flush mount kit.

IcomM330G.png

A while back @GrampaDoug had installed a locking glove box, which I loved.
I decided to do the same.

Step 1: Prepare Opening

You'll want to remove the black plate held in place with 6 phillips head screws.
Once off, you'll need to assess the opening, and determine if you need to do any cutting.
In my case, the opening was pretty jagged, and poorly cut at the factory.

20220318_142857.jpg

I decided to place the VHF on the right, to allow my first mate to use it while i'm driving, rather than reach over the steering wheel.
The glove box would go on the left.
I checked the size of the opening with the Glove Box, and it was just a little too tight.
So i masked it off with painters tape, and used a jig saw to cut the opening about an 1/8" larger all the way around.
Make sure to wear a mask and goggles for safety!
20220318_145153.jpg 20220318_145146.jpg

Once the Glove Box fit properly, I took some measurements, and masked off the black plate.
Just a side note: This black plate is plastic, and can easily break.
Take extra precautions while you are handling it.
I carefully screwed mine down to several blocks of wood, to ensure it would not move while cutting.

20220318_150635.jpg 20220318_151605.jpg

Using a circular saw, I cut out the 2 openings, and finished off with an oscillating tool.
I then checked the glove box and radio for fit, making more cuts where needed.

20220318_154853.jpg 20220318_152548.jpg

Step 2: Wiring

20220318_165446.jpg

Now this was not the easiest wiring job, as many have mentioned.
The access is through one of the pillars, and is a tough spot to get to.
You'll want to use the starboard pillar, as the port pillar is already full of wire.
I of course have all the fancy electrical tools, being an electrician, so I made use of my nylon fish tape.
You could use a standard metal fish tape, available at Home Depot or Lowes.

I ran the fish tape down from the top of the pillar, but it just would not go through.
There is a metal lip around the pillars opening, both at the top and the bottom.
I ultimately used my endoscope to find the fish tape, and a piece of metal clothes hanger with a small hook, to grab the fish tape.

20220318_173446.jpg

I ran #12 wire inside 1/2" split tubing, attached it to the fish tape, and pulled it up to the opening.

20220318_175801.jpg

Now, as I mentioned in a few posts, I decided to add a small fuse box for all my new accessories.
The power wire that originally fed the factory Wet Sounds amp, I was using to feed my Kicker KMC5.
I'm now using that to feed the fuse box.

I installed the fuse box, and added heat shrink crimp connectors to the power wires.

20220321_142113.jpg

Finally, I mounted the Glove Box and Radio in the black plastic plate, and checked for fit.
The VHF Radio is installed using the optional flush mount kit.
The Glove Box is installed using stainless #6 bolts with washers/nuts.

20220321_131405.jpg

Now, on to Part 2, the antenna installation!

Attachments

Last edited:

Zackdadams

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Part 2: VHF Antenna Installation

20220321_121814.jpg

I usually don't go too far out, so I chose a 4' Antenna, with a folding mount.
Depending of your needs, you may want to use an 8' Antenna.
The Antenna i'm using is a Shakespeare Centennial.

The mount is a stainless folding I found on Amazon.
It seems pretty sturdy, and overall i'm happy with the quality.
20220321_102934.jpg

Step 1: Choose Antenna Location

I decided to install the antenna where I could reach it standing on the starboard gunwale.
This would also not interfere with my Glove Box location.
I screwed the antenna to the mount, and laid it down on the roof to line it up properly.
Once I liked the position, I held it in place, and drilled 4x 1/4" holes for the provided bolts.
(I realize now this picture is on the wrong side, as I moved it to the starboard, but you get the point!)

20220321_104234.jpg

The roof fiberglass is not very thick, only around 1/4", so I used a piece of solid wood as a backer plate.
This was a chunk of red oak I had laying around, covered in poly.
Using the mount as a template, I also drilled 4x 1/4" holes in the backer wood.
I had my helper hold the wood block in place inside the t-top opening.
I shot silicone in the 4 holes, pushing the screws down through the mount, and backer plate.
My helper put on the washer and nuts, and we tightened up the bolts.
I then applied more silicone to the tops of the bolts, and around the parameter of the mount.

20220321_113606.jpg

Step 2: The Antenna Wiring

I chose a location for the wire to penetrate the roof, and marked it.
I'm using a Waterproof Cable Gland to go through the roof.
I drilled the proper size hole, and my helper screwed on the plastic nut from below.
I ran the antenna cable down, and tightened up the Gland.
These Glands tighten on the inside around the wire, forming a waterproof fitting.

20220321_121805.jpg 20220321_131530.jpg

Next, you'll need to cut and solder the antenna cable connector, using the provided instructions.
Now this is a little tricky, and if you aren't great at soldering, watch some YouTube videos.
I'm not going to go into great depth explaining that, as the provided instructions are very clear.
Afterwards, the GPS antenna that was provided with the radio, I mounted inside the opening, and it gets a great signal.

20220321_124846.jpg

Step 3: Final Installation

Connect the Antenna, GPS, and power wires to the radio.
Then mount the black plastic plate using the original screws.
I found that one of the small bolts I used on the top of the glove box, was hitting the opening.
I removed that bolt, and after mounting, drilled a new hole, and ran a small stainless screw instead.
Finally, mount the provided handheld mic holder.
I mounted mine on the side fiberglass, as I didnt want to put unneeded strain on the black plastic.

20220321_153651.jpg 20220321_152848.jpg

Turn on the power, check that it works, and you're done!
I had my helper hop on the golf cart, and take my handheld VHF down the road so we could test it all out.
I'm also planning of installing some non slip padding inside the glove box soon.

Attachments

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Awesome Job Zack!!!!

Nick255FSH

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Excellent work as always Zack. Great walk through. 1 question, where did you end up mounting the GPS puck for the VHF?

MilesPrower

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Great work & tutorial, Zack!!!

BTW, at least one of the bolts for your tower footings are loose. See your photo of the endoscope. (I discovered my footing bolts were loose too when I plumbed wiring to my T-Top.)

I'd recommend pulling out each bolt, one at a time, and lightly coating the bolt's threads with Tef-Gel before re-inserting and tightening it down.

My bolts were loose and uncoated. These footings get wet (from water pouring in through the fastener holes in the deck), so Tef-Gel or equivalent is a must, if you don't want the bolts to bind.

Zackdadams

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
This past weekend I went out to one of the islands with several other friends boats.

We all communicated on channel 68.
I was running at 30 mph, and using this VHF setup sounded crystal clear compared to my friends boats with handheld VHFs.

Loud and easy to understand.

TexAg-00

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hey Zack- just a quick shout out saying thanks! I spent yesterday and part of today installing my VHF and I gotta tell ya… had it not been for your successful endeavor doing the same, I would have called it quits at the wiring!!! Man that was annoying but I got it through that rear starboard pillar like you suggested. Anyways- thanks again for the very descriptive and encouraging tutorial!

Quick side note for anyone else wanting to take this on… I used a Shakespeare Phaseiii antenna with a Shakespeare branded coax. This particular coax has screw on connectors so there is no need to solder anything. Just FYI.

Attachments

Noles187

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Copied Zach thanks for the idea love the set up

Attachments

Jay255FSH

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Finally got my set up complete… Thanks for the great write up and pictures. Decided to add a tow mirror with my set up to make towing my kids on the wakeboard easier.

Attachments

Noles187

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
IMG_6631.jpeg