• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thrust Vectors or Cobra Jet for 255XD

wvuhops

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Sorry if this has been asked before but searching through the threads I couldn't find anything. I've found tracking at slow speeds isn't the greatest on my 255xd. With the drive system, slow steering is excellent and actually better than I expected but was wondering if anyone has tried out any of the steering products like JetboatPilots thrust vectors or the Cobra Jet Steering systems? Do they help or hurt the wakesurf wave? TIA!

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You would be better off talking to each vendor individually and making a decision on your own. Some like one over the other and there's no right or wrong answer. Both products are tested, work and get the job done.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
My steering works at all speeds. It is tempered aluminum , It also comes with the patented second tie rod for redundancy , balance and to hold your nozzles and rudder in proper alignment.
Also my deluxe system has the plaining surfaces for water sport activities, a smoother ride in chop and a faster hole shot.
my super steering also allows you to turn at speed without the usual speed bleed off and maintain a straight line at speed greatly reducing bow wander, visit the cobra jet section in the vendors section of this web page Cobra is the only aftermarket steering system that is made to add steering control at all speeds and it also lets you choose the amount of influence that suits your personal preference.
remember my systems work at all speeds not just at the dock and also provide off power control. it is like driving a sports car on a dry road. Even the basic systems are very effective.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/end-of-year-sale-on-most-cobra-jet-super-steering-systems-for-yamaha-jet-boats.35927/ https://jetboaters.net/threads/basic-information-about-the-various-options-from-cobra-jet-steering-llc.16857/
https://jetboaters.net/threads/2021-ar250-cobra-jet-steering-fins-only-review.34170/

Last edited:

wvuhops

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
How does the deluxe system work with the automatic wake booster attachment that’s part of the x series boats? I’ve read some inconclusive threads that seem to indicate the cj “fins” potentially interfere with the wake booster from creating optimal waves.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Are you referring to the Angled nozzles?

wvuhops

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
It’s not a nozzle but a gate that folds down with the press of a button that then directs the water so the wake forms a surfable wave. There’s one on both the port and starboard side. The way the CJ is designed it would look like it would directly interfere with how the wake booster directs the water to allow the wave to form. The Yamaha wave isn’t on par with a pure wake surf boat and I don’t want to increase handling at the expense of of the surfining capabilities of the boat.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Ok the only steering I hear of that interferes with any wake making devices is NOT MY steering . I have never heard of any issues, perhaps you can send me a picture of this deployed and I can tell you if it would be in conflict, I know it does not interfere with the wake wedge or the other wake surfaces that Yamaha sells and since the fins are the only adjustable ones on the market I wonder how that would be, I also have the base system and the spring loaded systems also base and deluxe versions the second tie rod would be a big advantage as well as the full time assistance even if only the outside super fins.

wvuhops

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I’m pretty sure it won’t physically conflict with the integrated wake booster but I’m more concerned how it impacts the wake coming out of the boat, thus impacting the wakeboosters ability to form a wave. I don’t think it’ll help much but I grabbed a screenshot from Yamaha’s website of the wakebooster deployed. When not surfing, it folds up under the swim platform.

Attachments

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
ok cool I was never a fan of the angled nozzle setup because it was in effect all the time and had to have a negative effect on the top speed, fuel economy and control of the boat, this looks good it is deployable so you only use it when needed unlike the surf point and here is a post from a member who removed his surf point https://jetboaters.net/threads/cobra-fins-on-our-18-242x-and-new-top-speed.22744/ just to validate my position on the surf point being a poor idea, now as for your wake maker I know My system does not cause any issues with the other wake making devices like wake wedge etc. and they are located in similar positions nor have I had a single issue with the Yamaha add on kit and I seriously doubt this would be any different I actually like this design. You do have the option of the basic set without the plaining surface although I believe that surface may actually help the wave . and here is a post from a Facebook page talking about my super magnum ak-19 deluxe with the paddle steering

Scott M
How do you like the Drive control? Use it most when?
Jerry K

Author

Scott M I like it, but it takes a bit of getting used to, for sure. It’s designed for low-speed movements, so around docks/slips/trailering. It helps a ton to be able to control the boat with the paddles, which frees up a hand from the throttles. Also, I chose to install the Cobra Jet system, and it really helps with low-speed handling and makes the Drive control even better.

Tony Prwivo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Looks like we have the same boat. I installed the thrust vectors on mine ,,made a great difference at low speed maneuvering,turning was much more responsive. Very easy to install as well. At faster speeds the thrust vectors made no change to the performance of the boat.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Here is a very recent post from the Yamaha 252 and 255 F S H Facebook page as well as a video from a customer who added only my base super magnum AK-19 steering, JUST the 2 super fins, one on each nozzle and the second tie rod to his 252 f s h after ending up in the mangroves with his stock boat in an area he has to navigate through to and from his home . He also did a video that shows his drive through the mangroves etc.

Mark H shared a link.

Hi All, lame video but for me kinda shows the performance, plane speed and draft capability of the 252 FSH. On the way out was about 6 inches lower and the boat handled the lower tide like a champ.

My old prop boat, with Jack plate would have had a lot of cavitation and would have dug in or churned up some oysters at spots.

Not doing a plug, but the Cobra fins really helped me with not sliding so far into turns and keeping me out of the mangroves. On a lot of these blind corners, have to have some reaction capability except for more juice when I come across someone going the other way or a kayaker is beneficial.

Greggp2

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SE
Boat Length
Hi everyone. I'm new here, but wanted to weigh in on my experience installing the Cobra Fins super magnum ak-19 deluxe system.

I just purchased a month ago a Yamaha 275 SE. I loved the layout, design and the fact it was a jet boat and safe for the kids to swim behind and do water sport activities. Being out of boating for about 15 years, I did have a decade of experience previously with I/O's and outboard motors and I quickly realized that the jet boat, while fast to plane good at handling while power was being applied, was very poor at low speeds and also while at speed when you cut power.

I came into this site seeing if others had any suggestions and quickly learned about the Cobra system, as well as the thrust vectors from another supplier. I did a bunch of research, read a ton of posts and decided to go with the Cobra system, especially after speaking to Jeff about his product.

While the thrust vectors seem like they would help at slow speeds, I didn't see how they would assist at speed when cutting power and trying to steer the boat quickly since they retract up when going fast. This is something I quickly realized could be a safety hazard if you need to stop and move quickly to avoid a collision.

At low speeds and when cutting power, my boat would just slide, almost like a car on ice would feel. You would have to try to steer it, but your inputs had little effect.

I spent a little over 2 hours installing the Cobra Fins, which arrived about 2 days after ordering them. They included good instructions, as well as I found some informative videos from other customers on YouTube. Today, April 2, I got a chance to finally get my boat launched and out onto the water.

All I can say is wow. I noticed within the first minute idling, that at low speed the boat responded immediately to my steering inputs. It felt like the boat handled like it should have from the factory. At speed the boat felt like it was on rails. It tracked straight and turned immediately on command. When cutting power, the boat actually was completely controllable. Wow, I was very impressed. What was even more impressive was in tight quarters with other boats, I wasn't sliding and praying the boat wouldn't hit them. I had total control in forward and reverse (I also purchased the fangs per Jeff's recommendation).

Bottom line fellow jet boaters is that Jeff's cobra fins work and work well. Low speed, at speed, cutting speed and parking in forward or reverse, they make a huge improvement. Yamaha should sign a licensing deal on Jeff's fins since he has multiple parents because they just work and make a good boat, a great handling boat.

I'm not affiliated, compensated or involved at all with Cobra fins or Jeff, but just an impressed customer who resolved a couple of major concerns I had with my boat the first month I had it.

If you want better low speed handling or find that you have difficulty handling your jet boat the Cobra fins are a very cost effective solution and Jeff is a wealth of information if you need help installing them or support.

I highly recommend them.

Last edited: