• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

TN boaters - titles? NC boaters - lack thereof?

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Looking pretty heavily on picking up a boat in Tennessee. Owner claims to own boat and trailer free and clear, which I don't doubt, but he says TN doesn't issue titles for either. NC requires titles for both, so just curious if anyone has an idea how that would work?

Looking pretty heavily on picking up a boat in Tennessee. Owner claims to own boat and trailer free and clear, which I don't doubt, but he says TN doesn't issue titles for either. NC requires titles for both, so just curious if anyone has an idea how that would work?
I'm shocked about the boat not needing to be title but the trailer it doesn't surprise me, South Carolina doesn't require the trailer to be titled.

Just for comparison Alabama is the same as SC, title for the boat, no title for the trailer. Ohio, where I bought the boat, was title for both. I suppose you could call a dealer in Tennessee and ask them if boats are titled...?

I would call nc wildlife... if that is the way it is then they must have seen this before. They can tell you what they would require. Same with dmv..

@veedubtek I live in TN and a title is not required or issued, just a bill of sale showing the amount paid for tax purposes. Same thing for trailers. You do need to apply with TWRA for registration and such, but again no title required. To register your boat out of TN, you probably need to show proof of ownership, bill of sale, etc.. and apply for a new title in your state.

Do you get anything at all for the trailer @Vandyman ? I'm sure it at least comes with a COO when purchased, if you lose that you just have nothing? Or?

Actually, the guy just messaged me back and actually does have a COO. I'd imagine that would make it easy

In Mass. you would use the bill of sale to apply for a new title. I would think most titled states work the same way.

In Arkansas we get a title for the trailer but just a bill of sale and registration for the boat!

It appears you do not need a title in TN. With the old registration and bill of sale from the prior owner I'm assuming you should be able to get a title issued in NC. Call the NC dmv or DNR and ask them whats needed I'm sure they can tell you.

In Oregon state marine board handles the boat reg/title of the boat and the department of motor vehicles handles the reg/title of the trailer...go figure.

In Oregon state marine board handles the boat reg/title of the boat and the department of motor vehicles handles the reg/title of the trailer...go figure.

@bobbie it's actually the same here in South Carolina Department of Natural Resources handles boat and outboard titles and dmv does the trailers. Trailers do not have to be registered here but you still get a title for them which is strange.

In Arkansas we get a title for the trailer but just a bill of sale and registration for the boat!

I was going to make a comment about it being obvious that Arkansas would be backwards, but that might insult @Bruce... (and it was just too easy)

Back