• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

To tunnel or not to tunnel?

Pivo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hello all! I apologize in advance if this question has been previously addressed (could not find it!). I live in the northwest and run mountain river (fishing). I’m looking for a lighter weight 18’ jet boat for fly fishing. I need to transit at least 12” water or slightly less. I’m looking at a Lowe 1860 (80 hp jet) without a tunnel and a 18’ G3 CCT (90 hp jet) with a tunnel. The Lowe is a fantastic deal but I’m a little worried that it will not get me where I need to go. Given all other things being nearly equal, any thoughts on the difference in depth capacity between the two set ups? I realize the tunnel will go shallower - but how much shallower? Worth nearly $10k for the difference? Thx in advance!

Here is my two cents. As a long time fisherman and boater I think you have the right idea getting a boat to get into "skinny" water. We call it skinny instead of shallow in Florida. You should compare the draft spec of the two boats. I have a skiff for fishing with a 4" draft which theoretically means the boat sits 4" from the water line to the bottom of the boat. Of course fuel, gear, motor and crew weight make increased the draft. I love it that my Scarab is jet drive because I can go into skinny water which is common where I boat. Even in the Gulf. My skiff is outboard and I added a jack plate so I can get into even skinnier water than I could without the lift. I can raise and tilt the motor as needed through 10 inches of water. Draft plus load plus engine prop in the water distance. I owned a tunnel hull once. The sponsons were the furthest in the water have the highest draft not the tunnel. To me the tunnel design is for speed where air under the boat lifts. You are not looking for speed.

Compare the boat's draft and power drive depth required in the water. Jet drive offers the shortest power drive draft but you could suck sand and rocks off the bottom into your pump which gets expensive. You may want to compare with a skiff type boat with a 60 hp outboard with a 8" lift jackplate. The outboard will have tilt and lift to get high without sucking in sand or rocks.

Back