• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Top Down Rear View Mirror?

Buckeye Boater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have a '17 212 X and I can't stand the rear view mirror that's attached to the windshield. Its in my way when I'm on the bolster and I can't adjust it very well for when I'm down in the seat. When I had my AR192 I had a mirror that mounted from the side of the old style tower (2015) and had it mounted higher up and loved it.

What I'm looking for is a mirror that would mount to the tower and come down from there. I've seen one made by sampson which is exactly the type I'm looking for but it says for the 232 and 242, I've reached out to them but haven't heard back. Does anyone have any experience with this on the new forward swept towers?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Measure your tube diameter where you want to mount it, and shop from there. There is nothing model specific about any tower attachment other than what size tower tube it was designed for.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I posted this in another thread. $104 shipped Amazon Prime. I love it so far. Doesn't mess with my cover, and has nearly infinite adjustment on a reverse tower.

As you can see by my silly selfie, my field of view is nearly a full tow width.

Attachments

Buckeye Boater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Can anyone confirm that the forward pip on the 17 212x is 2&3/8?? I'm nowhere near my boat to check.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a '17 212 X and I can't stand the rear view mirror that's attached to the windshield. Its in my way when I'm on the bolster and I can't adjust it very well for when I'm down in the seat. When I had my AR192 I had a mirror that mounted from the side of the old style tower (2015) and had it mounted higher up and loved it.

What I'm looking for is a mirror that would mount to the tower and come down from there. I've seen one made by sampson which is exactly the type I'm looking for but it says for the 232 and 242, I've reached out to them but haven't heard back. Does anyone have any experience with this on the new forward swept towers?
I have had the same issue, fantastic mirror (CIPA 180 - really the best I know of) - but... IN MY FACE.
I moved it to the passenger side and LOVE it there. It is big enough and with the right angle - actually just about perfect and any speed for any type of observation. Perfect location, but need a BIG panoramic mirror.
I believe it was @Williamsone46's and/or suggestion I followed, just trying to give credit, it is such a simple solution but I would never had thought of it.

Not the greatest pic but the best I could find right now, you get the picture.
upload_2018-7-11_22-34-33.png

--

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I keep forgetting Samson is about 10 minutes from here. I gotta pop into their shop...
They may have an outlet store!! Or some blems to get rid of. I have no issues with a ding I may put in it the first time out.

Buckeye Boater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have had the same issue, fantastic mirror (CIPA 180 - really the best I know of) - but... IN MY FACE.
I moved it to the passenger side and LOVE it there. It is big enough and with the right angle - actually just about perfect and any speed for any type of observation. Perfect location, but need a BIG panoramic mirror.
I believe it was @Williamsone46's and/or suggestion I followed, just trying to give credit, it is such a simple solution but I would never had thought of it.

View attachment 78798

--
Wow, never thought of that! I'll have to give that a shot because I heard back from samson and they want $560 for the mirror that would work on my boat....

malibu Dan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
They may have an outlet store!! Or some blems to get rid of. I have no issues with a ding I may put in it the first time out.
I’ll let u know if that’s the case..

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@farrelltravis might have done the mirror swap to the passenger side and mentioned it somewhere, too.
@farrelltravis am I making this up? If you did move the mirror, do you guys like it?
I love that setup, it is definitely staying in my boat and no mods required.

--

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Wait...whoa...is that the stock mirror snuggling with the port-side window?

I hate that dang thing in front of me as it's ... just in the way.

I had the Samson one on my 232...and loved it. Easy to put on and take off, and out of the way when not needed.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@farrelltravis might have done the mirror swap to the passenger side and mentioned it somewhere, too.
@farrelltravis am I making this up? If you did move the mirror, do you guys like it?
I love that setup, it is definitely staying in my boat and no mods required.

--
@swatski - Yes sir, I sure did! I do love it there. I have a large mirror attached to the port side windshield. I used a RAM marine windshield mount to attach it to the windshield without drilling holes. It work great for me. When we are boating, I swivel the mirror up. When the boat is covered, we just swivel it down. We don't have a tower, so this is the best mirror setup we could do. If I had a tower, I would be looking for a mirror like the OP is looking for.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The mirror I installed is the CIPA 01609 black vision 180.
Those are fantastic for water sports albeit enormous (about 20"x6")
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QJ6Y960/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can see everything behind me:
upload_2018-7-12_22-51-46.png

And - it works GREAT on the passenger side so need for a tower mount. As shipping nor premium cover actually covers the tower, folding the CIPA down for towing or at the end of the day (under the cover) is a perfect way to protect it.

--

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length

View attachment 78798

--
I believe it was actually @jjd

View attachment 78798

--
I believe it was @J-RAD that suggested that.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
This is why I read all of these threads. Well, most of them. I should be able to swap the factory mirror arm to the port side and a cipa 180 and adapter is on the way. So simple it's genius. Hated the mirror in my face.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Which cipa adapter are you using on the RAM Mounts? I'm liking that option for the port-side window...