• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Top speed SX190 1.8l N/A - Mods to consider - Is the juice worth the squeeze?

override

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
PWC
Awesome guys! Thank you all for the input! Looks like I'll hold off on the 190 and keep looking for a 192 or 212. Anything over 21ft is more than I need or want so the 24s are out.

Nauti-Nurse

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know this is a bit of an older MOD thread but I thought I'd start here. I am inquiring about a simple bolt on mod from RIVA. The Power Filter Kit with the K&N filter/velocity stack/ crankcase breather. The kit lists that it will fit the 2018 FX HO 1.8L.... So is it safe to assume that the throttle body diameter of my 2018 AR190 would be the same diameter to match the velocity stack of the same engine that's in the FX HO??? Has anyone used this kit from RIVA and was there any noticeable improvement after allowing the motor to breath better? Almost every race ski i've owned, better air intake was a given part to modify.... So IS THE JUICE WORTH THE SQUEEZE on this one if it truly is a compatible bolt on?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know this is a bit of an older MOD thread but I thought I'd start here. I am inquiring about a simple bolt on mod from RIVA. The Power Filter Kit with the K&N filter/velocity stack/ crankcase breather. The kit lists that it will fit the 2018 FX HO 1.8L.... So is it safe to assume that the throttle body diameter of my 2018 AR190 would be the same diameter to match the velocity stack of the same engine that's in the FX HO??? Has anyone used this kit from RIVA and was there any noticeable improvement after allowing the motor to breath better? Almost every race ski i've owned, better air intake was a given part to modify.... So IS THE JUICE WORTH THE SQUEEZE on this one if it truly is a compatible bolt on?
In a n/a 190 it will not make much of a difference. Maybe 50rpm gain on top, if that.
You can just take the filter off and do a couple of runs, you won’t hurt anything - that will tell you if filter mods are worth it in your boat.

I did that twice and eventually switched back to the OEM boxes in my current 240 as those are quieter. YMMV.

Nauti-Nurse

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In a n/a 190 it will not make much of a difference. Maybe 50rpm gain on top, if that.
You can just take the filter off and do a couple of runs, you won’t hurt anything - that will tell you if filter mods are worth it in your boat.

I did that twice and eventually switched back to the OEM boxes in my current 240 as those are quieter. YMMV.

Thanks for that quick response! I figured given the power to weight ratio of the AR to a FX, actual tangible improvements would be minuscule at best. I picked up my AR on the last real useable week of the fall last year, so she only got wet once before the winter bundle up. (not that Georgia is that harsh of a winter, but my 4 girls don't like to venture out on the lake after it gets chilly out.) So with that said I have not gotten a chance to really get inside the engine compartment to see the layout.
So let me bounce these few off you... instead of removing the stock air box, do you think similar results would be had for half the price by replacing just the oem filter with the K&N filter in the air box? Then just adding the crankcase breather by itself for an extra $30...
Like I said, I haven't seen much of the layout, where does the stock air box feed FROM? If the risk of water ingestion is as low as it was on my MR-1 motor 08FX, we removed the filter/flame arrestor completely, kept the stock box and flow route and saw noticeable improvement.
Sorry I'm a wordy poster! lol I know the improvements will be small, I've just always like my motors to breath better. When I raced last I didn't have a wife and kids... so I'm being (lovingly) restricted by my wife to keep me from dropping the kind of money I did into the FZR lol!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for that quick response! I figured given the power to weight ratio of the AR to a FX, actual tangible improvements would be minuscule at best. I picked up my AR on the last real useable week of the fall last year, so she only got wet once before the winter bundle up. (not that Georgia is that harsh of a winter, but my 4 girls don't like to venture out on the lake after it gets chilly out.) So with that said I have not gotten a chance to really get inside the engine compartment to see the layout.
So let me bounce these few off you... instead of removing the stock air box, do you think similar results would be had for half the price by replacing just the oem filter with the K&N filter in the air box? Then just adding the crankcase breather by itself for an extra $30...
Like I said, I haven't seen much of the layout, where does the stock air box feed FROM? If the risk of water ingestion is as low as it was on my MR-1 motor 08FX, we removed the filter/flame arrestor completely, kept the stock box and flow route and saw noticeable improvement.
Sorry I'm a wordy poster! lol I know the improvements will be small, I've just always like my motors to breath better. When I raced last I didn't have a wife and kids... so I'm being (lovingly) restricted by my wife to keep me from dropping the kind of money I did into the FZR lol!
I would delete the ribbon for sure, and leave the OEM filter box there with whatever you want to put inside, won’t make a difference. The ribbon delete does, typical gains are about 200 RPM at WOT.

I’ve heard various opinions on crankcase breathers, I don’t think it’s generally recommended for some reason (I forgot) and in the 1.8n/a probably would not make a difference. But I don’t know.

Nauti-Nurse

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would delete the ribbon for sure, and leave the OEM filter box there with whatever you want to put inside, won’t make a difference. The ribbon delete does, typical gains are about 200 RPM at WOT.

I’ve heard various opinions on crankcase breathers, I don’t think it’s generally recommended for some reason (I forgot) and in the 1.8n/a probably would not make a difference. But I don’t know.

@swatski thanks for the info and letting me bounce those ideas off ya.

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
The crankcase breather that is sold for these boats terminates the breather at a filter. This allows crankcase fumes to vent into the engine compartment. You will smell it.

I added a catch can that installs inline, and stays connected to the intake. This catches oil residue while allowing the breather to operate normally with no lost fumes.

Moroso Breather Tanks 85402

The catch can is important on a supercharged engine. It prevents the excess oil residue from building up on the supercharger, intercooler and throttle body. On a N/A motor, there really isn't as much to worry about.

Nauti-Nurse

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The crankcase breather that is sold for these boats terminates the breather at a filter. This allows crankcase fumes to vent into the engine compartment. You will smell it.

I added a catch can that installs inline, and stays connected to the intake. This catches oil residue while allowing the breather to operate normally with no lost fumes.

Moroso Breather Tanks 85402

The catch can is important on a supercharged engine. It prevents the excess oil residue from building up on the supercharger, intercooler and throttle body. On a N/A motor, there really isn't as much to worry about.
@SamCF You're absolutely right! Coming from runabouts and stand-ups I never thought or worried about the smell of the fumes! I personally love that sweet smell of two-stroke at the races, but our fumes would not go over so well on the family boat! Thanks for pointing that out!!!
I notice you are in Greenville SC, what lakes do you frequent??? I spent 10 years living on Lake Hartwell and oh what a great day it was to drive up to Lake Jocassee!

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
@SamCF You're absolutely right! Coming from runabouts and stand-ups I never thought or worried about the smell of the fumes! I personally love that sweet smell of two-stroke at the races, but our fumes would not go over so well on the family boat! Thanks for pointing that out!!!
I notice you are in Greenville SC, what lakes do you frequent??? I spent 10 years living on Lake Hartwell and oh what a great day it was to drive up to Lake Jocassee!
I live in Tigerville, SC. We go to Keowee 90% of the time. Usually go to Hartwell and Jocassee a few times a year. We always try to go to Jocassee mid October to see the Fall colors.