• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tow Vehicle Dilemma...

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
1661739068981.png
1661739102019.png

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Those first 2 results are priced really good. Not all of those are certified preowned because they're not RAM dealers so this could be the difference in cost. I'm not certain if certified is worth the premium.
Well I have the luxury of waiting a bit to see what happens since I will be keeping the 2017 expedition. I want to see what this fall brings. I feel, not that I am right, that the car industry has pretty much saturated all the current buyers and that deals will need to start coming around.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Well I have the luxury of waiting a bit to see what happens since I will be keeping the 2017 expedition. I want to see what this fall brings. I feel, not that I am right, that the car industry has pretty much saturated all the current buyers and that deals will need to start coming around.
Also the rising interest rates are going to change demand.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm starting the search again, even though it feels like I just bought my truck. My powertrain warranty runs out at 7 years 100k miles which is end of 2023. What's crazy is I bought my truck for 34k OTD as a CPO. That same equivalent truck a few years newer is now in the mid 50's with the same mileage I bought mine for. Chevy's can be had cheaper, but surprised how much worse they are at gas mileage with the same 10sp as my truck. I can get 24 mpg all day long on the highway and I have the max tow with the higher gearing. Tried looking at Nissan and can't bring myself to even go and test drive one of those things. Tundra's are just meh to me. So it's really down to Ford and Ram. Ford's you'll pay a premium for, Rams I'm still not thrilled with their lack of gas mileage numbers with the 3.92 gearing. Which I want as we'll be upgrading the boat next.
You can get the 3.92 gearing with eTorque that would offset the gas mileage loss. The alternator is replaced with a generator and a small 48v battery. The motor assists in taking off, shifting, and towing. But I'm skeptical, I said to the salesman "Idk about eTorque because any issue with the system and you lose all the $$ savings in repair costs. I'm sure the battery would eventually fail and be very expensive" and he says "no, the battery is very small and isn't expensive to replace".. I googled it. $1500 battery. So you would need the extended warranty and be sure it's covered.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's got a few more miles on it than others its year (89k) due to it previously being a corporate vehicle for someone locally who traveled to Orlando and back on a weekly basis. It's maintenance records were stellar and they certified it by throwing in a 3y/36k warranty. The dealer we got it from had sold it originally and did all of the maintenance on it. That and it being a Toyota, took the sting out of it having high mileage. We (my wife mostly) were able to get them down to the upper 30's by the end of it.

#FSH195Sport
Glad you found the one that works for you. You know we're gonna need some pictures right?

Local Nissan dealer does similar warranty stuff. Buy a Nissan from them and they warranty it for 10yr/100k miles. Some is factory Nissan other is dealership offering. Definitely adds to the value!

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
You can get the 3.92 gearing with eTorque that would offset the gas mileage loss. The alternator is replaced with a generator and a small 48v battery. The motor assists in taking off, shifting, and towing. But I'm skeptical, I said to the salesman "Idk about eTorque because any issue with the system and you lose all the $$ savings in repair costs. I'm sure the battery would eventually fail and be very expensive" and he says "no, the battery is very small and isn't expensive to replace".. I googled it. $1500 battery. So you would need the extended warranty and be sure it's covered.
I am not sure if it even helps lol. I have the e-torque and not sure I noticed a difference between from the regular. It was standard on my model otherwise I wouldn't have gotten it.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Those first 2 results are priced really good. Not all of those are certified preowned because they're not RAM dealers so this could be the difference in cost. I'm not certain if certified is worth the premium.
IMO this is 100% brand dependant. Audi's that are CPO come with arguably better coverage than new vehicles, so the CPO is well worth the cash there. Not sure how RAM treats their CPO customers, so I can't really comment. However, knowing they only do CPO through a RAM dealership makes a difference. Likely to not get the run around in the future if you need to use that warranty.

Had an aftermarket warranty on my GMC. Used it twice. They paid both times, but had to send an "adjuster" out to get it covered. Both times it was because "I had too many line items". Overall it was worth the cash (A/C repair bill was like $2,500 I think), but it's wasn't nearly as smooth as the Audi CPO A4 I had. The couple times I had to use that warranty I showed up, signed some paperwork and drove away in a loaner car. They called when it was ready and I picked up and left. ZERO fuss involved.......I'm guessing RAM is somewhere in between.

King

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad you found the one that works for you. You know we're gonna need some pictures right?

Local Nissan dealer does similar warranty stuff. Buy a Nissan from them and they warranty it for 10yr/100k miles. Some is factory Nissan other is dealership offering. Definitely adds to the value!
There ya go. Two from this morning at work, and one from yesterday at the lake.

:)

IMG-1221.jpgIMG-1219.jpgIMG-1217.jpg

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wish I could find prices like that on a Sierra. I can't find anything south of $50k with under 50k miles on it.

Wife keeps trying to talk me into expanding the fleet. Get a 2500 Avalanche from like 2005 or so, then an '06-ish S4 Avant for a daily driver. I'm not sure I have the time or bandwidth to expand the fleet like that......even though it's probably the same out of pocket as one pickup.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

King

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's a sharp looking truck. I'm a fan of white though. Grey boat with the white truck gives a very premium look to the whole setup.
Thank you. Wasn't sure about the white at first other than knowing it would match better than the other choice that was a dark red. After seeing them together, we were very pleased with how well they went together.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
There ya go. Two from this morning at work, and one from yesterday at the lake.

:)

View attachment 186913View attachment 186914View attachment 186915
Nice looking truck. I am also going for white.. My current truck is black and it looks very nice.. But I clean my cars only a few times a year and black isn't the color for that. I had white 10 years ago and I never noticed how dirty it was until I washed it and it was a completely different shade of white.

IMO this is 100% brand dependant. Audi's that are CPO come with arguably better coverage than new vehicles, so the CPO is well worth the cash there. Not sure how RAM treats their CPO customers, so I can't really comment. However, knowing they only do CPO through a RAM dealership makes a difference. Likely to not get the run around in the future if you need to use that warranty.

Had an aftermarket warranty on my GMC. Used it twice. They paid both times, but had to send an "adjuster" out to get it covered. Both times it was because "I had too many line items". Overall it was worth the cash (A/C repair bill was like $2,500 I think), but it's wasn't nearly as smooth as the Audi CPO A4 I had. The couple times I had to use that warranty I showed up, signed some paperwork and drove away in a loaner car. They called when it was ready and I picked up and left. ZERO fuss involved.......I'm guessing RAM is somewhere in between.
I'm going to the credit union to get preapproved and I'm not going to take the check until I go back to the dealer and ask a lot of questions about the CPO and inspect the truck better.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

CPO for Ram and Ford are worth it if they're the factory warranties. And they are better as far as powertrain coverage goes.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I am not sure if it even helps lol. I have the e-torque and not sure I noticed a difference between from the regular. It was standard on my model otherwise I wouldn't have gotten it.
yeah the e-torque doesn't really impact gas mileage much. I was more referring to the comparison between the F150 ecoboost and all the other models. The gas mileage on that thing is amazing. Granted I do use premium gas, so maybe that would actually offset itself? Love the instant torque and the power is incredible.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have had ford truck for decades till I got this expedtion. I Looked at them and the prices they were quoting were high. That is when I started looking at other brands.
Yeah I'm not really a Ford guy. It just happened to be the best of the best that I test drove. Now looking again it's back down the the Ram and the F150. Which is what I settled on the last time I bought this one.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Etorque is considered wildly unreliable in the wagoneer forums. The e torque module (8k) is typically the issue, and it take forever to get parts to fix under warranty. It might be better on the ram, but it was a huge issue on wagoneer. Replacing it with the turbo i6 was the best choice (other than just leaving a base 5.7 in it without eTorque).

I still stand behind my comments of "if you care about mpg you should be getting the small diesel motors". Ford axed theirs in the name of profits for the hybrid model, but the ram and gm ones are doing great. They're hard to.find, and highly desirable in every vehicle they go in.

All that said, when i ran numbers for us, with the limited amount my wife drivers we would never make our money back on a diesel tahoe vs gas, so we ended up in an expedition because my wife liked those most.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
yeah the e-torque doesn't really impact gas mileage much. I was more referring to the comparison between the F150 ecoboost and all the other models. The gas mileage on that thing is amazing. Granted I do use premium gas, so maybe that would actually offset itself? Love the instant torque and the power is incredible.
I wouldn't say im.unimpressed with the fuel economy on our expedition, but i wouldnt call it amazing either. It's still not great on the highway, 20ish at 75 to 80 mph. It does really well in town though, provided you stay out of boost. But it's also slow when you're out of boost, not a big deal for our family hauler, but I suspect that'd hurt if towing or you were in a rush.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

I guess I need to start doing research on extended warranties soon. My 3/36 is up in November.
Etorque is considered wildly unreliable in the wagoneer forums. The e torque module (8k) is typically the issue, and it take forever to get parts to fix under warranty. It might be better on the ram, but it was a huge issue on wagoneer. Replacing it with the turbo i6 was the best choice (other than just leaving a base 5.7 in it without eTorque).

I still stand behind my comments of "if you care about mpg you should be getting the small diesel motors". Ford axed theirs in the name of profits for the hybrid model, but the ram and gm ones are doing great. They're hard to.find, and highly desirable in every vehicle they go in.

All that said, when i ran numbers for us, with the limited amount my wife drivers we would never make our money back on a diesel tahoe vs gas, so we ended up in an expedition because my wife liked those most.
It's weird that had such failures. I don't recall anything like that on the Rams, and they e-torque has been out 3-4 years before the Wagoneer. Wonder if it was bad supply chain issues?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wouldn't say im.unimpressed with the fuel economy on our expedition, but i wouldnt call it amazing either. It's still not great on the highway, 20ish at 75 to 80 mph. It does really well in town though, provided you stay out of boost. But it's also slow when you're out of boost, not a big deal for our family hauler, but I suspect that'd hurt if towing or you were in a rush.
Towing from Michigan to Florida a few weeks ago, in my 2017 Expedition I got 9 mpg towing. Was not super thrilled. Didn't miss many gas stations.